Old 20 December 2017, 11:54   #1

Town: Hamble
Boat name: Black Bear
Make: Ribeye A683
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yamaha F225
MMSI: 232039276
New RIB

Well, after just over a year with our Bombard 500/Yamaha F50 and deciding that we really enjoy this boating lark we have just taken delivery of a 2013 Ribeye A600/Yamaha F150. We bought it direct from Ribeye as one of their used approved boats. She has been looked after by them from new, and looks like new with only 150 hours.

We went down to Dartmouth for the handover on Monday and went out to sea for a couple of hours in glorious sunshine and, boy, were we impressed with the handling and power. What a fantastic boat. The guys at Ribeye really looked after us from first meeting them at the Boat Show right through to a fantastic handover. Absolutely first class company to deal with.

After trailering her home yesterday we now can't wait to start getting to know her properly. We'll take her out on the Thames at the weekend to practice launching and recovery and learn how the plotter works etc. Hopefully we'll get down to the coast over the holidays and then perhaps the nacho run in January, weather permitting.
Old 20 December 2017, 15:11   #2

Town: Norfolk/Suffolk Borders
Make: no boat
Length: no boat
Sounds like a really nice combination but........

Wishing you many hours of happy boating !

Whereabouts on the Thames do you usually launch ( given the speed limitations upstream of Woolwich ) ? Decent slips downstream are fairly scarce as well .
Old 20 December 2017, 20:27   #3

Pics tomorrow, I promise
Old 21 December 2017, 09:18   #4

Pics as promised.

We keep the boat at Windsor so launch there for a bit of day cruising on the river, but are intending to find a public slip somewhere on the tidal part of the Thames so that we can get to the unlimited part. Our main use of the boat is coastal inshore but as we keep her at Windsor close to home it is handy to just drop her in the water for a spur of the moment tootle up or down this beautiful stretch of the Thames at any time of year.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1269.jpg
Views:	293
Size:	100.8 KB
ID:	122993   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1271.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	124.8 KB
ID:	122994  
Old 21 December 2017, 09:24   #5

Nice looking boat, enjoy.

Looks like the trailer isn't setup correctly perhaps (not unusual) judging by how much your car is squatting, get the bathroom scales under the jockeywheel and make sure you are JUST under the towball weight limit for your car. move the axle to fix it if required.

I would also move the rear swing back so the last roller is right under transom (it looks close in picture but not quite) and the front one forward a bit. The hull will thank you for it long term
Old 21 December 2017, 11:14   #6

Town: High wycombe
Make: Zodiac
Length: 4m +
Engine: Mercury 40hp 4stroke
Putney is a good place to launch ( outside Chas Newens Marine ) if you can find somewhere to leave the car and trailer.
Old 21 December 2017, 11:47   #7

@Xk59D Yeah, that's what I thought about the nose weight so I'll buy some bathroom scales and check it at the weekend. Thanks for the advice re the rear swing beam, I'll check that out too.

@Dobieman, there are a few public slips in West London but parking seems to be an issue with all of them. We can launch and park for free at Penton Hook but it's a bit too far out for getting into the city. Maybe make a long day of it.
Old 21 December 2017, 13:21   #8

No worries, bit of warning. Put carpet on the axle and beams first time you recover. I didn't do that and ripped chunks of my new gelcoat due the the trailer not being setup for the boat correctly height wise ARGHHHHHH. Once you know you clear everything you can take the carpet off.

Little tip, if you need to move the axle and front beam forward you can slacken them off and use your winch (only if it has a strap, not wire!!) and you can move it while boat is on there easily. Make sure you also slacken off the brake cable before doing this.
Old 21 December 2017, 14:26   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xk59D View Post
No worries, bit of warning. Put carpet on the axle and beams first time you recover. I didn't do that and ripped chunks of my new gelcoat due the the trailer not being setup for the boat correctly height wise ARGHHHHHH. Once you know you clear everything you can take the carpet off.

Little tip, if you need to move the axle and front beam forward you can slacken them off and use your winch (only if it has a strap, not wire!!) and you can move it while boat is on there easily. Make sure you also slacken off the brake cable before doing this.
Excellent tips, thank you
Old 29 December 2017, 16:58   #10

Well, got the trailer balance right. Thanks for the tip for using the winch to pull the axle forward Xk59D, it worked a treat :-)
Old 29 December 2017, 17:09   #11

glad it worked out, your car will thank you for it later by not collapsing.

last tango showed me the tip when i setup my own trailer so thanks are due to him

Tags
rib