Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 02 February 2009, 15:55   #1
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Gloucestershire
Boat name: Osprey
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 5m +
Engine: E-tec 300 G2
MMSI: TBC
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 4,015
New Osprey Console

Osprey have released a new console called the Searider. Some pics here along with pics of some recent Vipermax builds.

http://www.ospreyribs.co.uk/

I am sure all you fellow Osprey lovers will be dribbling over them
__________________

__________________
---------------------------------------------------
Chris Stevens

Born fiddler
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 February 2009, 16:06   #2
Member
 
chewy's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Up Norf
Make: Avon SR4,Tremlett 23
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yam 55, Volvo 200
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 5,217
That console will never fit on a Searider, lol!
__________________

__________________
chewy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 February 2009, 16:16   #3
Member
 
Hightower's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Fareham
Length: 6m +
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 7,855
It's nice to have another console to their range but considering the amount of time they had to design and build the console, it looks pretty much like anyone elses one. I guess the upside is that it looks to be big enough for all the bits and pieces and has a built in front seat with storage. But there is no room for your legs under the console, which is a little disapointing.

A few more pages to the website to showcase all the different options and configurations would also be nice.
__________________
Andy

Looks Slow but is Fast
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 February 2009, 16:44   #4
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Gloucestershire
Boat name: Osprey
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 5m +
Engine: E-tec 300 G2
MMSI: TBC
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 4,015
I think it is difficult to see from the pics but the whole console slants back towards you giving some leg room.

I have to say I am still a firm supporter of the Discovery console. Definately one of the nicest looking consoles available. All subjective and down to personal taste however!

Chris
__________________
---------------------------------------------------
Chris Stevens

Born fiddler
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 February 2009, 17:11   #5
Member
 
Hightower's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Fareham
Length: 6m +
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 7,855
I'm all for no frills boat packages and the Osprey has to be one of the nicest RIBs in the market place (don't tell anyone).....However there could be some improvments in the looks department. There are some really nice consoles and accessories out there that manage to combine both good looks and practicalities.

But yes, I agree it's subjective and down to personal taste I guess
__________________
Andy

Looks Slow but is Fast
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 February 2009, 02:23   #6
RIBnet supporter
 
Ian M's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: New Milton
Boat name: Jianna
Make: Osprey
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200 E-TEC
MMSI: 235076954
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 1,937
Consoles

I am glad to see that Osprey are thinking about consoles. To my mind it is the single biggest shortfall in the Osprey 'brand'; it has certainly been my biggest headache
Like Andy, I can see that this new console is certainly a no frills design, which may suit some more than others. Down to the individual I guess.
I take it that the build quality will be up to Mike's usual standard, bloody good
__________________
Ian

Dust creation specialist
Ian M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 February 2009, 03:24   #7
RIBnet supporter
 
bedajim's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Cambs/Northants
Length: no boat
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 2,499
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian M View Post
I am glad to see that Osprey are thinking about consoles. To my mind it is the single biggest shortfall in the Osprey 'brand'; it has certainly been my biggest headache
Like Andy, I can see that this new console is certainly a no frills design, which may suit some more than others. Down to the individual I guess.
I take it that the build quality will be up to Mike's usual standard, bloody good
Your not thinking of changing yours now
__________________
bedajim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 February 2009, 07:05   #8
RIBnet supporter
 
Ian M's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: New Milton
Boat name: Jianna
Make: Osprey
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200 E-TEC
MMSI: 235076954
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 1,937
Console?

Well actually Jmaes, I've got this idea of enlarging the console, chopping through the deck, relocating the fuel tank (probably to the 'A' frame) and converting it to a cabin RIB, whadya think
__________________
Ian

Dust creation specialist
Ian M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 February 2009, 07:54   #9
Member
 
OSPREY RIBS's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Make: OSPREY
Length: 5m +
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hightower View Post
It's nice to have another console to their range but considering the amount of time they had to design and build the console, it looks pretty much like anyone elses one. I guess the upside is that it looks to be big enough for all the bits and pieces and has a built in front seat with storage. But there is no room for your legs under the console, which is a little disapointing.

A few more pages to the website to showcase all the different options and configurations would also be nice.
I've read with interest everyone's comments regarding the new console. I've got no argument with the length of time it took to produce but feel that it is a thoroughly useable console. We have deliberately kept it simple so that it is still very good value for money and extremely practical. If you look on the website you can see just how much room there is for instrumentation, large chart plotters etc. The front seat covers a large access hatch where everything can be accessed very easily. There is now ample room to walk to the front of the boat without standing on the tubes. Regarding leg-room, the console slopes away leaving masses of leg room for even the tallest helmsman. The shape by the way enables it to be extremely strong. We have now added more picutures to the website. (www.ospreyribs.co.uk) Good luck to everyone on the water in 2009, let's hope the sun shines on us all!

Roy
__________________
OSPREY RIBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 February 2009, 08:20   #10
RIBnet supporter
 
bedajim's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Cambs/Northants
Length: no boat
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 2,499
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian M View Post
Well actually Jmaes, I've got this idea of enlarging the console, chopping through the deck, relocating the fuel tank (probably to the 'A' frame) and converting it to a cabin RIB, whadya think
I'll drop mine off when you've sorted the prototype and can you also sort me a Etec 200 HO without the stars and stripes for the back end
__________________
bedajim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 February 2009, 08:26   #11
RIBnet supporter
 
Ian M's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: New Milton
Boat name: Jianna
Make: Osprey
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200 E-TEC
MMSI: 235076954
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 1,937
__________________
Ian

Dust creation specialist
Ian M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 February 2009, 08:42   #12
RIBnet supporter
 
Ian M's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: New Milton
Boat name: Jianna
Make: Osprey
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200 E-TEC
MMSI: 235076954
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 1,937
Quote:
Originally Posted by OSPREY RIBS View Post
I've read with interest everyone's comments regarding the new console. I've got no argument with the length of time it took to produce but feel that it is a thoroughly useable console. We have deliberately kept it simple so that it is still very good value for money and extremely practical. If you look on the website you can see just how much room there is for instrumentation, large chart plotters etc. The front seat covers a large access hatch where everything can be accessed very easily. There is now ample room to walk to the front of the boat without standing on the tubes. Regarding leg-room, the console slopes away leaving masses of leg room for even the tallest helmsman. The shape by the way enables it to be extremely strong. We have now added more picutures to the website. (www.ospreyribs.co.uk) Good luck to everyone on the water in 2009, let's hope the sun shines on us all!

Roy
Yep, looking again, I could have been tempted if you had had that design when I bought my hull etc. What width is it?
So, bringing one to Ribex then
__________________
Ian

Dust creation specialist
Ian M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 February 2009, 15:41   #13
Member
 
Hightower's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Fareham
Length: 6m +
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 7,855
Quote:
Originally Posted by OSPREY RIBS View Post
I've read with interest everyone's comments regarding the new console. I've got no argument with the length of time it took to produce but feel that it is a thoroughly useable console. We have deliberately kept it simple so that it is still very good value for money and extremely practical. If you look on the website you can see just how much room there is for instrumentation, large chart plotters etc. The front seat covers a large access hatch where everything can be accessed very easily. There is now ample room to walk to the front of the boat without standing on the tubes. Regarding leg-room, the console slopes away leaving masses of leg room for even the tallest helmsman. The shape by the way enables it to be extremely strong. We have now added more picutures to the website. (www.ospreyribs.co.uk) Good luck to everyone on the water in 2009, let's hope the sun shines on us all!

Roy


The Slope on the Console wasn't obvious from the pictures I saw yesterday, however your new photo's showcase the incline nicely.

I guess I was hoping for something that was a little more rounded looking, but can't argue with the size of that front seating.

Is Into the Red the first Vipermax to feature the new console?
__________________
Andy

Looks Slow but is Fast
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 February 2009, 17:41   #14
Member
 
blufin's Avatar
 
Country: Ireland
Make: Osprey
Length: 7m +
Engine: 2 x 200
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hightower View Post

Is Into the Red the first Vipermax to feature the new console?

hi andy, i think the burgundy tubed 6.5 with the 200 ho pictured on the website was the first.
atb gerry
__________________
blufin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 February 2009, 05:18   #15
Member
 
OSPREY RIBS's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Make: OSPREY
Length: 5m +
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian M View Post
Yep, looking again, I could have been tempted if you had had that design when I bought my hull etc. What width is it?
So, bringing one to Ribex then
Hi Ian,

The console is 1100mm at it's widest point and 810mm at it's narrowest point, at the front of the seat. It was designed to taper approximately the same as the tubes so you have an even space between the tubes and the console as you move forward. The console also tapers slightly as it gets taller just to make it look nice.

Are we going to Ribex? - Not sure yet but what I can say is that I will be on the South Coast with my new boat during the show period and I would be happy to meet anybody by prior appointment.

This boat is going to be tested in Sports Boat & Rib in the May/June edition. This will be a new experience for me and I'm looking forward to demonstrating what the boat is capable of. The first time out (last weekend) the boat performed brilliantly with a top speed of 58 mph (taken off the GPS speedo) but as I am sure all Osprey enthusiasts know, it's the ride and handling in rough conditions that I am always most impressed with.

I am also intending to do the Isle of Man run in June, which is being organised by Dave Manning - I believe at the moment there are well over 20 boats going.
__________________
OSPREY RIBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 February 2009, 14:40   #16
Member
 
Erin's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Channel Islands
Town: A large rock
Boat name: La Frette
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200 Suzzy
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 2,853
Nice to see a simple new console available. It must have said something, that a number of us here on Ribnet have supplied our own for fitting during the build.

It looks to me as though you've also improved the seat pods and done away with the skirt/plinth at the bottom. Nice. Much better for fitting side hatches if you want them.

Keith
__________________

__________________
Erin is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:47.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×