Town: Inverkip
Make: Redbay 11m Cabin
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2 x Yamaha422Sti 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by RIVA
why would anyone buy a deisel rib !!!

have you actualy done the maths , build cost, service cost , and so on
Hell yes, fuel costs, reliability, better seakeeping, most importantly resale value
Andy
Old 21 August 2006, 12:20   #23

Town: emsworth
Boat name: the black stuff
Make: BALLISTIC
Length: 8m +
Engine: 2 x 200hp etec's
No to fuel cost in the short term ownership 5 years , 30% more build cost , 30% more service cost and that’s before the leg goes pop ,

FAR WORSE DEPRESIATION

ask a simple question , why are there so few diesel ribs made , it takes running about 200hrs per year over 15 years service to make up the difference just buy with a open mind

Not that it only uses £30 per day to run it and £6000 every time it goes wrong
Old 21 August 2006, 12:44   #24

Town: nr Lymington
Boat name: JU-JU
Make: Halmatic PAC22
Length: 6m +
Engine: 140.5 Mermaid
I don’t remember Jonny saying any of this when he tried to sell me one a few years ago Des
Old 21 August 2006, 12:51   #25
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
FAR WORSE DEPRESIATION
Then in that case the argument is surely why does anyone buy a new diesel rib?
Old 21 August 2006, 12:55   #26

The world moves on, diesel ribs are slow sellers, very slow sellers

And as outboards are so cheap now compared with a reasonable diesel engine it makes sense, to go outboard

Why don’t you have a look in search for leg failiars?

and by open budget scorpion i would think were in the £70+ thousand mark
Old 21 August 2006, 13:33   #27

Out of interest how many petrol vs diesel boats do you think Redbay, Delta, Scorpion, Revenger build?
Re leg failures yep your right hundereds of Yanmar ones!!! strange that there are not many Volvo or Yamaha ones.......one bad apple and all that

I would agree that diesel ribs are harder to sell due to the increase in reslae values, but depreciation, as a percentage, not nearly as much over 10 years as an outboard
Cheers
Andy
Old 21 August 2006, 13:53   #28

the only one out of this lot is red bay which has a small following of cursers were petrol is hard to come by in that area I think you would agree with this
Small is less than 100 unites per year

Delta well commercial not valid

Revenger and scorpion lots more outboards than diesels and that’s a fact
Rib craft, tornado, anyone else you want to try that’s not commercial

so your question on Volvo well the last one I had fly buy wire cut out right after I went over the red funnel wake ,
And would not restart,
What warranty are inboards now coming with?

And the bills on the Yamaha diesels for repair well good luck

It’s quite simple take all the feelings out of it and get a calculator
And work it out for yourself, and see what you come up with

Include in the figure the £20k you left in the bank @ 6% because you went out boards
Old 21 August 2006, 13:53   #29
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
The world moves on, diesel ribs are slow sellers, very slow sellers
I think that must depend on your target market, and how you are marketting them. One obvious issue is that most people interested in diesel ribs are probably considering new rather than 2nd hand - simply because they fuel savings come through heavy usage and that means more likely to be commercial.

Having said that anyone who was looking to do serious scottish cruising would probably prefer a diesel rib - as diesel is more readily available on the water side.

Do you think that its just because they are diesel, that you struggle to sell them though? or is it the higher hours most have have on them? the general "industrial" style of most diesel ribs? the higher cost when joe public walks in to buy "a rib"?
Quote:
and by open budget scorpion i would think were in the £70+ thousand mark
I must be getting my maths wrong as I calculate payback on this in ~4 years rather than 15 with 200 hrs per annum, even including a leg failure.

If I could afford a decent sized rib then I would be considering diesel. But then I'm not an all out speed freek and prefer industrial looking boats, etc. The main downside I can see is not cost or dodgy legs etc - but the loss of internal space in the boat.
Old 21 August 2006, 14:32   #30

Agreed petrol is more harder to get, but it is getting better. Volvo electronics lets not go there, but their legs are second to none.
Look at the number fitted, Sunseeker/Fairline/Sealine etc etc etc compaired to the number of failures.

It all depends on what you want the boat to do, how long you want to keep it and how many hours a year you want to use it, and for me it has got to be diesel. Slow and sluggish, not some of the ones I have been on. We have far more Diesel Revengers and Scorpions up hear than outboards, hence my question.

Repair bills, in over 18.5k hours running a Daewoo in a trawler only bills are for servicing (£250 every 300hrs) and a top end inspection (£500 at 18k hours).
Overall hours on ribs with Twin Yamaha diesel, about 3300h combined, servicing about £150 every 100h, 1 drive ring and overhaul (£700) Impellors £70, all work done myself.
What is the reatil price nowadays for say a 250hp four stroke?

Deck space is defenatly an issue with inboards though, especially if they are <7m, however it's not really an issue on the larger boats.

What slow, sluggish diesel boat are you stuck with? I have never had a diesel for sale for long, so long as its priced correctly .
Cheers
Andy
Old 21 August 2006, 14:54   #31

Town: london
Boat name: Folly Points
Make: Halmatic
Engine: Inboard diesel
MMSI: N/A
so some of you think desiel is better

Votes on the subject then..................
Old 21 August 2006, 21:32   #32

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by toby4594
Hi your source of information is incorrect the scorpions sea keeping qualities are legendary ,have you actually had a look at that hull ,Thats one deep vee Go and have a look thats the only way to find out...
Yes... you're right in principle, but it's not just down to the depth of the V - in fact Scorpion aren't the deepest V hulls by a long way, there are many other design features that make it one of the best general purpose high speed RIB hulls. And high speed is important, as they perform best at speed, to keep the reverse chine working. 8m+ Redbays and Ocean may perform a little better in a really tough head sea, but at speed or in a following sea, a Scorpion is very hard to beat!
Richard B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2006, 21:42   #33

Boat name: SOLD
Length: under 3m
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Gee
Agreed petrol is more harder to get, but it is getting better. Volvo electronics lets not go there, but their legs are second to none.
Look at the number fitted, Sunseeker/Fairline/Sealine etc etc etc compaired to the number of failures.

It all depends on what you want the boat to do, how long you want to keep it and how many hours a year you want to use it, and for me it has got to be diesel. Slow and sluggish, not some of the ones I have been on. We have far more Diesel Revengers and Scorpions up hear than outboards, hence my question.

Repair bills, in over 18.5k hours running a Daewoo in a trawler only bills are for servicing (£250 every 300hrs) and a top end inspection (£500 at 18k hours).
Overall hours on ribs with Twin Yamaha diesel, about 3300h combined, servicing about £150 every 100h, 1 drive ring and overhaul (£700) Impellors £70, all work done myself.
What is the reatil price nowadays for say a 250hp four stroke?

Deck space is defenatly an issue with inboards though, especially if they are <7m, however it's not really an issue on the larger boats.

What slow, sluggish diesel boat are you stuck with? I have never had a diesel for sale for long, so long as its priced correctly .
Cheers
Andy
Just had my 250 F/Stroke Yamaha serviced £135 plus the dreded
I look at a diesal option as we ordered from new and yes if you live in the Highlands then petrol is a probleam but as RIVA as said unless you are commercial then i for one could not make the figuers add up over the course of five years, add in the cost of a leg failure and i found that you could buy a new out board for the same money.
but that only my oppinion.
Old 21 August 2006, 22:34   #34

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Quote:
Originally Posted by ribowner
Votes on the subject then..................
Well I voted with my feet and went diesel. It is true that it takes a good while in fuel costs on an outboard to reach the cost of initial purchase of a diesel vessel but that is not a valid argument for many of us. I suppose if you compare two similar boats of the same type and make then the argument is more valid.

However, the high initial cost of boats such as Redbays and my own boat is not because it is diesel it is because we have bought a lot of vessel and a lot of facility. They are not simply a hull, wee consol and a couple of seats.

When I came home in my previous outboard rib my money was gone, I'd burned it. When I come home in my present diesel rib the rib isn't used up and the facilities the boat has are still there....that's where my money is.

For me it is also true that an initial high purchase price was easier to deal with than a constant high drain on my pocket. With my previous outboard boat, after the early enthusiasm had wained, I began to question the sanity of paying £100 to travel 40 miles and back for a drink and sandwich at a pub. Today, I've had a four hour cruise and I've come home having spent slightly less than 25 quid on fuel.

I made my lunch on the boat, because it has the facilities and I enjoy that, whilst sitting in the sun chatting to a couple who were interested in a vessel which is a bit different.

It's just a whole lot better experience.
Old 22 August 2006, 09:56   #35

Town: Ardfern
Boat name: Moon Raker
Make: Humber Destroyer
Length: 5m +
Engine: Honda BF 90 D
MMSI: 235035994
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalker
Well I voted with my feet and went diesel. It is true that it takes a good while in fuel costs on an outboard to reach the cost of initial purchase of a diesel vessel but that is not a valid argument for many of us. I suppose if you compare two similar boats of the same type and make then the argument is more valid.

However, the high initial cost of boats such as Redbays and my own boat is not because it is diesel it is because we have bought a lot of vessel and a lot of facility. They are not simply a hull, wee consol and a couple of seats.

When I came home in my previous outboard rib my money was gone, I'd burned it. When I come home in my present diesel rib the rib isn't used up and the facilities the boat has are still there....that's where my money is.

For me it is also true that an initial high purchase price was easier to deal with than a constant high drain on my pocket. With my previous outboard boat, after the early enthusiasm had wained, I began to question the sanity of paying £100 to travel 40 miles and back for a drink and sandwich at a pub. Today, I've had a four hour cruise and I've come home having spent slightly less than 25 quid on fuel.

I made my lunch on the boat, because it has the facilities and I enjoy that, whilst sitting in the sun chatting to a couple who were interested in a vessel which is a bit different.

It's just a whole lot better experience.
Couldn't agree more, JW. Given a choice it would be diesel for me for the reasons you mention - and a slightly bigger RIB. I have to save up for every cruise and be careful with the throttle. Buying meals ashore (even if there was anywhere to do so in my chosen anchorage) would drastically cut the miles I could cruise, so I eat aboard too. Next year, with the boat equipped with my 'super boat tent', that I intend to make over winter, I hope to spend some nights aboard. Being self sufficient on a 5.3m Destroyer is going to take some initiative, I think.

Perhaps we in Scotland have a different approach to cruising and different priorities from those in the south?

Tony
Old 22 August 2006, 10:07   #36

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalker
Well I voted with my feet and went diesel.
Me too . Fuel at 50 ppl was a strong consideration along with its availability rather than have to hump fuel cans from petrol stations. If the red disappears then the argument isn't as straight forward, however I for one will probably stay with an inboard diesel as I want to do most of the work and servicing myself and know that I can fill up easily with pumped fuel.

Pete