Old 17 December 2002, 13:13   #31
RIBnet supporter

Town: Peel, IOM
Length: no boat
RIBase
I have read the Lloyds report and I don't get it !!
If the wreck is guarded by 3 ships then 1 arial photo will prove/disprove it (lets face it, there must be enough press chaps up there!), and.....
If they are broadcasting the wrong position for the wreck, one tape recording of the broadcast will prove/disprove it.
Either way a) surely Lloyds have Agents etc. in France? and b) surely one discreet phone call from a Brit to his French working colleage should straighten things out?

This isn't one of those "damned Johny foreigner" things is it?
Old 17 December 2002, 13:18   #32
RIBnet supporter

Town: Peel, IOM
Length: no boat
RIBase
And another thing....
where are all you ribsters arguing for more tests/licences etc. now?
These ships have got ALL the right kit, ALL the highly trained and certificated officers (and possibly crew), ALL the regs. in the world, inspections etc., AND they are watched over on RADAR etc. by the Coastguards, AND they still get it wrong!!!!

"Hands off my RIB, Sir Humphrey!" Thats what I say !!
Old 17 December 2002, 13:24   #33

Town: Aberystwyth
Boat name: Undecided
Make: Undecided
Length: Undecided
Engine: Undecided
If commercial ship crews didn't have to have all these qualifications and have all the equipment, this sort of thing would happen a lot more often. You need to be licensed to drive a car, doesn't stop accidents happening, but it means that to get a license you have been trained in how to operate the vehicle correctly. I'm not saying any mandatory tests/licenses/regulations should be brought in for RIBs, but it could improve safety.

Think how many wrecked cargo ships there'd be in the English Channel if ship operators didn't have to spend all this money on complying with regulations. You'd still have some of the operators making sure that they're crews are properly trained and the boats are kitted out properly, but I reckon you'd get a lot of companies trying to cut costs and not bother with it.

As I've said in the past, I'm not saying more regulations should be brought in, I know that they would be nigh on impossible to police FULLY, but if they could be policed properly they would surely have a positive impact upon safety at sea in small craft.

Matt