Old 26 March 2006, 16:37   #1

Town: St John, Cornwall
Boat name: Ningaloo
Make: Ribeye 5.8m
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha 100hp
New RIB for new RIBBER

Hi.

I posted a week or two ago about buying a new RIB. The boat I went to see was, unfortunately, not suitable so I'm looking for more advice from all you esteemed RIB folk.

A bit about me and what I'm after.

I'm after a good seaworthy boat of around 6m+ and a minimum of 90hp. I want to dive if possible, ski, cruise and preferably do some longer trips...I live in Devon and would love to go to the Scillies for example. It must have comfortable seating for at least 4 people. It will be berthed but if towed will be behind a Honda CRV. Two stroke or 4 stroke, I dont mind. Now, here's the crunch. I have an absolute maximum budget of £15000 which would have to include everything!!

I've seen second hand boats by

Scorpion at JBT
Zodiac at JohnBridger
A very nice looking Ring Powercraft 6.5 with Suzuki 140 FS at Exe Leisure.

Also interested in Ribcraft and Humber because of their sea going qualities.

I don't really want to travel miles and miles to look at boats although I may be in Southampton next weekend.

All advice welcome 'cos if I don't get out on the water soon I'll have to buy a Bayliner!!!!

Jon
Old 26 March 2006, 16:47   #2

Town: Dublin
Boat name: Platypus
Make: Parker 630
Length: 6m +
Engine: 1.7 Mercruiser DTI
boats and outboards

An example
Old 26 March 2006, 16:57   #3

Town: helston
Boat name: pressman
Make: Carson 900
Length: 9m +
Engine: twin 370 yanmar
I have sent you a PM you may like to read!!
Old 26 March 2006, 17:00   #4

Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Length: 8m +
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
I think I would prescribe the Tohatsu one design 6.0 mtr as a possible cure. the Zodiac you looked at I would suggest be more of a Placebo effect!.

The Universal panacea would be the Scorpion but if it's in your price range then I suspect it's sickly.

The ring is a relatively hard ride and might not be comfortable on a long ride. (fast though )

Humber Ocean pro and Ribcrafts are sweet sea boats and there might be some around

this is worth a lookhttp://www.rib.net/forum/showthread.php?t=13102
Old 26 March 2006, 17:22   #5

Rib

Just an idea of what I've seen.

http://www.exeleisure.co.uk/boat_detail.php?boat=351

http://www.boatsandoutboards.co.uk/view/BMB367/
Old 27 March 2006, 09:27   #6

Town: I.O.W
Boat name: Leeway
Make: leeway 730
Length: 7m +
Engine: 250hp = 73mph :0)
jonmitch,

please check our website. as we would be able to make a new rib of 6.3m in length, inc the spec you are after and you could well have change in your pocket for fuel.....we have a demo rib available...
Old 27 March 2006, 09:37   #7

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
The good, the bad and the ugly!

Jon, you're looking at a huge range of different craft there...

Scorpion and Ring are very capable, premier league craft. Like a BMW and an Alfa Romeo. The Apex 17 is more of a Proton!
Richard B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2006, 09:43   #8

Town: Newquay, Cornwall.
Boat name: None :(
Make: None :(
Engine: None :(
MMSI: None :(
Hi Jon

You cannot go wrong with Ribcraft

Follow the RIBlog link in my signature to see what I get up to in my 5.85m with its Suzuki DF140. (including trips to the scillies)

You are more than welcome to pop down to cornwall and come out with us to see what they are like on the water.

Some examples up for sale at the moment.

http://ribcraft.boatsandoutboards.co...33/?xreferer=1
http://ribcraft.boatsandoutboards.co...44/?xreferer=1
http://ribcraft.boatsandoutboards.co...45/?xreferer=1
roycruse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2006, 11:08   #9

Town: Hampshire
Boat name: Everlong
Make: Botnia Targa 27
Engine: Volvo KAD44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard B
Scorpion and Ring are very capable, premier league craft. Like a BMW and an Alfa Romeo.
So you're saying Scorpions are mass market ribs for the aspiring middle manager and Rings are stylish, have the build quality of a B&Q shed and are worth tuppence after three years?
Old 27 March 2006, 11:41   #10

Rib Choice

Hello.

Thanks for all of your help. Ribcraft are definitely up there. Roy I've seen your superb website and videos...fantastic. I used to live in Flushing so know the Carrick Roads very well.

The absolute maximum budget is 15000. I may go and see the Ring in Topsham this weekend out of curiosity. It seems to be a make that has both its lovers and haters. I've also been on the Leeway website and have seen some interesting crat there. I take on board the comments regarding the Zodiacs.

Also seen a very nice Avon 620 on the web.

http://www.boatsandoutboards.co.uk/view/LYM006/

Any comments? Really don't want the bayliner!!

Jon
Old 27 March 2006, 12:09   #11

Town: poole
Make: ring
Engine: 150xr2
Having run a Ringrib since the later end of 97, I can say that it has proven strong, with no part of the boat coming apart, mine came from Mike Ring himself. It could be said that some manufacturers paint the areas not seen and some interior design work and ducting is better thought out, but to the hulls and design one thing can be sure, Ring hulls have proven themselves, along with some other well known manufacturers. Some well known hulls like Scorpion and Ribcraft, where is the proof that these hulls are any good? remove the tubs and let the hull speak without it's water wings, they may be nothing more than average!!! In my opinion and it is just my opinion, if a manufacturer has proven his hull in offshore racing, then at least you know the design works, and if it wins, it's a good one. I am talking here of small fast planning boats.
Old 27 March 2006, 13:45   #12

Town: I.O.W
Boat name: Leeway
Make: leeway 730
Engine: 250hp = 73mph :0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonmitch
Hello.

Thanks for all of your help. Ribcraft are definitely up there. Roy I've seen your superb website and videos...fantastic. I used to live in Flushing so know the Carrick Roads very well.

The absolute maximum budget is 15000. I may go and see the Ring in Topsham this weekend out of curiosity. It seems to be a make that has both its lovers and haters. I've also been on the Leeway website and have seen some interesting crat there. I take on board the comments regarding the Zodiacs.

Also seen a very nice Avon 620 on the web.

http://www.boatsandoutboards.co.uk/view/LYM006/

Any comments? Really don't want the bayliner!!

Jon
Please go and view as many ribs as you can that fall into your budget, then come and view ours. i know for a fact you'll be very impressed. i look forward to receiving another happy customer...
Old 27 March 2006, 13:51   #13

Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Engine: Etec 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by donutsina911
So you're saying Scorpions are mass market ribs for the aspiring middle manager and Rings are stylish, have the build quality of a B&Q shed and are worth tuppence after three years?

I have no idea whether that is an accurate reflection of the qualities of the boats in question but I PMSL anyway!
Old 27 March 2006, 15:15   #14

Town: Surrey
Boat name: ocean pro 6.3
Make: Humber
Length: 6m +
Engine: 140hp suzuki
hello, it seems you are on a tight budget for the size and specification of rib you are after, so i guesssecond hand would be the way to go, youmention humber in your first [post as an option, i would say they are great value, highly capable, offshore craft, with although not the finnish of say a scorpion, they definately have the buld quality to last many years of abuse!!!!!
on your budget as you want as much boat for your money as poss, i wouldnt go for a scorpion, and a ring, well although they are nice craft, i dont hold their hulls in as much regard when it comes to offshore ribbing, althought they are nice coastal cruisers! avon.....good boats, but again, not truly offshore in nature, the example you showed, is a basic example.
http://www.boatsandoutboards.co.uk/view/F88254/
http://www.boatsandoutboards.co.uk/view/RFT044/

couple of decent ribcrafts there......good boats, not the pedigree of some others, but people can vouch for them!
otherwise i would go for a second hand Humber ocean pro, or i dont know, maybe just slightly over your budget, a new Humber destroyer 6m, or even 6.5m, with 115hp, or 140hp suzuki! call them see whats possible, they may d a deal for you!
Old 27 March 2006, 19:56   #15

Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
so how many PM's you had so far Doc

The Avon 620 it's an Adventurer then that is a Zodiac and I don't think that will do what you want it to in the sea! Also they are flying around for that kinda money new! My blocking software won't let me view Boats and Outboards so I can't look at the spec but have to agree with xpertski comments on the Avonin particular and his other comments in General

Ribit re your comments re the Ring Rib Out of Interest do you know how many Ring Ribs have distinguished them selves in International competition as opposed to Scorpions
or Revenger ribs.

Jusr remember there are a lot more boats out there than buyers so take your time and get it right. Don't discount a good secondhand Osprey either they have always been built well
Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2006, 20:09   #16

Town: Chertsey
Boat name: Aqua Legends I
Make: Avon Searider 5.4m
Engine: Yam 90
MMSI: 235035787
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Wave
My blocking software won't let me view Boats and Outboards so I can't look at the spec
Computer Techies ah , never around when you need one, you've had loads of em hanging around your workshop that could sort that out Stu , ask us at the weekend or even Ben should now.
Oxygen Toxicity is for Life

Old 27 March 2006, 21:04   #17

Town: York
Boat name: Hi Flyer
Make: Humber - Ocean Pro
Engine: Suzuki 140hp
MMSI: 235033234
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonmitch
... but if towed will be behind a Honda CRV....
Hi Jon,

I tow with a CRV. Part time 4x4 - spins its wheels a bit too often for me - great car though. Towing weight is 1500Kg Max. Got a 7.0 Mtr Humber Ocean Pro. With trailer, fuel & lots of kit - I'm right on the limit (trying to find a decent Disco at the moment).

As for the Humber - worth a look. How about the 6.3 Ocean Pro? Should tow that comfortably. Strong & seaworthy. Can't help with the others - no experience of them.

Happy hunting.

Jeff
Old 28 March 2006, 11:40   #18

I am not saying I would not buy a scorpion rib, as they have so many happy customers on this forum alone, and many people have probably re ordered one, so that many customers cant be wrong. My comment was just out of intrest as far as I know the scorpion hull has never proven its self racing without tub's, along with many other's. my opinion is that tub's can mask a not very good hull, where as Ring, Phantom, Revenger and many more have excelled in compitition in offshore events over many years, Ring still race in the Honda series and look at the punishment they take in that.
Old 28 March 2006, 11:45   #19

Town: Newquay, Cornwall.
Boat name: None :(
Make: None :(
Engine: None :(
MMSI: None :(
Quote:
Originally Posted by ribit
I am not saying I would not buy a scorpion rib, as they have so many happy customers on this forum alone, and many people have probably re ordered one, so that many customers cant be wrong. My comment was just out of intrest as far as I know the scorpion hull has never proven its self racing without tub's, along with many other's. my opinion is that tub's can mask a not very good hull, where as Ring, Phantom, Revenger and many more have excelled in compitition in offshore events over many years, Ring still race in the Honda series and look at the punishment they take in that.
I would also argue that a hull designed to work with inflatable sponsons is potentially far better than one that had them stuck on as an afterthought...
roycruse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2006, 12:26   #20

True roycruse, that could be a valid point, I had woundered that myself, and probably manufacturer's would argue that very point, I guess it comes down to if your having fun with your boat and you are happy with it, then that's all that matters