Closed Thread

Old 17 March 2005, 08:33   #101

Town: Newfoundland
Length: no boat
I'm guessing Royal Institute of Naval Architects. RINA geddit?
As for who he is - puck nose.

Old 17 March 2005, 08:36   #102

Town: Farnborough
Boat name: Eleven
Make: Arrow
Length: 8m +
Engine: 557cu, 700hp
Rina, or whoever you are, you have obviously missed the point. None of Adam's boat designs have involved taking a mold off an existing boat to which he doesn't own the rights. This has been the entire point Jon has been atempting to make throughout. Sadly people let personal vendatta's cloud their judgement of right and wrong and seem all to keen to resort to name calling.
As I am sure you are aware, there is a world of difference between similar and an exact copy, and I'm very disappointed, if you are who you say you are, that you are not 100% down the line to protect every designers rights.

If a boat were a film, and I bought a DVD of the film, re-edited myself, could I justifiably sell it on as my own production? Of course not. In that respect, the debate about splashing is an open and shut case.

There is a HUGE investment in designing and buildin a plug, mold & hull, if you really are a RINA member, you OF ALL PEOPLE should be supporting designers rights.

This is not about 'Similar'. This is about taking 1 or more moldings off an existing hull, to which you don't have the rights, to create your own. I can't believe that EVERYONE on rib.net is not rallying to the cause. Regardless of whether or not leeway has splashed a phantom 18, which I still believe he has, the whole concept of splashing is wrong at every level. You do not deserve to be a RINA member if you disagree, since the only way you can agree with splashing is if you are guilty of it yourself, or have no moral judgement.

Old 17 March 2005, 08:43   #103

Town: Over here
Boat name: S.S. Nobstick
Make: Three Wise Monkeys
Length: 3m +
Engine: 44lbs of thrust....
Mat? wasn't that just a tad "long winded"? Can't we just stick with name calling?...... It's more amusing for me on this particularly unpleasant afternoon. I have just spent a couple of hours sat in an office whilst my Solicitor slugged it out with the complainant's brief... and as I was under orders NOT to open my mouth... you can't imagine how hard that was for me... I'm feeling in need of some entertainment.....
Old 17 March 2005, 08:47   #104

Unfortunately my post's are never as eloquent as some of your classics, but I do my best.
Old 17 March 2005, 09:12   #105

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre
.... and our new member Bill Gates gave JF a run for his money
No he didn't. I've just read that thread in the interests of getting a balanced view and all "Bill" did was make himself look like a tit.

[Anne Robinson mode on] Why oh why, do all the feckin' stupid post come from people who give themselves crap "noms de plume" ? [Anne Robinson mode off]

Andre, after the few "posts" we have exchanged, I must say that I thought more of you than calling for JF to be banned because he doesn't fall into line. Yes, he can be an annoying twat at times (can't we all?)..but that doesn't make his view any less valuable does it?
I noticed that none of his post contained anything particularly offensive in terms of personal insults or, as far as I can tell, any lies so why call for a ban?
Old 17 March 2005, 09:24   #106

Town: Camberley
Boat name: Despe/Ali B
Make: Avon 560/310
Length: 5m +
Engine: 115 mariner/15hp
I agree with Mats idea with DVDs but at the same time if the films are edited enough then they can often be classed as a different film even if they have the same basis.

I dont know how much change has been made to leeways design but surely theres a point where he can be let off having 'splashed' it if there are enough differences?!

Checkout the ever friendly RIBSTERS.net
Old 17 March 2005, 09:29   #107

Town: Up on a mountain
Boat name: The ARK
Make: GOD KNOWS
Length: 9m +
Engine: Flesh & Boned
So out of everyone in the "sanctemoniuous mode" then. No one has ever tried to take a mould off a petrol tank they owned, but had no right to copy.

Fitted patent brake pads, fan belts, gaskets. All genuine parts were they??.

:-)
Old 17 March 2005, 09:33   #108

Quote:
Originally Posted by noah
Fitted patent brake pads, fan belts, gaskets. All genuine parts were they??.

:-)

Just checked an' all my parts are "patent pending"... is that a bad thing?
Old 17 March 2005, 09:46   #109

True enough, however the original copyright holder still has rights to any and all the original footage used in the 'new' film, which is my point. To consider the 'looks a bit like' thing - if you film the scene yourself, you can justifiably call it your own, even it it's similar to footage someone else may also have filmed.

So if you are following all the design steps on a hull - you can reasonably call it your own, even if it's very similar to existing models. But the second you are taking a mold off someone elses existing hull, it's no longer your design.

It is possible to get into a grey area - if I took measurements from an existing hull to make my own plug, is this still a splash? That's another debate. The accusation that leeway has splashed a phantom still stands, and leeway has not been inclined to provide any evidence to the contrary, even though he's only too keen to show step by step photo's of his console.

Quote:
Originally Posted by King_C
I agree with Mats idea with DVDs but at the same time if the films are edited enough then they can often be classed as a different film even if they have the same basis.

I dont know how much change has been made to leeways design but surely theres a point where he can be let off having 'splashed' it if there are enough differences?!
Old 17 March 2005, 09:53   #110

Town: Camberley
Boat name: Despe/Ali B
Make: Avon 560/310
Length: 5m +
Engine: 115 mariner/15hp
Yeh fair play.

I was thinking about the grey area....are we sure he didnt jus take the measurements then built his own mould and modify it slightly?

Checkout the ever friendly RIBSTERS.net
Closed Thread

« ballast. | Top | Seatings »