Old 09 January 2015, 23:02   #41

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
First job is to get some padding in that bow snubber on the winch post, I have some thick rubber sheet wrapped around the post between the 2 rubber buffers. If you don',t the first time you hit the anchors hard, the boat moves forward & bottoms out & knocks a bloody great chunk out of the gel....I know this because........... I believe that SBS now do a bobbin roller mod now to counter this.
PS Nice bote see you around sometime
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2015, 07:06   #42

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xk59D View Post
new rib arrived today :-)

kudos to Barry from JBT marine for braving the shocking weather to keep the promise of a friday delivery to suit my day off. was gusting 80mph last night here and was about 40mph when the boat arrived.

Also a shout out for Jermey at JBT too, superb people to deal with on the whole.

When the boat arrived it was pretty obvious the trailer needed setup properly, it wasn't too bad but it needed adjusting. my dad is a retired marine engineer and although he says he doesn't miss it, i think he does, he can't get enough of ribs :-). he had the tools out and under the trailer loosening the axle before i had got my heated seat off!...thanks dad.

ended up moving the axle forward about 15" and moved the rear rollers back so the transom was properly supported. Result is 65kg nose weight without my anchors in the locker, spot on.

this is my first proper look at a ribcraft and the quality really is something else. you can see where the money is compared to the avon i just sold, a diff class of boat granted.

will really miss the little avon, someone is going to end up with a cracking unit there.

it doesn't look like it has NMEA setup so that will be next on the mod list to get engine data in the nav units.

First thing though is a duck cover from ebay to keep it clean in the shed :-)
Looking Nice! All the best with her!...
Make you right about the Cover!...mines inside,but still needs protecting from Bird Shite ect...infact I bought a Cheap Nylon Tarp to keep the "Good Cover"nice...and Clean!

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2015, 08:34   #43

RIBase
nice bit of post processing on the photos btw, looks like a hint of Olympus dramatic tone
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Old 10 January 2015, 09:11   #44

I couldn't tell you, my dad is the photographer, I know he has the full photoshop software, Other than that I dunno anything. I don't do cameras other than the one on my phone.

Cheers
Old 10 January 2015, 10:11   #45

Town: Galway
Boat name: Top Banana
Make: Scorpion 9m
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yamaha 421STI
MMSI: Yeah right!
RIBase
Quote:
i beach at loch lomond mate so i'll need it.
Yep, I did that once. Didn't intend to but that's another story....
Old 10 January 2015, 10:22   #46

Town: Glasgow
Make: Excel Vanguard 395
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
nice bit of post processing on the photos btw, looks like a hint of Olympus dramatic tone

Right of Camera I'm afraid, just reduced for web and lightened a tad.
Sony Nex 7 Camera on Manual settings with a 18-105 G Pro lens
Old 10 January 2015, 14:13   #47

Town: Wirral & Caernarfon
Boat name: That's Enuff
Make: Revenger & Avon SR4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Honda 150HP & 50HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrowboy View Post
Yep, I did that once. Didn't intend to but that's another story....
wot u need is a chartplotter pal
Old 10 January 2015, 17:48   #48

Town: Galway
Boat name: Top Banana
Make: Scorpion 9m
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yamaha 421STI
MMSI: Yeah right!
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Caton View Post
wot u need is a chartplotter pal
Don't laugh but......

Mr Whackywoody's coming over to see me tomorrow morning to pick my brain about loch Lomond!

Sincere apologies for thread drift Xk59D. Your RIB looks good and yer ol' man's pics look excellent! Best of luck with her once you've got everything sorted.
Old 10 January 2015, 21:35   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrowboy View Post
Don't laugh but......

Mr Whackywoody's coming over to see me tomorrow morning to pick my brain about loch Lomond!

Sincere apologies for thread drift Xk59D. Your RIB looks good and yer ol' man's pics look excellent! Best of luck with her once you've got everything sorted.
yeh, thread drift does need an apology, but to be fair on this occasion is fully justified, Whackwoody picking Barrowboys brain re Loch Lomond, well at least he'll know where the shallow lumpy bits are

must agree with Tony, your rib does look very smart Dudrus, as do your dads photos, don't forget to keep the photos coming
Old 10 January 2015, 21:48   #50

i am sure my old man will keep the pics coming, that is his hobby anyway.

first problem today, the engine had an overheat alarm and auto shutdown within seconds to protect itself, need to order new muffs more suitable for the motor me thinks.

i'll need to order a cover for it, not sure if a ducksback cover will fit, according to their specs it prolly won't....trem is another option which seems more likely to fit.

good tip about the winch post before, i can see how that would ruin your day if you had to brake hard, slight design flaw IMO but a block of rubber and some glue will sort it.

so the current mods to do are NMEA for the engine, i don't know why you would spec a boat like this and not do it, the backbone is there as both garmins are networked via nmea 2000 already....strange choice....anyways, will sort that shortly by spending yet more money.

B.O.A.T.......break out another thousand!

cheers
Old 10 January 2015, 21:56   #51

RIBase
Quote:
good tip about the winch post before, i can see how that would ruin your day if you had to brake hard, slight design flaw IMO but a block of rubber and some glue will sort it.

so the current mods to do are NMEA for the engine, i don't know why you would spec a boat like this and not do it, the backbone is there as both garmins are networked via nmea 2000 already....strange choice....anyways, will sort that shortly by spending yet more money.

B.O.A.T.......break out another thousand!

cheers
Speak to SBS re. the winch post, they now have a different bow snubber to combat the problem.
Keep us updated re. the nmea2000 connections.
Old 10 January 2015, 22:06   #52

Quote:
First job is to get some padding in that bow snubber on the winch post, I have some thick rubber sheet wrapped around the post between the 2 rubber buffers. If you don',t the first time you hit the anchors hard, the boat moves forward & bottoms out & knocks a bloody great chunk out of the gel....I know this because........... I believe that SBS now do a bobbin roller mod now to counter this.
PS Nice bote see you around sometime
if you speak to Roy at SBS I'm sure he'll do you a straight swap for that bow snubber for a roller one as its a brand new trailer, much better arrangement
Old 10 January 2015, 22:54   #53

thanks folks,

will give SBS a call then and see lay of land. I never bought it from them so not sure what the deal is there, they can only say sod off!

will keep you updated on nmea NP, i've done a lot of reading on it last while and looks like i only need a couple of bits to make it work since the backbone is already there inside the console.

cheers
Old 10 January 2015, 23:38   #54

Town: Acharacle
Boat name: Iolar
Make: Redbay
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki DF175
Quote:
need to order new muffs more suitable for the motor me thinks.
Shouldn't need muffs should you? Suzis have a flushing port on the leg don't they?
Old 10 January 2015, 23:39   #55

I will need them to setup the nmea I guess as there is a fuel flow.

I bought the muffs and the flush port kit anyways.

Cheers
Old 11 January 2015, 01:56   #56

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
Quote:
Having 4 wheels has kept me out of the merde several times.
Aye but your trailer is designed to run on 4. Running on 3 means one side is overloaded by 100 percent. Which takes us into a whole different statistical probability of failure discussion.
My boat probably does as many miles on the road as it does on the water. . I keep the one axle maintained and so far so good....
Old 11 January 2015, 10:48   #57

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9D280 View Post
Aye but your trailer is designed to run on 4. Running on 3 means one side is overloaded by 100 percent. ..
Hmm! sort of but not quite. I deliberately over specced the trailer for the boat. The trailer is a 2600kg mgw, the boat weighs in at around 1300kg. The trailer tyres are commercial upgrades, so there's plenty of slack in the setup. I'm in the process of doing a similar exercise for my next boat, having a custom 4 wheel shortened trailer built. Basically I work on speccing a single axle trailer that can take the boat & then stick another axle on it.
Old 11 January 2015, 11:10   #58

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
[QUOTE=Pikey Dave;662847]Hmm! sort of but not quite. I deliberately over specced the trailer for the boat. The trailer is a 2600kg mgw, the boat weighs in at around 1300kg. The trailer tyres are commercial upgrades, so there's plenty of slack in the setup. I'm in the process of doing a similar exercise for my next boat, having a custom 4 wheel shortened trailer built. Basically I work on speccing a single axle trailer that can take the boat & then stick another axle on it.[/QUOTE
Nice way to Go P.D!!......just a "Tad" disappointed the New One isn't Stainless!!

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2015, 14:18   #59

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus View Post
Nice way to Go P.D!!......just a "Tad" disappointed the New One isn't Stainless!!
Hmm! watch this space
Old 11 January 2015, 17:51   #60

couple of small jobs started today.

first up fix the hole in the gelcoat, looks like an airbubble from factory and the forklift or draystack found it.

i have no idea how long it was there but it is annoying so it is being fixed. unfortunately it was too cold today to mix the expoxy filler and gelcoat so it is a job for a warmer day. edges smoothed off though ready to go. as much as avon adventures got a slating it never chipped like this............i dunno...............hehe

next was seeing what i need to hook up the engine to my garmin units. after 10 mins looking i found the smis plug, it wasn't anywhere google suggested it should have been, it was ontop of the fuse box and would have seen it within 30 seconds if i was on the boat as it hard to miss unless your standing outside looking in.

nmea 2000 is already on the boat so i think i only need 2 suzuki items (about 100 quid) and an nmea extension cable to get info to the console. will look into this for next weekends jobs.

cheers
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150111_113028.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	29.7 KB
ID:	102255   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150111_113459.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	25.7 KB
ID:	102256   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150111_123412.jpg