Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 15 October 2016, 15:07   #11
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: London
Length: 6m +
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 59
What about thickness of rope chaps? Given that RIBS are light compared to Yachts.
__________________

__________________
mikew4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2016, 15:09   #12
RIBnet admin team
 
Poly's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: 2 stroke YAM 20 HP
MMSI: 235089819
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 9,457
If you buy different colours (odd ends bin at the chandler) it makes it easier to find the one you want (or give clear instructions to the crew to get it out). Can also be helpful if novice crew are untying etc. Won't look ad pretty tied up though.
__________________
Poly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2016, 15:10   #13
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Mercury
Length: 3m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
MMSI: 235074042
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 2,290
I always buy 12 MM floating mooring line for anchor line and mooring lines nice diameter to pull on easy to splice.
Off eBay


Cheers
__________________
jeffstevens763@g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2016, 18:30   #14
Member
 
Bucksribster's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Thame
Make: Ribcraft 585
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 140
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 175
Um - i really would not use floating line for the anchor. The idea is to get a horizontal pull on the anchor and a floating line works against this. Nylon is the right stuff for anchor line. I like floating soft polyprop rope for mooring lines and painter - less chance of it going round the prop.
__________________
Bucksribster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2016, 20:16   #15
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: South West
Boat name: SR Adventure 4.7
Length: under 3m
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus View Post
I like the multibraid type rope for Painter and Warps a little more expensive but well worth it IME..soft ,supple,has a nice bit of weight for throwing,and plenty strong!..a good SS cleat on the in Boat end I've found is useful
Sorry, what do you mean by Cleat ?
I thought a cleat was one of these ?




Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus View Post
A good idea IMO is to take off the Bow eye and have a pro splice the rope to it,
How do they splice the multibraid ropes ??, don't they quite often have an inner cores with lots of braiding around the outside ?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus View Post
A couple of short looped one end and clip the other (SS Cleats) on mooring lines (1m Max)for swinging moorings is a really good idea and you're in buisness.... ,
Have you a photo please of what you mean ??

Thanks
__________________
Fred. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2016, 01:37   #16
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Waterlooville
Boat name: N/A
Make: Halmatic P22
Length: 6m +
Engine: Inboard Diesel 140HP
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 113
RIBase
I have a bow line that is just shorter than the boat so that if I lose it over the side, it doesn't get wrapped around the prop. I like the idea of a permanent splice to the bow eye. In addition I'd consider making this rope strong enough that you can be towed using it, albeit with an extension.

I've got a stern line that is long enough to go from the stern to the dock and then as a forward spring to the bow, say twice the length of the bow line.

I've also got a line that is about the same length as the bow line that I have attached midships that I use as a temporary mooring line when I'm travelling solo or with novice crew - my family. On the assumption that there is a cleat handy, I can tie off to that and then sort out the bow and stern lines. This line also doubles up as an extension to the bow line to make an aft spring.

Anchor line - I carry about 40m of octoplait with 7m of chain. The octoplait flakes easily and fills a small gorilla bucket.

Other - I have another 40m of octoplait that doubles up as anchor extension, tow rope, long mooring line plus I carry a couple of old genoa / spinnaker sheets that extend mooring lines if I want a shore line when I'm rafted outside other boats.

Sizes - I think most of my lines are 10mm or 12mm although the octoplait is 14mm.

It seems a lot when you write it down.

I suspect Maximus meant stainless clips like a caribiner that you can hook on to the eye on the mooring buoy. The soft loop would go on the cleat in the boat.
__________________
GuyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2016, 01:39   #17
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Waterlooville
Boat name: N/A
Make: Halmatic P22
Length: 6m +
Engine: Inboard Diesel 140HP
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 113
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikew4 View Post
What about thickness of rope chaps? Given that RIBS are light compared to Yachts.
Try telling that to my Pac 22!!
__________________
GuyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2016, 02:44   #18
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: London
Length: 6m +
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyC View Post
I have a bow line that is just shorter than the boat so that if I lose it over the side, it doesn't get wrapped around the prop. I like the idea of a permanent splice to the bow eye. In addition I'd consider making this rope strong enough that you can be towed using it, albeit with an extension.

I've got a stern line that is long enough to go from the stern to the dock and then as a forward spring to the bow, say twice the length of the bow line.

I've also got a line that is about the same length as the bow line that I have attached midships that I use as a temporary mooring line when I'm travelling solo or with novice crew - my family. On the assumption that there is a cleat handy, I can tie off to that and then sort out the bow and stern lines. This line also doubles up as an extension to the bow line to make an aft spring.

Anchor line - I carry about 40m of octoplait with 7m of chain. The octoplait flakes easily and fills a small gorilla bucket.

Other - I have another 40m of octoplait that doubles up as anchor extension, tow rope, long mooring line plus I carry a couple of old genoa / spinnaker sheets that extend mooring lines if I want a shore line when I'm rafted outside other boats.

Sizes - I think most of my lines are 10mm or 12mm although the octoplait is 14mm.

It seems a lot when you write it down.

I suspect Maximus meant stainless clips like a caribiner that you can hook on to the eye on the mooring buoy. The soft loop would go on the cleat in the boat.
V useful post. Thx !
__________________
mikew4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2016, 06:14   #19
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Mercury
Length: 3m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
MMSI: 235074042
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 2,290
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucksribster View Post
Um - i really would not use floating line for the anchor. The idea is to get a horizontal pull on the anchor and a floating line works against this. Nylon is the right stuff for anchor line. I like floating soft polyprop rope for mooring lines and painter - less chance of it going round the prop.
The buoyancy of floating line is minute and doesn't make a blind bit of difference more important is chain length for horizontal pull a foot of chain will make the rope sink.
__________________
jeffstevens763@g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2016, 06:37   #20
Member
 
lakelandterrier's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Gloucester
Boat name: Lunasea
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzi 140
MMSI: 232005050
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,012
The thicker the line the easier it is to handle, it's not just about the breaking strain. My lines ae min 12mm and painter is 14mm just for ease of handling
__________________

__________________
Member of the Macmillan Round the Isle of Wight Club
lakelandterrier is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
rib

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:08.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.