Old 24 July 2012, 20:43   #1

Town: Surrey
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 4m +
Engine: 60
New Rib Owner

Hi all, I have just bought a second hand Ribcraft 4.8 and have a few questions if anyone can help me? I have added photos to try and explain my issues.

What model of fuel tanks would strap here? I have a Plastimo and it moves about a little.

Is the moulding to the deck acceptable here, or does it need to be redone somehow?

I presume this is for fitting a anchor light, does anyone know which brand and model would fit here?

Im not too sure what these instruments are for, I think the one in the foreground is for the speedo? Not sure how it would measure speed though?

There seems to be a little bit of play in the steering rack on the back of the engine. Also the boot has perished, where would the best place be to get a replacement?

Any ideas on what instruments were fitted on top? Maybe a fish finder/gps?

The trim gauge doesn't seem to be working properly either.

Photo of the boat.

Sorry for the amount of questions, I would appreciate any help/advise. Thanks.
Old 24 July 2012, 20:51   #2

Town: A large rock
Boat name: La Frette
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200 Suzzy
I'll start the ball rolling.

Looks like someone has added that seat pod as an afterthought and failed to get a good colour match. If the grp is bonded down well, then I wouldn't be too worried.

The near sensor is a speed sensor which works by water pressure being forced up a pitot tube. The starboard sensor is a fish finder transducer.
Erin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2012, 20:52   #3

Town: Jersey
Boat name: Archangel
Engine: ETec 225
MMSI: 235063789
Can't help with any of your questions but don't worry - it's a Ribcraft; it will last forever.
Old 24 July 2012, 20:57   #4
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJ0KYZ View Post
it's a Ribcraft; it will last forever.
Oh ya, it'll go on and on...
Old 24 July 2012, 21:03   #5

Town: Girvan & Tayvallich
Boat name: Breawatch
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mercury 150 F/stroke
MMSI: ex directory!!
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
Oh ya, it'll go on and on...
Your just jealous
Member of SABS ( Scottish West Division)
jambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2012, 21:03   #6

Town: Plymouth
These look like the tanks you need. Not cheap though - note the grove in the centre of its base to help secure in place on your deck

GENUINE Quicksilver Fuel Tank Mariner Mercury Outboard Motor

http://bit.ly/NUobrR

Also the speedo works on a vacuum feed via the pipe connecting it and the gauge.

The round bracket that's been removed looks like the older Garmin 120 fish finder brackets. The square perhaps a navman gps combo as the transducer (in the background of the speedo pic) is a navman one.

The trim fault could b the trim sender unit located within the tilt system on the motor.

Peter @ Boatsandoutboards4sale ~ askboatsandoutboards4sale@sky.com ~ 07930 421007
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3797289110.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	179.2 KB
ID:	70533  
Old 24 July 2012, 21:09   #7

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
The light socket looks like an Aqua Signal
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2012, 21:11   #8

Town: Sussex
Make: RIBTEC 655
Engine: Yam 150
The trip gauge doesn't work because the trim sender is probably broken, It's a round thingy above the ram at the back, will cost about £70 and should last about a year - Mercury done seem to be able to make trim senders that last any longer.
Old 24 July 2012, 22:25   #9

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
Where does the hose from the pitot go? I can't see a speedo on the console.

If it stops inside your console and is open ended it will send water in!
Old 24 July 2012, 22:30   #10
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Welcome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tac123 View Post
Is the moulding to the deck acceptable here, or does it need to be redone somehow?
(i) its ugly which suggests it wasn't done by someone who knew what they were doing or who was in a rush. However if you can't get any flex or movement it is probably OK. (ii) is that just dirt / mould at the back or a split/crack?

Quote:
Im not too sure what these instruments are for, I think the one in the foreground is for the speedo? Not sure how it would measure speed though?
its actually the opposite from what Erin described. As water flows past the opening in the tube (known as a pitot) it creates a vacuum (think Venturi principle) - the faster it flows the harder it sucks. The spedo then measures the pressure to report a speed. They are notoriously unreliable and get block with crap. The GPS has largely made them redundant.
Quote:
There seems to be a little bit of play in the steering rack on the back of the engine. Also the boot has perished, where would the best place be to get a replacement?
What is a 'bit of play'. There is always some slack so it needs someone who knows to feel it its worse than you'd expect. I've never had a boot on mine so its not critical but presumably any outboard dealer could supply.

Quote:
The trim gauge doesn't seem to be working properly either.
possibly the only thing less reliable than a pitot tube! Usually the sensor is just a variable resistor that moves with a small spring loaded lever as the engine goes up / down. If you are lucky it will just be bent out of place, or a loose/corroded connection, but its quite possible that the critical part inside is goosed as they aren't very well sealed.
Old 24 July 2012, 22:37   #11

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
Vacuum??? pitot speedos measure dynamic pressure, with the pressure gauge calibrated in mph.

My Merc & old Yam had a pitot hole on the front of the leg for the same reason.
Old 24 July 2012, 22:43   #12
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9D280 View Post
Vacuum??? pitot speedos measure dynamic pressure, with the pressure gauge calibrated in mph.

My Merc & old Yam had a pitot hole on the front of the leg for the same reason.
I stand corrected - no wonder they bung up if you force sea water up them...
Old 25 July 2012, 06:34   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
Welcome!

(i) its ugly which suggests it wasn't done by someone who knew what they were doing or who was in a rush. However if you can't get any flex or movement it is probably OK. (ii) is that just dirt / mould at the back or a split/crack?

its actually the opposite from what Erin described. As water flows past the opening in the tube (known as a pitot) it creates a vacuum (think Venturi principle) - the faster it flows the harder it sucks. The spedo then measures the pressure to report a speed. They are notoriously unreliable and get block with crap. The GPS has largely made them redundant.

What is a 'bit of play'. There is always some slack so it needs someone who knows to feel it its worse than you'd expect. I've never had a boot on mine so its not critical but presumably any outboard dealer could supply.

possibly the only thing less reliable than a pitot tube! Usually the sensor is just a variable resistor that moves with a small spring loaded lever as the engine goes up / down. If you are lucky it will just be bent out of place, or a loose/corroded connection, but its quite possible that the critical part inside is goosed as they aren't very well sealed.
Its all solid and has been glassed from the inside, it Just looks a bit rough cosmetically. Thanks for explaining the speedo principle.
Old 25 July 2012, 06:36   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boats&Outboards View Post
These look like the tanks you need. Not cheap though - note the grove in the centre of its base to help secure in place on your deck

GENUINE Quicksilver Fuel Tank Mariner Mercury Outboard Motor

GENUINE Quicksilver Fuel Tank Mariner Mercury Outboard Motor | eBay

Also the speedo works on a vacuum feed via the pipe connecting it and the gauge.

The round bracket that's been removed looks like the older Garmin 120 fish finder brackets. The square perhaps a navman gps combo as the transducer (in the background of the speedo pic) is a navman one.

The trim fault could b the trim sender unit located within the tilt system on the motor.

Peter @ Boatsandoutboards4sale ~ askboatsandoutboards4sale@sky.com ~ 07930 421007
Brilliant those tanks look just the ticket, will measure them up to be 100%. Not too bothered about the holes, but do the new fish finders have the same size footprint? Thanks.
Old 25 July 2012, 06:37   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
The light socket looks like an Aqua Signal
I had another look and it has printed on the cap "aqua signal"
Old 25 July 2012, 06:39   #16

Thanks for the help so far guys. I forgot to add one other photo of where the cables exit the console for the control box. Does there need to be some sort of grommet or boot to stop water?

[/IMG]
Old 25 July 2012, 08:14   #17

Town: Buckingham
Make: Ribcraft 4.8
Engine: Mariner 75
Yes - there should be a rubber grommet covering the hole - if you email the photo to sales@ribcraft.co.uk then they should be able to supply the correct fitting fairly quickly - even in rough weather this stops the worst of the water from entering the console.

The "anchor" light (I couldn't see any front white lights) doesn't look very good to me (unless it is just used to illuminate the floor) - it needs to be at least 1m higher than the port/ starboard lights, visible from 360 degrees round (also looks like it will be blocked by the outboard behind) - one solution would be to add an all round white light fixed to a pole on the transom.

You might also want to consider changing the position of the throttle mounting on the console before the hand holding the steering wheel hits the throttle lever whilst steering at slower speeds (forward or reverse) - been there & done that !
Old 25 July 2012, 20:53   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by BumbleAbout View Post
Yes - there should be a rubber grommet covering the hole - if you email the photo to sales@ribcraft.co.uk then they should be able to supply the correct fitting fairly quickly - even in rough weather this stops the worst of the water from entering the console.

The "anchor" light (I couldn't see any front white lights) doesn't look very good to me (unless it is just used to illuminate the floor) - it needs to be at least 1m higher than the port/ starboard lights, visible from 360 degrees round (also looks like it will be blocked by the outboard behind) - one solution would be to add an all round white light fixed to a pole on the transom.

You might also want to consider changing the position of the throttle mounting on the console before the hand holding the steering wheel hits the throttle lever whilst steering at slower speeds (forward or reverse) - been there & done that !
Thanks for the info, how would I got about moving the control box, there doesn't seem to be too much free space. I see you have a Ribcraft, I don't suppose you could send me a photo how you have mounted it? I probably could get a pole made up for the white light and mount it high in the socket fitted already.
Old 25 July 2012, 20:56   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin View Post
I'll start the ball rolling.

Looks like someone has added that seat pod as an afterthought and failed to get a good colour match. If the grp is bonded down well, then I wouldn't be too worried.

The near sensor is a speed sensor which works by water pressure being forced up a pitot tube. The starboard sensor is a fish finder transducer.
Cheers for the info, the pod is solid but the paint is flaking a little. If I sanded back to decent paint could I paint over it and mask it off better with a color which matched. I presume its flowcoat thats needed?
Old 25 July 2012, 21:39   #20

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by tac123 View Post
Thanks for the info, how would I got about moving the control box, there doesn't seem to be too much free space.
You can make a spacer to go between the control box & the console to move the box out towards the port side. You'll probably need longer screws, but if you use your imagination & a bit of lateral thinking, it's not difficult
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote