Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 18 August 2013, 14:38   #1
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Length: 6m +
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 152
New rib time

Hello all

Its rib upgrade time again. At present we have a Valiant V520 Rib, with a 90Etec, which has been an excellent rib. However we are a growing family of five, that often go out with another family of four, so space can be tight, although manageable.

So our Valiant is up for sale and we are looking for something bigger, around the 6 metre mark, and a budget of 20k, maybe 25k at a push for the right boat. We are looking for a rear bench seat, more storage and at least 100HP. The boat is used for wakeboarding, skiing, fishing, day trips etc

Am looking to demo the Ribeye 600 and Brig 610 at the Southampton Boat show, any thoughts on these boats? I know the Ribeye is a good boat, but the Brig seems to be the new boy on the block, and I could probably squeeze into a new one for the top of my budget.

And are there any other boats I should be looking at?

Thanks in advance
__________________

__________________
www.bmvs-camperhire.co.uk
Genuine VW T5 California Rental
Oli. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2013, 14:43   #2
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 8,869
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oli. View Post
Am looking to demo the Ribeye 600 and Brig 610 at the Southampton Boat show
Have a word with yourself. With a 25k budget you can afford something dead smart.

Give us your wishlist, but leave out bench seats, they're hopeless unless the boat is stationary.
__________________

__________________
Mollers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2013, 14:58   #3
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Length: 6m +
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollers View Post
Have a word with yourself. With a 25k budget you can afford something dead smart.
Such as?

And we like the bench seat idea. I have three children under 12, so comfort is a priority. Bench seat is a must in fact
__________________
www.bmvs-camperhire.co.uk
Genuine VW T5 California Rental
Oli. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2013, 15:02   #4
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: N. Devon
Boat name: Nutkin Too
Make: X-Pro Defender
Length: 5m +
Engine: Outboard, Suzuki 90
MMSI: 235095884
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,457
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oli. View Post
Such as?

And we like the bench seat idea. I have three children under 12, so comfort is a priority. Bench seat is a must in fact
I have two kids under 9 so bought a boat with a rear bench seat, 3 trips later it was taken out. Unless the bench has proper buckets or they are wedged in they'll slide about and hate it - mine did
__________________
Andy

Bude Dive Club - www.budediveclub.co.uk
GAFIRS - www.gafirs.org.uk
treerat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2013, 15:06   #5
Member
 
HUMBER P4VWL's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: N Wales Chester
Boat name: Mr Smith
Make: Humber
Length: 6m +
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 5,238
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollers View Post

Have a word with yourself. With a 25k budget you can afford something dead smart.

Give us your wishlist, but leave out bench seats, they're hopeless unless the boat is stationary.
Agree with budget point.

Wholeheartedly disagree with bench seat point. Had ours 5 yrs for cruising and playing and fishing and picknicking. Reversible back enchanted seat is perfect for watching skiing, getting out if wind (either way round) Gavin a relax on and having lunch, plus huge storage.

Unless all you do is cruise long distance in all weathers with 4-6 people, the bench is perfect. If you do, then yes, you can seat 8 on jockeys in similar space to 5 on two jockeys and a bench for 3.
__________________
HUMBER P4VWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2013, 15:07   #6
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 8,869
Mine first went to sea in car/carry seats. Maybe yer man keeps it to flat water?
__________________
Mollers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2013, 15:10   #7
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 8,869
Quote:
Originally Posted by HUMBER P4VWL View Post
Wholeheartedly disagree with bench seat point. Had ours 5 yrs for cruising and playing and fishing and picknicking. Reversible back enchanted seat is perfect for watching skiing, getting out if wind (either way round) Gavin a relax on and having lunch, plus huge storage.

.
Do you have small children?
__________________
Mollers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2013, 15:13   #8
Member
 
Barrowboy's Avatar
 
Country: Ireland
Town: Galway
Boat name: Top Banana
Make: Scorpion 9m
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yamaha 421STI
MMSI: Yeah right!
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 1,161
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollers View Post
Have a word with yourself. With a 25k budget you can afford something dead smart.
Go on then Mollers, I'll play the game....

What would you put together for 25K?

Start with a 150hp Mercury four stroke for 10k and go from there.....
__________________
Barrowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2013, 15:13   #9
RIBnet Supporter
 
willk's Avatar
 
Country: Ireland
Make: Redbay Boats
Length: 9m +
Engine: 370hp
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 13,772
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollers View Post
Do you have small children?
Tiny

__________________
willk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2013, 15:17   #10
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 8,869
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrowboy View Post
Go on then Mollers, I'll play the game....

What would you put together for 25K?

Start with a 150hp Mercury four stroke for 10k and go from there.....
It can either start with an R or an O, but not end in eye.
__________________
Mollers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2013, 15:41   #11
Redbay supporter
 
wiLlfish's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: onn de moov
Boat name: bote
Make: kevvin
Length: 4m +
Engine: jett dryve
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 455
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollers View Post
It can either start with an R or an O, but not end in eye.
yus heez rite

dem ospreyes arr crapp
__________________
fuk mee crismus leeve wiv noe ankul tagg

Wher doo I beegin?😃
wiLlfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2013, 17:11   #12
Member
 
Country: France
Town: Ile de Re
Boat name: Re lax
Make: Piranha 6m
Length: 6m +
Engine: Evinrude 90 hp ETEC
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 148
RIBase
Go for a Piranha 6m with etec 115. Bench seat plenty of storage and good for wakeboarding and skiing with raised ski pole. A dry boat in the rough.
__________________
nigel52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2013, 17:29   #13
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Length: 6m +
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by nigel52 View Post
Go for a Piranha 6m with etec 115. Bench seat plenty of storage and good for wakeboarding and skiing with raised ski pole. A dry boat in the rough.
Thanks. Will take a look
__________________
www.bmvs-camperhire.co.uk
Genuine VW T5 California Rental
Oli. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2013, 18:04   #14
Member
 
csjukes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 86
In terms of the brig 610, the 570 navigator was reviewed in powerboat and rib magazine and they were very impressed to say the least. Plus the brigs look fresh and not too many on the water. Ribeye is a ribeye and guaranteed a proper boat but i would go for the brig. 4 big jockey seats and large bench plus i think you can go to 150hp. Black tubes with a black evinrude, cant go wrong!
__________________
csjukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2013, 07:27   #15
Member
 
moore288's Avatar
 
Country: Denmark
Town: Copenhagen
Make: Ribeye
Length: 6m +
Engine: 115hp OB
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 79
Oli - just went through the same process with the same budget. There is loads of good choice at that price. I was restricted by what I could tow so went newer and smaller - 6m size basically. There was a thread on here with Ribcraft vs Ribeye where I wrote a small review of the Ribeye 600 I ended up with. For me 'the eyes had it' - I also looked at brig navigator and brig eagle 650 as where I live Brig is the biggest name and most available. I also looked at most others in the size and price range. PM if you want more info on what I found out and what is the good and bad of the ribeye.
__________________
moore288 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2013, 12:33   #16
RIBnet admin team
 
Poly's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 11,009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollers View Post
Give us your wishlist, but leave out bench seats, they're hopeless unless the boat is stationary.
Either the bench or the boat might be crap but a well designed bench seat in the right place on a decent boat is much better than most people on here claim. In reality most leisure rib owners don't take their kids out in really bad conditions; and even if they do until they are almost teenagers they probably can't get the real advantages of jockeys anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiLlfish View Post
dem ospreyes arr crapp
Genius!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigel52 View Post
Go for a Piranha 6m with etec 115.
15,762 members - all of who believe their boat is 'ideal'.
__________________
Poly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2013, 14:43   #17
Member
 
Nick Hearne's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Bucks
Boat name: Blue & Ding Dong
Make: Ribeye,SR4 & Bombard
Length: 6m +
Engine: 115,50 & 15Hp Yams
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 3,246
I like a good bench seat and looked at plenty and ended up with my first choice of a ribeye 6m and love it, 4 good jockey seats and a good 3 seater bench with loads of storage under
I have had a osprey and looked at getting anther but do not like there offering of bench seat at all!
I also do like the moulded deck of ribeyes rather than the osprey and ribcraft ply deck!
I like the look of the console but it dose not give much protection from wind an spray, but for a 6 m rib it packs in a hell of a lot in to the space.
I too wanted to keep to a max of 6m long for storage at home + ease of launch and recover on my own.

I like the look of the Humber leisure pro but was looking at new when I was in the market as they have not been launched long. Rigid Inflatable Boats - a vast range of quality ribs for both leisure crafts and sports craft from Humber Inflatables

I do believe if for some reason you wanted to sell on a nice 6m ribeye you should have no problem as they are very popular out side the world of RIBnet anyway
__________________
Member of the Ribeye supporters club!!!
Member of Bombard 380 Aerotec club
Member of SR4 club
Nick Hearne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2013, 14:53   #18
Member
 
HUMBER P4VWL's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: N Wales Chester
Boat name: Mr Smith
Make: Humber
Length: 6m +
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 5,238
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollers View Post

Do you have small children?
Yep. 3yr and 10mth.

Another option is deck holes for bolts for a bench or two twin jockeys! Now that would be good!!!!!
__________________
HUMBER P4VWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2013, 15:06   #19
Member
 
Maximus's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,694
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Hearne View Post
I like a good bench seat and looked at plenty and ended up with my first choice of a ribeye 6m and love it, 4 good jockey seats and a good 3 seater bench with loads of storage under
I have had a osprey and looked at getting anther but do not like there offering of bench seat at all!
I also do like the moulded deck of ribeyes rather than the osprey and ribcraft ply deck!
I like the look of the console but it dose not give much protection from wind an spray, but for a 6 m rib it packs in a hell of a lot in to the space.
I too wanted to keep to a max of 6m long for storage at home + ease of launch and recover on my own.

I like the look of the Humber leisure pro but was looking at new when I was in the market as they have not been launched long. Rigid Inflatable Boats - a vast range of quality ribs for both leisure crafts and sports craft from Humber Inflatables

I do believe if for some reason you wanted to sell on a nice 6m ribeye you should have no problem as they are very popular out side the world of RIBnet anyway
Yeah them Ply Decks are Shite!...... Bench Seat=Bench Mark eh!
__________________
A clever Man learns by his mistakes..
A Wise Man learns by other people's!

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2013, 15:07   #20
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 8,869
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
..... a well designed bench seat in the right place.
Yep, in a park overlooking the boating lake.
__________________

__________________
Mollers is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
rib

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:14.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×