Click Here to Login

Old 18 September 2011, 14:46   #1

Town: mill valley
Boat name: jitterbug
Make: morgan
Length: 10m +
Engine: perkins
New RIB: 2011 model year vs 2008 "new" RIB

We're going to buy a new RIB, I can get a new in the box 2008 model for considerably less money. Has the Hypalon or glue deteriorated in the packaging for the last 3 years? The boat will be airtested etc before delivery. Appreciate any thoughts, Thanks,
Old 19 September 2011, 19:34   #2
NSS

Length: no boat
I'm no expert on the matter but I'd imagine that a lot will depend on how it has been stored for the last 3 years. Has it been exposed to the elements/UV or has it been stored under cover or inside a building? Have the tubes been kept inflated or not? Is the seller/manufacturer offering the full warranty from date of sale, or date of manufacturer (if the standard is 5 years then you could be accepting just a two year warranty)? If an engine is fitted, is it new or also 3 years old, and if the latter is the warranty similarly affected?

If it was me, I'd be looking at what a three year old model would sell for on the secondhand market, and deciding whether any premium thereover was reasonable for its relative condition and lack of use.
Old 19 September 2011, 21:12   #3

Town: Gloucestershire
Boat name: Osprey
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 5m +
Engine: E-tec 300 G2
MMSI: TBC
Quote:
Originally Posted by sueinnaples View Post
We're going to buy a new RIB, I can get a new in the box 2008 model for considerably less money. Has the Hypalon or glue deteriorated in the packaging for the last 3 years? The boat will be airtested etc before delivery. Appreciate any thoughts, Thanks,
What make rib are you looking at?

Born fiddler
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2011, 04:40   #4

Town: Sydney
Boat name: Lunasea
Make: Ribtec 890SX
Length: 8m +
Engine: Yamaha ME 421STI x 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSS
I'm no expert on the matter but I'd imagine that a lot will depend on how it has been stored for the last 3 years. Has it been exposed to the elements/UV or has it been stored under cover or inside a building? Have the tubes been kept inflated or not? Is the seller/manufacturer offering the full warranty from date of sale, or date of manufacturer (if the standard is 5 years then you could be accepting just a two year warranty)? If an engine is fitted, is it new or also 3 years old, and if the latter is the warranty similarly affected?

If it was me, I'd be looking at what a three year old model would sell for on the secondhand market, and deciding whether any premium thereover was reasonable for its relative condition and lack of use.
Agree. If you sell it next year, it will be a 4 year old boat, not a 1 year old boat and priced accordingly. Make sure you get the right price now.