Old 08 December 2003, 12:28   #1

Town: Billericay
Boat name: my girls
Make: Ribeye
Length: 6.5
Engine: Yamaha F150
New Rib

Steve

I pick it up on Friday, its my third rib and im looking forward to using it as i have had a SeaRay 225 we for last season (still for sale), having had two ribs before, then going to a cruiser just was'nt my cup of tea.

Richard
Old 08 December 2003, 18:40   #2

Town: Midlands
Make: Nautique
Length: 6m +
Engine: PCM 5.7l
what made you dislike the cruiser so much you changed back into ribs?
Old 08 December 2003, 19:13   #3

Town: Ongar, Essex
Make: Avon 620
Length: 6.2
Engine: mercury 135 Optimax
So where you going to launch for your first trip

Bet you can't wait
Old 08 December 2003, 20:05   #4

Cruiser

Boat was in a park and ride 50 miles away and only used it 5 times, wife loved the boat but only came out twice, it is a big boat to wash down after every outing. It was not the sought of boat to go wave jumping in, or waterskiing. Want to go boating in other areas, the Searay is a big boat to tow around the country and you cant let the tubes down and put it in a container to ship to the Canaries.

Richard
Old 08 December 2003, 20:12   #5

The launch

Hopeing to get out asap before the 22/12 going away then, but if not on the Norfolk broads on the 30/12 spending new year in cottage next to the river, 5mph upto Great Yarmouth and then i'm away in the north sea.

Richard
Old 15 December 2003, 08:49   #6

Delayed Boat

Just thought i'd have a moan about my new boat not being ready to pick up, ordered from stock Ribeye sport 650, stock Yamaha F150, stock Bramber trailer, deposit paid 4 weeks ago, balance paid last week and still not ready. The cause of the delay is down to the A frame supplier, all gadgets are fixed into console, all extras are supplied from Ribeye and fixed, but no A Frame.

Richard
Old 15 December 2003, 12:49   #7

Town: Athens
Boat name: ??
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m
Engine: Evinrude ram 250hp
Richard

I wish u get yr boat delivered soonest but meantime wonder if u cd make some comments on yr boat/engine.

Fyi I am after the same boat in Greece (built under licence fm Ribeye locally). The dealer is pushing me twrds the direct injection two stroke engines (evinrude ram in particular) whilst I favour the F150.

Also the boat here is offered with beam 2.30m i/o the 2.50 offered fm Ribeye over there - did u get any comments fm Ribeye as to why they changed the beam n how this affected the performance.
Old 15 December 2003, 17:07   #8

Ribeye

Enalios

Iwas unaware that they have changed the beam of the boat, i wonder if the boats you have looked at are the old shape 620 sport with blue tubes, if you look on the Ribeye web site under Brokerage, there is a old shape 620 and new shape 650, which one of the two have you looked at ?
I have had two 2 stroke Injected engines, Yam 150 hpdi and Merc 150 optimax these are outstanding engines and would have had a Hpdi on the Ribeye, but the dealer had a F150 in stock. I have'nt had any experience with the F150 and can not give any advice on how they perform.
Charles Chivers at Ribeye is in charge of exports and he has a email address on the Ribeye website, this will be my second boat from Charles and have always found him very helpful.

Richard
Old 15 December 2003, 18:19   #9

Town: Salcombe, Devon, UK
Boat name: BananaShark
Make: BananaShark
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2xYanmar 260 diesels
FYI Charles Chivers owns the company!
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2003, 07:56   #10

Town: Athens
Boat name: ??
Length: 8m
Engine: Evinrude ram 250hp
Richard

Beam has def changed - the hull produced in Greece gives a beam overall of 2.30m with the same size of tubes t4 the Uk(s.africa) make is wider. I guess then its the previous hull which is being produced in Greece but with a length of 6.50 mtrs (6.60 with the hard nose).

Anyway tks yr reply n wish u an early delivery n many huppy hrs with her.
Old 16 December 2003, 08:55   #11

Town: Mayfair, London
Make: RibEye/Ferretti 881
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yamaha 25/Twin MTU
Re: New Rib

Quote:
Originally posted by my girls
Steve

I pick it up on Friday, its my third rib and im looking forward to using it as i have had a SeaRay 225 we for last season (still for sale), having had two ribs before, then going to a cruiser just was'nt my cup of tea.

Richard
I too changed from a Searay to a RIB. It took for ever to sell the Searay (240) and I had to drop the price substantially, but it was well worth getting rid of it in order to get the RIB.

Good luck selling you Searay, I eventually sold mine through a free web site so didn't have to pay brokerage.

Tim
Old 20 December 2003, 14:20   #12

New Rib (update)

Ribeye still not ready, it was water tested tuesday and the dealer realised the engine was the wrong size shaft, the boat is now ready but the dealer said the cables where to stiff and waiting for new ones from Ribeye, also he is fitting hydro steering and it wont be ready untill 30th Dec

Old 05 January 2004, 20:12   #13

New Rib

At last, picked new boat up last tuesday and already have 7 hours on metre. Fish finder not working, vhf not working but could be due to nobody knowing were the number you have to put into set is, do i get the number from radio agency? Gps works fine but have to order chart card, apart from that very pleased.

Old 05 January 2004, 20:45   #14

Town: Gloucetsreshire
Boat name: GATO DI MARE
Make: MAR.CO
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yamaha 200Vmax
MMSI: 235027678
Send a message via MSN to Manos Send a message via Yahoo to Manos Send a message via Skype™ to Manos
Re: New Rib

Good luck with the boat and happy RIBing MY GIRLS!!!!!!:wave:

Quote:
Originally posted by my girls
vhf not working but could be due to nobody knowing were the number you have to put into set is
Just out of curiosity what is this number for the VHF you are saying?
Manos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 January 2004, 20:53   #15

Town: Margate / Ramsgate
Boat name: Bumbl
Length: 8m +
Engine: Yanmar diesel
Good to hear you have got your new boat - if the number for the radio you mention is an MMSI (required for a DSC set) then you need to apply for it when you apply for a VHF licence. Some info about this on my top-banana webiste i think. In my case it did not stop the normal part of the radio working. What make/model of VHF is it? Also any pic's to show us? Sounds like a nice boat.
Old 05 January 2004, 21:00   #16

Town: Fareham
If the set is a second hand DSC VHF you'll have to get the previous owners MMSI number removed before entering your own I think, if it's a new set the owners manual should instruct you.

Congrats on your new RIB purchase and may you have many happy hours flying across wave crests.

Andy
Old 05 January 2004, 21:31   #17

Town: Gloucetsreshire
Boat name: GATO DI MARE
Make: MAR.CO
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yamaha 200Vmax
MMSI: 235027678
Send a message via MSN to Manos Send a message via Yahoo to Manos Send a message via Skype™ to Manos
Now guys you have made me worried and I have a question if I may.

I have a an Icom IC-M502 Euro with DSC. I have never tried to operate the DSC system and the unit is registered with the radio licence people in Bristol. When I registered the unit I only gave them the serial number. Does the DSC work? and how do I find out if it does. The VHF works 100% but is not connected to the GPS yet. Will ask the elctricians to do it this summer.

Any info much appreciated . By the way make it as simple as poss cause I'm completely useless with electronics
Manos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 January 2004, 21:56   #18

New Rib

Thanks for your help regarding vhf, the number is mmsi number and when i phoned the radio agency for application form they didnt mention about the mmsi, i have form but no number and the dealer still has box for radio with the radio fixed into console i cant get any numbers off of the back. The radio is a new Silva S15 and we tried get a reception with my dads handheld but no luck, although the handheld could pick up other users, the dealer is now setting up for Excel and i will phone the agency to see if they can help, the shop i bought the radio from knows nothing about mmsi numbers so he was a waist of time. I've taken loads of photos with new christmas pressie and will try to get pics on site this week (all new to me).

Thanks again.

Richard
Old 05 January 2004, 22:11   #19

Town: Fareham
Manos

I will try to give my best answer, as I understand it.

The Radio licence people issue you with a MMSI number unique to you (Like a telephone #). You enter this into your DSC radio set when you first buy it. Anytime you use the DSC part of your set it sends out your MMSI. That means that in an emergency (Mayday) situation the Coastguard will receive this Number (can be cross checked against voluntary boat safety scheme) Info, along with nature of distress and Lat/Long co-ordinates if you have entered them or have a link with a GPS.

You CANNOT check the Emergency (MAYDAY) part of the system works for obvious reasons.

You can check however that the DSC system is working by calling up someone with a DSC set (a friend).

I'm afraid you'll have to have a little faith that it'll work when needed (like your lifejacket or flare).

I'm sure that Daniel could add some more if you want a more in-depth view of things.

"These are general instruction and you should read your owners manual!"

My Girls,

When did you sit your Exam?

Andy
Old 05 January 2004, 22:25   #20

Town: Margate / Ramsgate
Boat name: Bumbl
Length: 8m +
Engine: Yanmar diesel
The RadioCommunications agency don't need your serial number - so My Girls (what is your name) get your bum into gear and apply for it! You can do it now by clicking here http://www.radiolicenceforms.co.uk/ShipApplication.asp

I've never come accross a set that does not work as a normal VHF untill the MMSI is entered, but then i have only dealt with Icom DSC units.

With (some) units you need special kit to enter the MMSI with others (generally newer i beleive) you do it from the keypad - much better of course.

Useful note: once entered the MMSI can not be changed without manufacturer intervention so get it right.

Manos...

I don't beleive you can send a distress or urgency call on the DSC unit without GPS connected OR manual position entered. I also know for a fact that if you or someone else has not entered the MMSI number that big red button is as useful as a chocolate tea-pot.

Hope that helps you all!