Old 02 October 2006, 19:06   #21

Town: Fareham
Length: 6m +
So what of other hull makes then? Humber, Shakespear, Osprey, Parker and in particular, Tohatsu (one design), Ring and Atlantis KR7 (have a keen interest in this one)?

Looks Slow but is Fast
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 October 2006, 20:21   #22

Town: helston
Boat name: pressman
Make: Carson 900
Length: 9m +
Engine: twin 370 yanmar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hightower
So what of other hull makes then? Humber, Shakespear, Osprey, Parker and in particular, Tohatsu (one design), Ring and Atlantis KR7 (have a keen interest in this one)?
Why not come and seatrial our Carson 600 you will be pleasantly suprised by it's characteristics particularly how it will grip the water in a hard turn
Old 02 October 2006, 23:31   #23

Might well do that Steve. I am only looking for bare hull and possibly tubes only as I want to do the fit out.

Looks Slow but is Fast
Old 03 October 2006, 07:34   #24

Town: Pwllheli-North Wales
Boat name: V-ONE
Make: Highfield
Length: 8m +
Engine: Honda 250hp
Why not look at shaekspeare as a cheap option? you can buy the hull direct of shakespeare hand have tubed when you like?

jono
Old 03 October 2006, 11:52   #25

Yep, that is an option Jono. I know Steve and was once offered a cancelled order of a 6.2 with stainless tanks at a very cheap price (one I couldn't take advantage on at the time). I'm a little way off my project and will have to wait till I sell my current boat.

Looks Slow but is Fast
Old 05 October 2006, 14:29   #26

Town: nottingham
Make: Rib-X
Engine: Suzuki 140
Virgin

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey
I'm looking for help on choosing a 6.5m or 7m leisure rib with good rough sea handling capabilities (we want to travel long distances off north Cornwall and west Wales). My main criterion is that it must be light (bare hull no more than about 550kg), due to the tow vehicle that I have.

My weight limitation seems to rule out eg Ribcraft, and appears to leave XS (6.5m), Solent (7m), Rib-X (6.5m), and - if I re-mortgaged - Bananashark (7.7m) as the main contenders at my 550kg weight.

Have I missed any mainstream manufacturer out?

Does anyone have any comparative experience on the various ribs? Test drives are all very well, but I suspect that different sea conditions, trim, engines etc mean that firm comparisons are difficult. My impression is that XS gives a more solid ride, whilst Solent is a little more prone to porpoising but is more able to take heavy seas comfortably at speed (and the extra half metre would help, I presume). Rib-X does not seem to get a particularly good press, but I'm not quite sure why, apart from the fact that it's made abroad. And then there's Bananashark ...
This is my first time on this site and i would like to throw in my two penneth..! if you are looking at around 6.5 i can say hand on heart that my Rib-X 650 is simply FANTASTIC...!! i have met a number of owners over the year that i have had mine and they are all of the same opinion.. i have never seen a report from any marine press regarding this model that is anything but Glowing.. I read reports from Rib International, Sportsboat and Rib and Boat Mart before i bought mine and they were all spot on..!!
I have been on thier web site today and notice they are having a demo weekend soon so you could try one for yourself.. happy hunting..
Old 05 October 2006, 14:55   #27
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian
This is my first time on this site and i would like to throw in my two penneth..! if you are looking at around 6.5 i can say hand on heart that my Rib-X 650 is simply FANTASTIC...!! i have met a number of owners over the year that i have had mine and they are all of the same opinion.. i have never seen a report from any marine press regarding this model that is anything but Glowing.. I read reports from Rib International, Sportsboat and Rib and Boat Mart before i bought mine and they were all spot on..!!
I have been on thier web site today and notice they are having a demo weekend soon so you could try one for yourself.. happy hunting..
Curiously your IP address matches that of Colin Baldwin whose email address is sales@rib-x.co.uk

It therefore appears that you are posing as a customer in order to falsely promote your product. If this is the case it is not only dishonest, but also breaches RIBnet's Guidelines for commercial posting

Please do let me know if there is another explanation.

John
Old 05 October 2006, 15:08   #28

Town: Pembrokeshire
Boat name: Pendragon
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: 200 suzuki
(
Code:
+ say 100 for the jockey console battery etc + 100 for fuel)
Well, you won't be going far on 100kg's of fuel !!!!!!!
Old 05 October 2006, 15:30   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kennett
Curiously your IP address matches that of Colin Baldwin
Red Handed
Old 05 October 2006, 16:33   #30

Town: Bracknell
Boat name: Boatless and lost
Length: no boat
MMSI: Who?
Quote:
Curiously your IP address matches that of Colin Baldwin whose email address is sales@rib-x.co.uk

It therefore appears that you are posing as a customer in order to falsely promote your product. If this is the case it is not only dishonest, but also breaches RIBnet's Guidelines for commercial posting

John

Blimey, talk about BIG brother!!

Nice one JK!!

Born to stuff!!
Phil Chitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 October 2006, 17:00   #31

Town: Guernsey
Make: Pending
Here is another one I don't know.

COuld you post a website for Carson please Pressman?
Tx.
Rupert.
Old 05 October 2006, 17:00   #32

Town: British Columbia
Make: Gemini
Length: 4m +
Engine: 40hp 2 str
Quote:

John
...Making some popcorn... it's getting interesting...
Old 05 October 2006, 17:09   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairie tuber
...Making some popcorn... it's getting interesting...
I've eat'n mine all up .

Looks Slow but is Fast
Old 05 October 2006, 20:28   #34

Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by peter 24/7
(
Code:
+ say 100 for the jockey console battery etc + 100 for fuel)
Well, you won't be going far on 100kg's of fuel !!!!!!!
Why? I imagine most Humbers have tanks in that sort of size range since that's all there is available....! I think my under console tank is 90ltr.

Rib-x - never heard of one but apparently not off to a good start in getting recommendations
Old 06 October 2006, 08:21   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by BogMonster
Why? not off to a good start in getting recommendations
Christian would disagree
Old 04 March 2007, 21:30   #36

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Aftica
Make: Rib-X
Engine: 150 Evinrude Etec
In my opinion, Rib-X have a very good all round RIB that will deliver

Mickey,

you really do have one hell of a lot on offer to you at present, with new RIB manufacturers appearing week on week, it is a complete and utter minefield ahead of you. If you speak to manufacturers, they will tell you the virtues of their design and some will tell you why you should not purchase from other manufacturers.

All i can offer is some feedback on one of the boats that you have commented on as a possibility. Firstly are you referring to the Rib-X eXplorer 650 LUX, eXplorer 640, or the 650 eXpert?

I have tried ans testedand taught people to contorl all of these boats and i have been nothing but impressed with the performance of all of them. The huills of the Explorers giev a very good soft ride through smooth and riough seas and the high bow with very littel overhang is very difficult to stuff into waves when in a heavy following sea. I have liked the boats so much that i have purchased a 650 eXpert that i use with my work as a safety support boat, work boat and charter craft.

Overall, very competent boats and my 650 eXpert coupled with a 150 Evinrude Etec is a fantastic mix that will enable me to do 25 knots with 8 people on board and only be using 18-22 litres per hour. All i can say is watch out France!!
Old 04 March 2007, 21:52   #37
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNIwatersports View Post
Mickey,

you really do have one hell of a lot on offer to you at present, with new RIB manufacturers appearing week on week, it is a complete and utter minefield ahead of you. If you speak to manufacturers, they will tell you the virtues of their design and some will tell you why you should not purchase from other manufacturers.

All i can offer is some feedback on one of the boats that you have commented on as a possibility. Firstly are you referring to the Rib-X eXplorer 650 LUX, eXplorer 640, or the 650 eXpert?

I have tried ans testedand taught people to contorl all of these boats and i have been nothing but impressed with the performance of all of them. The huills of the Explorers giev a very good soft ride through smooth and riough seas and the high bow with very littel overhang is very difficult to stuff into waves when in a heavy following sea. I have liked the boats so much that i have purchased a 650 eXpert that i use with my work as a safety support boat, work boat and charter craft.

Overall, very competent boats and my 650 eXpert coupled with a 150 Evinrude Etec is a fantastic mix that will enable me to do 25 knots with 8 people on board and only be using 18-22 litres per hour. All i can say is watch out France!!
Hmm. 5 months late and syntax very familiar to 'Christian'...?

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 March 2007, 23:53   #38

Town: Dorset
Boat name: Pending
Disagree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Wave View Post
good point Mickey

I'd take the XS over the Solent in a rough sea cos I prefer the Hull shape at the back also I find the Solent slips a little in a tight power turn.

Having said that I fancy the Solent is a little better built than the XS but the XS is OK and before anybody has a pop I have one of each in our storage facility so I have had a very good opportunity to compare the two builds

I wouldn't take a Falcon Xrib to a lake but that's cos I don't reckon the build quality but the Hull shape is good

my real advice for a 6.5 would be a Scorpion but they are rare
I have been around boats all my life (37 years), through force 8 gales in 25ft yachts & out in all conditions, as a kid i helped my farther in the family business (boat builders & designers) & i have in the last 15 years owned many boats myself eg;Jetskis, Bayliners, Sealines, Sunseekers, Yachts....ect but as i wanted a boat to just blast about on in Portland race (this can be very rough) i brought my first rib 3 years ago, after testing many others i chose the Rib-x RSR700 (Falcon RS700) the actual boat tested by H.M.S in Rib International (*he did not like it much) i can testify that this boats hull is without a dought one of the best ive been to sea in (including a rescue in a force 7 to tow a humber!) at no point did this boat ever give me a reason to worry about the conditions (*as long as you know how to drive & trim a boat properly) i have since sold it & wish i haddent. I now have a Ribcraft in build. However the fit-out quality on my Rib-x was not to a good standard & there customer services was so poor so i would never deal with them again (shame as would have brought another RSR700 & fitted it out myself, there loss). You should never knock a boat until you have lived with it for a while & i had no problems with my RSR700 'Falcon' & i gave it proper stick & came back smiling every time.

The Titanic was built by professionals - The Ark was built by one man!
www.aqua-care.co.uk
Spike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 March 2007, 00:13   #39

Town: Dorset
Boat name: Pending
Rib-X Build Quality.

[QUOTE=Rogue Wave;168004] good point Mickey

I'd take the XS over the Solent in a rough sea cos I prefer the Hull shape at the back also I find the Solent slips a little in a tight power turn.

Having said that I fancy the Solent is a little better built than the XS but the XS is OK and before anybody has a pop I have one of each in our storage facility so I have had a very good opportunity to compare the two builds

I wouldn't take a Falcon Xrib to a lake but that's cos I don't reckon the build quality but the Hull shape is good

my real advice for a 6.5 would be a Scorpion but they are rare

I changed over to RIBs 3 years ago from motor cruisers & i wanted a boat to just blast about on in Portland race (this can be very rough) go cruiseing & nip across the channel & a lot of wave jumping, after testing many different RIBs i chose the Rib-X RSR700 (Falcon RS700) the actual boat tested by H.M.S in Rib International (*he did not like it much, i was there) i can testify that this boats hull is without a dought one of the best ive been to sea in (including a rescue in a force 7 to tow a humber!) at no point did this boat ever give me a reason to worry about the conditions (*as long as you know how to drive & trim a boat properly) i have since sold it & wish i haddent. However i agree the fit-out quality on my Rib-X was of a very poor standard & there customer services even more poor so i would never deal with them again (shame as would have brought another RSR700 & fitted it out myself, there loss). I belive you should never knock a boat until you have lived with it for a while & i had no problems with my RSR700 'Falcon' & i gave it proper stick & came back smiling every time, i would buy another but they just dont come up for sale secondhand. I now have a Ribcraft in build so quality wont be an issue.

The Titanic was built by professionals - The Ark was built by one man!
www.aqua-care.co.uk
Spike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 March 2007, 07:10   #40

Town: Brittany/Portsmouth
Boat name: Merlin
Make: Solent 6.5
Engine: 200
MMSI: soon !
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Wave View Post
I find the Solent slips a little in a tight power turn.
Depends on who's at the helm

Kathleen