Boat name: Zuben 'Ubi
Make: Avon
Length: 7m +
Engine: E-TEC 200 HO
MMSI: Ti Nafto?
Send a message via Skype™ to Nick Thomas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hightower View Post
So do all pumps in Garages shut off at 100 litres then? Most I've put in a boat is 80. I'm having to fill up my 200 litre tank soon, that'll hack a few motorists off, specially if I fill the car at the same time
Don't forget to fill the boat with water, check car & trailer tyre pressures, do your weekly shop in the obligatory mini-mart, and while you're at it have a punt at the Lottery, deliberating very carefully over the sixth number!
Old 23 September 2007, 22:20   #42

Town: Salcombe, Devon, UK
Boat name: BananaShark
Make: BananaShark
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2xYanmar 260 diesels
You should try filling up with 160 litres of super mixing the oil in as you go whilst standing a considerable distance above the ground on the back of a Volvo FL10 flatbed a considerable distance off the ground (you can touch the roofs of some canopies!)!
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2007, 12:11   #43

Town: Torbay
Boat name: Loupy Lou
Make: Yamaha 480R
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50HP
When I fill up at tescos I take up two pumps so fill the car with diesel and pay in the kiosk and then fill the rib up and pay at pump!! it really annoys the bloke behind you who sees you walk back and starts to pull forwards only for you to start filling up the ribs tanks! Mine are in a rear bench seat so I just tip the lid up and fill up most people would think it was a proper tank not two 25l plastics
Old 24 September 2007, 12:45   #44
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrumdown View Post
When I fill up at tescos I take up two pumps so fill the car with diesel and pay in the kiosk and then fill the rib up and pay at pump!! it really annoys the bloke behind you who sees you walk back and starts to pull forwards only for you to start filling up the ribs tanks! Mine are in a rear bench seat so I just tip the lid up and fill up most people would think it was a proper tank not two 25l plastics
You should see the fun I have filling up now.Apart from 60 litres of diesel in the car,I've got 4x5 gallon flexi-tanks and 2x25l plastic tanks all 6 of which need premixing and I'm definitely not pulling off the pumps to do it as I'll get the amounts in each tank confused. Our local supermarkets now won't even start the pumps for me if I'm after petrol.
Luckily there's a garage I know of that'd let me fill a bin bag as long as they make a sale...

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2007, 13:10   #45
RIBnet supporter

Town: Rutland
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrumdown View Post
I regularly fill up at the Local BP M & S mini mart no problems 200 L in the rib 20L in the spare plastic container on deck so into pay three times then round the pumps as the filler is on the other side to diesel the pickup 60-80L, yep the ones behind hate me but the female cashier wants a ride, so next time my wife's not coming I've got crew

P.S. don't tell the wife
Old 24 September 2007, 13:26   #46

Town: Principalite d'Chaos
Boat name: The Nashers Revenge!
Make: Windsor Brothers
Length: 6m +
Engine: Optimax 225
MMSI: "Mmmmm SI" she said!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bedajim View Post
the female cashier wants a ride, so next time my wife's not coming I've got screw

P.S. don't tell the wife
Interesting mis-spelling there bedajim.

Nasher
Old 26 September 2007, 00:40   #47

Length: 4m +
Take a look at these guidelines from the RYA:

http://www.rya.org.uk/NR/rdonlyres/F...GEOFPETROL.pdf

For work I regularly (once a every 2/3 weeks) go to the local garage and fill up with upto 250l of petrol in a mixture of 25l outboard cans and 5 and 10l plastic cans. I carry the cans in a small box trailer, the type you see in halfords, which has a locking lid. The fuel is also stored in the trailer at work if it is not in the boat. I have a fire extinguisher mounted on the front of the trailer and carry a sand bucket incase I spill any.

We have an account at the garage and the manager and most of the staff know me now by now. When I get there I go in and give them my account card and then go and fill up. This saves me having to go in each time the pump stops at 100l. The cahier just swipes the card and resets the pump and I go in and sign all the slips when I've finished.

I did have a run in with a new cashier when I went in one sunday evening when he saw me filling cans out of the trailer and stopped the pump after 60l. I went in and he got arsy with me despite me explaining that I filled up there all the time and the manager had agreed to it. He refused to come out and look at the tanks or call his manager to discuss it with him. I went in the next day and spoke to the manager who must of kicked the guys ass as he was nice as pie next time he served me!!

I think half the problem is the cashiers/managers don't know the laws about what you can and can't fill up so just get funny when people are filling up anything except a car or 5l can. I have however the been at a garage and the cashier rightly stopped a woman filling a lemonade bottle with petrol. She took it off her and then went and poured it into her car when the woman drove off!!!