Old 10 February 2007, 22:07   #1

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
New Portland Marina

Could be good news especially if they supply petrol http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/dorset/6350135.stm

"Plans for a 600-berth marina with on-shore facilities for athletes taking part in the 2012 Olympic and Paralympic sailing events have been unveiled.
Work will start on Portland Marina at Osprey Quay, in the spring next year, if planning permission is granted, and will be finished by the end of 2008"
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Portland.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	29.0 KB
ID:	24811  
Old 10 February 2007, 22:36   #2

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Hissing Sid
Make: Ross Smith Cobra
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200HP Optimax
MMSI: 235038046
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Could be good news especially if they supply petrol http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/dorset/6350135.stm

"Plans for a 600-berth marina with on-shore facilities for athletes taking part in the 2012 Olympic and Paralympic sailing events have been unveiled.
Work will start on Portland Marina at Osprey Quay, in the spring next year, if planning permission is granted, and will be finished by the end of 2008"

and if anything like wembly will cost a trillion billion pounds, oh and another trillion from the local residents later on......

looks impressive tho'
Jizm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2007, 23:40   #3
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
As long as it's public afterwards it doesn't sound like a bad idea.

There's bugger all facilities/transport infrastructure in Portland as far as I remember though. Certainly not enough for olympic crowds and building something on that scale will put a hell of a pressure on the road network.
I think it'll spoil Portland a bit too.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2007, 22:39   #4

Town: Poole
Make: Aquaflyte
Length: 6m +
Engine: Merc 90 2Str
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nos4r2 View Post
As long as it's public afterwards it doesn't sound like a bad idea.

There's bugger all facilities/transport infrastructure in Portland as far as I remember though. Certainly not enough for olympic crowds and building something on that scale will put a hell of a pressure on the road network.
I think it'll spoil Portland a bit too.
Maybe .. maybe not. I was down there last week and there's been quite a lot of development already at Osprey Quays (down where the refuelling silos are at the foot of the beach road). To be honest most of the Castletown area (which has looked tired even when the Navy were there) has just been getting worse. Given that the new development is right at the base of Castletown it could be the shot in the arm that that part of the island needs. Also the developments already at Osprey Quays look reasonable.

www.ospreyquay.com for all who are interested

However I whole-hearted agree with Matt's point about access. Roads into and out of Weymouth are pitiful. For year's there's been discussion about a sensible link-road into the heart of Weymouth, but its never happend. One can only assume that the tarpit that is local planning has kicked into gear and dragged each potential idea off to be quietly suffocated.

Also agree about needing to make it public available. Portland is quite economically deprived and could really do with investment. Bringing lots of new facilities (and the income that should bring) is great as long as the residents of Weymouth and Portland don't end up with Council Tax demands that rocket.

I guess only time will tell

Andrew