Old 17 January 2005, 15:00   #1
Seb

Make: Humber
Length: 5m +
Engine: E-tec 50
New RN Sea Boats

Looks like Halmatic have got another new contract with the MoD for yet more RIBs....

http://www.vtplc.com/halmatic/newsde...asp?ItemID=565

Does anybody have any more info on them as the spec seems pretty innovative - composite single point lifting system etc

I know it says that they've also got a second contract for more P22 MKII's but is this P24 due to phase these out already; seems from the description that they're going to be doing the same role?
Old 17 January 2005, 19:30   #2

Town: Helston, Cornwall
Boat name: Silver Fern
Make: Rayglass Protector
Length: 8m +
Engine: 2 x 250hp Verado
MMSI: 235024092
Send a message via AIM to gingercoastie Send a message via MSN to gingercoastie
There is a news article about this in this months RIB Int

Its all got to go - make me an offer...............

Skype - alexgreig
gingercoastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2005, 21:07   #3

Town: Looe
Make: Delta
Length: 4m +
Engine: Mercury
I did some of the trials for the MOD with this boat. Cant really remember much about other than it is very good, quicker than the P22 and better laid out, the seating is alot better with much better back protection.

They did trail a Delta which we put the engine in that was very good personally i thought the Delta was better but the MOD must have thought otherwise!.
I wish i could remember a bit more about them but it was almost a year ago that i tested them and have been on many boats since then. They both had Yanmar 6 cylinder engines, but i cant even remember which model.
Old 18 January 2005, 10:00   #4
Seb

Sounds like you've got a top job; testing these fancy RIBs cannot be bad!

When you go out, are you trialling the actual boats or just the engineering aspect?

Anyway, its a shame you dont remember more as its hard to find info on these military products (hush hush)

Why did you prefer the Delta? Any major reason or just personal preference? Would be interesting to hear your views about such expensive boats as i guess the majority of people (like myself) will never get to play with such kit

Cheers
Old 18 January 2005, 18:28   #5

Im very fortunate that my job is also my hobby, I love it!!. My main job is running the MOD overhaul bay at Barrus. But i do all the boat trails and pre production rigging, and pre production builds of the Outbaords. So before a boat goes into production i fit it out trail it and prop it ( all working with the boat builder of course!). This weeks boat is one of 4 new Delta 6.5m Dive boats for the MOD which have 135 Optis on. Which was a bit of a pig as i had to cut the transom down by an inch and a half to stop the engine cavitating in turns. But i took it out today for its acceptance trails which the MOD boys were happy with so..... I then tell Delta what needs doing to the next three boats and they build them to the same spec. It good fun really.
Sorry for the long story but thats some of what i do at Barrus.
As far as the Delta 24 MOD boat goes i just liked the lay out and the extra details thay had put on it, It even had sprung foot holders to try and ease the pain in you legs when its choppy.
I might have some photos at work i will see if i can dig them out.
Old 18 January 2005, 19:24   #6
Seb

Im now very jealous; i would give anything to be in a job like that Sounds really interesting though and i guess its pretty good getting paid to go boating in a different craft each time

The sprung foot holders are a novel idea - did they actually work as i havent seen them before!

It would be good if you could dig some pics out of the Halmatic and Delta 24's if poss - just being nosey of course but i appreciate well engineered products.

It would also be interesting to see how new technologies etc are influencing the RIBs at the more serious end of the market.

Were there any other neat features on the Delta as you said you liked the details?

Cheers
Old 18 January 2005, 20:11   #7

Town: Dublin & Enniscrone
Boat name: K'adó
Make: Redbay
Length: 7m +
Engine: Suzuki 300
Turbo,
Greetings.
I am very interested in the sprung footholders. Following a rough weather incident during the Christmas break where i ended up smashing my windshield with my head i am scheduled to get foot holders fitted to my Redbay in early Feb. Where were the sprung footholders sourced?

rgds
Old 18 January 2005, 20:14   #8

I have seen a few of the new bigger boats and Carbon fibre and Kevlar etc seems to be the way forward. Very strong but light but also expensive!.
Both Delta and the Pac 24 boats had the same layout with driver and navigator in standing positions at the back of the boat. The engine then fitted in front of them. The passengers having all the seats in front of the engine. The passenger seats are good too, having wrap around back supports and in the Delta great foot restrainers with shock reducing bits (hard to discribe really!)
The Delta had a single lifting point coming out from under the engine cover which was pretty smart too. Also the Delta had quick realise passenger seats which was something i have not seen before. Both had Yanmars with Hamilton Jet drives. I will try and find some photos.
Old 18 January 2005, 20:16   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezgoing
Turbo,
Greetings.
I am very interested in the sprung footholders. Following a rough weather incident during the Christmas break where i ended up smashing my windshield with my head i am scheduled to get foot holders fitted to my Redbay in early Feb. Where were the sprung footholders sourced?

rgds
I have no idea i would call Delta, im sure they would supply you with some.
Old 20 January 2005, 17:26   #10
Seb

TD, any joy with some pics?

Cheers
Old 22 January 2005, 19:39   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seb
TD, any joy with some pics?

Cheers

Not yet, im off trialing this Delta Rib for a few days at Fort bovisand. Will be back on Wednesday ish. Will have a look when i get back.