Old 15 September 2014, 17:23   #1

New Rib owner seeks advice

Hi,
I am now the proud owner of a 1985 SR4 (with Yam 50) as rebuilt by boater on this forum. She is lovely and I am really looking forward to getting out and opening her up.

The final job is to put in seats. Ideally I would like a black or grey bench seat -does anyone have any suggestions where I might be able to buy one without breaking the bank?

We were also thinking about using outdoor beanbags for extra seating as these can be moved and removed... has anyone done this or have other suggestions. Pics to follow... promise!

Thanks
Rob
Old 15 September 2014, 17:33   #2

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
Quote:
Originally Posted by thejonesey View Post
The final job is to put in seats. Ideally I would like a black or grey bench seat -does anyone have any suggestions
Hi and well done.

My suggestion would be to put your bench in a park or your garden or even in a skip, anywhere other than in your SR4.
Old 15 September 2014, 18:16   #3
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollers View Post
Hi and well done.

My suggestion would be to put your bench in a park or your garden or even in a skip, anywhere other than in your SR4.
Bench seats are not all bad, and certainly not as bizarre as bean bags on a rib. However a SR4 is generally best with a jockey arrangement, especially with the Avon console which is too low for anything else.
Old 15 September 2014, 18:21   #4

Town: Ashton-under-Lyne Lancs
Boat name: IMOGEN
Make: Air-Craft 5.4
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki df70a
MMSI: 235087492
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to kerny
You could buy a large igloo marine ice box and have a seat cushion made for it. A member posted some pics on here awhile back but I can't find it.
Old 15 September 2014, 18:40   #5

Just trying to think out of the box. Perhaps I should rephrase question..
Rib used by family of four for skiing and messing about. Safe seating required. Thoughts?

I know they did a delux model with back to back seating... Anyone have this set up?

Why is a bench so bad when it previously had two side by side seats?
Old 15 September 2014, 19:09   #6
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
Just trying to think out of the box. Perhaps I should rephrase question..
Rib used by family of four for skiing and messing about. Safe seating required. Thoughts?

I know they did a delux model with back to back seating... Anyone have this set up?

Why is a bench so bad when it previously had two side by side seats?
Do you have the console that goes with the back to back seats?

Benches are generally less popular because they don't let you brace your legs for the "big bumps" as well as a jockey. However some people do like them at the very back of a *big* boat as the ride is comfier there and it can be family friendlier.

Beware on a boat like the SR4 where the distance from deck to top of tube is low that a "high" bench might put your passengers in a position where its easy to slide off / fall out in a tight turn. With the back-to-back seats you essentially sat on the floor.
Old 15 September 2014, 19:54   #7

Town: Nuneaton
Boat name: ribbit
Make: ring
Length: 6m +
Engine: opti 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
Do you have the console that goes with the back to back seats?

Benches are generally less popular because they don't let you brace your legs for the "big bumps" as well as a jockey. However some people do like them at the very back of a *big* boat as the ride is comfier there and it can be family friendlier.

Beware on a boat like the SR4 where the distance from deck to top of tube is low that a "high" bench might put your passengers in a position where its easy to slide off / fall out in a tight turn. With the back-to-back seats you essentially sat on the floor.
good advice for an sr4
Old 15 September 2014, 20:02   #8

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
Bench seats are not all bad, and certainly not as bizarre as bean bags on a rib. However a SR4 is generally best with a jockey arrangement, especially with the Avon console which is too low for anything else.
..I have a Bean Bag!!..large waterproof...and fits in the Bow nicely..It makes a bloody good good Sun Deck I'll have you know Mr Polly!
On Sunny flat days it works a treat!
Of course...I also have Ulmanns and Wing Back seats when it's not!

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2014, 22:03   #9

Town: Bucks
Boat name: Blue & Ding Dong
Make: Ribeye,SR4 & Bombard
Length: 6m +
Engine: 115,50 & 15Hp Yams
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerny View Post
You could buy a large igloo marine ice box and have a seat cushion made for it. A member posted some pics on here awhile back but I can't find it.
That will be me
http://www.rib.net/forum/f8/new-afra...sr4-42705.html
Nick Hearne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2014, 22:06   #10

Town: Ashton-under-Lyne Lancs
Boat name: IMOGEN
Make: Air-Craft 5.4
Engine: Suzuki df70a
MMSI: 235087492
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to kerny
That's the one Nick its under A frame
Old 16 September 2014, 12:19   #11

Boat name: Hornet
Make: Humber
Engine: O/B 90hp
My bench seat

Quote:
Hi,
I am now the proud owner of a 1985 SR4 (with Yam 50) as rebuilt by boater on this forum. She is lovely and I am really looking forward to getting out and opening her up.

The final job is to put in seats. Ideally I would like a black or grey bench seat -does anyone have any suggestions where I might be able to buy one without breaking the bank?

We were also thinking about using outdoor beanbags for extra seating as these can be moved and removed... has anyone done this or have other suggestions. Pics to follow... promise!

Thanks
Rob
I used the front twin seat base and built it up with ply then covered it in GRP.
See my thread SR4 STORY.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cg66.gif
Views:	173
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	98977  
Old 16 September 2014, 20:31   #12

That guys. Food for thought! Some lovely solutions.
Old 26 September 2014, 15:12   #13

Well I have two seats in now and plan to put in another two on a grp box soon. Any suggestions on how the box should be attached to the floor please? Ideally it should be bolted but I don't fancy cutting holes in the deck so I can get at the nuts.
Old 26 September 2014, 17:10   #14

Town: surrey
Length: 4m +
new seats

Quote:
Hi,

Thanks
Rob
HI mate, how about these simple landrover rear bench seats, on ebay for less than £100 for 2, pretty sure they are the right width, they do in grey or black, just a thought reece
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	$_57.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	64.0 KB
ID:	99350  
Old 27 September 2014, 07:46   #15

Thanks Reece
I now have two seats in and they look great. We are taking her to the coast today for the first trip so very excited. Will post up some pics for everyone soon!
Old 27 September 2014, 10:10   #16
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
Well I have two seats in now and plan to put in another two on a grp box soon. Any suggestions on how the box should be attached to the floor please? Ideally it should be bolted but I don't fancy cutting holes in the deck so I can get at the nuts.
Search the forum there's been lots of discussions about how best to fix seats - the main solutions are:

(1) Self tapping screws (lots of them) AND sikaflex. Make sure you (a) use stainless self tappers and don't overtighted to break the 'cut' thread (b) use proper marine grade sikaflex with an adhesive element not just some cheap bathroom sealer. This is a very common approach used by builders, because its cheap and easy.

(2) Glass them in. Probably considered the best way - but not ideal for you as your configuration becomes permanent and you are looking to do something a bit unconventional with layout. It requires a wee bit more skill than the first option especially to get a neat/pretty looking job - and ideally a warm environment.

(3) Bolt them in. As you've realised you need either pre-existing bolts glassed in to the deck or access to under the deck. Not sure if its feasible to get that far forward via the flooding hull drain on the transom? but otherwise you'd have to fit a hatch (within the locker?). Search top-hats on the forum and you might find more convoluted ways of adding hardware to the deck to bolt on to - not sure its worth it unless you want the flexibility to swap seats, bottle racks etc regularly.

Tags
rib