Old 03 July 2002, 19:18   #1

Town: Greenock
Make: Flatacraft Force 4
Length: 4.3m
Engine: 50hp Mercury
New Here

Lo all. Ive just registered, and am fairly new to RIBs.

I've just bought a Flatacraft Force 4 with a 40hp Mercury outboard. What is the general opinion of thes boats and engines, and what are the things I should be looking out for with my boat and engine?

All help and advice is appreciated.

Gadge
Old 06 July 2002, 06:07   #2

Town: Pembrokeshire
Boat name: MATUKA
Make: Lencraft
Length: 5.5m
Engine: Mariner 60 4s Efi
Welcome to the starange world of RIBs. I know nothing about the Flatcraft series of boats. The mercury engine should serve you very well. In general they are well out together and are basically from the same stable as Yamaha.Mariner.
As to what to look out for with the boat/engine it's hard to know where to start.
I highly reccommend that you get some RYA training (if not already done). I also suggest that you purchase a copy of a book called Powerboating by Peter White, this is being updated at present, it could even be finished.
__________________________________________________ __
BOAT: Keep the boat washed down and covered when not in use.

1.Make sure that grit/stones and the like do not get in between the deck and sponsons, they can cause chaffing and then a leak, once in a while let the sponsons down and give the crevice a good clean out with a soft brush/hoover.

2.Make sure that any minor repairs are carried out as soon as possible.
Make sure that all lines/warps are free from tangle and ready for use.

3.Make sure the deck is clean and not slippery. Do NOT clean sponsons with any silicone based "gosh my boat is shiney" products, you passengers will not be passengers for long!

4. Keep the sponsons at the right inflation when using and dont forget that when(IF EVER) it gets hot, they will expand, so if they have been pumped up hard, they may over inflate.

5. Keep a photograph of the boat, together with serial number and details of CE Plate.

6.Keep the trailer locked when ashore, a wheel lock or clamp such as the SAS clamp is good, and you could also consider something like a Bulldog hitch lock

That's a start and I am sure that some of the other wise heads on this forum can add too it...perhaps not a bad idea to get a list together amonhst us all for newcomers...

ENGINE:
1. Flush after use
2. Keep oil etc topped to right level
3. Keep prop in good order, a damaged prop can damage the gear box.
4. Make sure the right prop is fitted, search this forum for previos repiles to this subject.
5. Fit an engine locking device.
6. Keep it serviced.
7. When its not going to be in use for sometime, take the fule line off and run the engine dry, this will stop gunk building up in the engine.

HOPE ALL THIS HELPS..............COME ON FORUM..LETS HELP GET THISLIST RUNNING
Old 06 July 2002, 08:50   #3

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
hi Gadge,

Good advice from David.

Ther RYA courses are good - I've recently completed the Advanced Powerboat course and it was excellent - all the better for a bit of rough weather! The instructors like you to keep the boat up on the plane, and often chastised my caution with "c'mon then - full throttle!"

Two things I'd add to David's list:
1. Always use a kill cord / engine lanyard. Attach it your lifejacket, or wrap it round your leg.
2. Take a VHF with you. I use a handheld one, which is supposedly fully waterproof, but I keep it in a waterproof case hung around my neck, with a couple of corks inside the bag as well. Oh, and do your course for this if you haven't already. knowing the correct procedure is important - I've noticed the Coastguard ignoring radio check calls from people who don't use the correct procedure!

Enjoy!
Old 06 July 2002, 21:34   #4

Town: SOUTHAMPTON
Boat name: Won't get Fooled Again
Make: Ribtec
Length: 6.5
Engine: Honda 130
Firstly may I say what an excellent thread, you must be a clever guy, you have only been in the pastime for three minutes and you already have loads of people looking to help you out......RIB.NET really is superb for getting info as I am sure you will find

I am faily new to RIbs also, about 2.5 years, but fortunately my Son has many years experience, so a combination of his knowledge , and talking to the right people has helped me loads.

Everything mentioned in these lists is good advice and if you plough through all the posted thread over the past two years or so you will glean a lot of information. There are some very learned people on these forums and sometimes they have a difference of opinion so you really get into the theory behind the advice.

I need to look at the items posted by the other guys so I can add to them be back soon.
Old 06 July 2002, 22:02   #5

Hello It's me again, It's also good advice from Pepper,

If you can't get to do the VHF courses, contact a sailing club as they have trainers come in to teach the members and it usually works out at under 50 quid (or do you use Euro's in Scotland!)
Also if you contact the RYA you can buy the course books from them which will help you with the theory they are dear but under a tenner.

Also if you have a rib you may find a local sailing club would be intersted in your vessel and you for safety duties and might train you to the required standard in some symbiotic method.

VHF.........as far as I am concerned ICOM make the best portable VHF unit for Ribs they are tough and waterproof. Pepper cork bag sounds a stunnly simple and effective flotation device

Contigency, is also important

spare fuel can and pipe (useless if empty by the way)
Waterproof bottles with flares marinesafety. co.uk have got a good deal going on on Coastal and insure Wessex flare packs at the moment....much cheap. make sure they have three years left on the use by date though.
spare plugs for engineand spanner
WD40
Spare kill cord
compass
GPS

Talk to the RNLI about safety and also your local Harbour Master

essentially you could do with a Thermal protection aid.
first aid kit
mirror
Multi tool....Leatherman or clone, wrap it in that sort of oily paper Guns come in or a plastice bag
Waterproof Bag for spare KIt
Oh yeah and make sure your bow rope is just a little shorter than the distance from the cleat to the Prop
I am presuming you have a lifejacket, torch whistle and stuff

Cheers
Old 07 July 2002, 22:03   #6

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
Cheers Wavehumper - I'd been meaning to order a spare kill-cord and you just reminded me!
Old 17 July 2002, 22:31   #7

Town: Pembrokeshire
Boat name: MATUKA
Make: Lencraft
Length: 5.5m
Engine: Mariner 60 4s Efi
Nice to see that people are adding to the list. On the subject of a spsre kill cord, amke sure you buy a proper one from the manufacturer. As with anything else with "marine" stamped on it, it will cost +% more, BUT there have been reported cases of cheap copies breaking, and that is as useful as a chocolate teapot.
I will, in time, take the list here and put it into some order. All the additions are sound sense. You can spend £s on kit, but the best to do is make a basic set up and then add as finances allow.
Think of it this way. A boat costs 7K. 10% is 700. 1% is £70.
If you aim to spend about 4% pa on kit, you will soon work up a good list. The initial outlay will be greater, but you can add after that. Suggest a budget pla over next few years, even for fuel, so the quiet months make a contribution to the season.
makes sense?
Dave
PS...dolphins x 3 off Anglesy Saturday last whist preparing for a holiday in sailing....watch the swear words...holiday. Brill.
Reccommend Plas Menai to anyone looking for a course.
Dave, (RYA Powerboat Instructor).
Old 18 July 2002, 14:56   #8
RIBnet supporter

Town: Peel, IOM
Length: no boat
RIBase
How about joining BIBOA?
Cost, I think £35.(?)
You will meet lots of nice ribsters, learn a hell of a lot from them, enjoy their company and assistance and go on some smashing cruises under their expert tuition and organisation.
Well worth the outllay and you will possibly even SAVE money after listening to their advice. You name the piece of kit, betcha someone in BIBOA has one, tried it and can tell you wether it's worth buying or avoiding.
Good advice costs you nothing but your attention.
Old 18 July 2002, 15:35   #9

Make: FB 55
Length: 10m +
Good Advice
Old 16 August 2002, 12:50   #10

Nothing New to add here just wanted to make it easier for another nerw boy to read this. Spud there is a lot of good advice in this thread, as in most of the threads.
Old 16 August 2002, 21:09   #11

Town: gloucester
Make: ribtech
Length: 585
Engine: Yam 115
Thanx Thewavehumper

Yeah i can see the people on this site know there stuff. I can feel myself catching the bug big time, i cant wait to try a ride wiv one ov the guys who have so kindly offered already!
Old 25 August 2002, 19:41   #12

Town: Newquay Cornwall
Make: Ribeye
Length: 4.5m
Engine: 40hp
I am looking to buy a 4.5m Ribeye with 40 hp so as you have a similar boat how are you finding things.
I am ,like you, new to all this so would appreciate your comments.
Does the boat go well and what are you doing with the boat.

Cheers
Old 25 August 2002, 22:21   #13
DM
RIBnet supporter

Boat name: Little Wing
Make: Searider 5.4
Engine: Tohatsu 90
new to ribs

Increase your earnings to 60000 plus. Buy a copy of rib international and you will find it all comes easy. otherwise beg steal borrow, speak to people who know, as clint says, improvise, adapt, overcome. Do not offer to pay launching fees unless asked, always have two engines and two fuel tanks and two batteries and two radios and two gps and a big knife preferably without a sharp point.
Old 26 August 2002, 08:42   #14
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
Quote:
Increase your earnings to 60000 plus.
Loads of cash certainly helps, but it's perfectly possible to do lots of ribbing on a more modest budget.
Quote:
Buy a copy of rib international and you will find it all comes easy.
What does RIB International make easy? Earning lots of money?
Quote:
Do not offer to pay launching fees unless asked
Not the best way of building a good relationship with the harbour master! Why not just be honest? Launching fees make up a negligible proportion of the purchase and running costs of a RIB. How about "Do not offer to pay for the pile of kit you pick up at the chandlers unless asked"?
Quote:
always have two engines and two fuel tanks and two batteries and two radios and two gps and a big knife preferably without a sharp point
Useful stuff certainly, but do you always need to have all of these?

John
Old 26 August 2002, 09:34   #15

Town: Hilton-of-Cadboll

Get into ribbing now before the full force of the law stops you!

Keith (he he he) Hart
Old 26 August 2002, 14:48   #16
DM
RIBnet supporter

Boat name: Little Wing
Make: Searider 5.4
Engine: Tohatsu 90
yes john, i agree it is possible to do it on a modest budget as this is how i have had to do it, building my kit up and improving it over the years. with reference to launch fees i,m not suggesting for a minute that you should be dishonest, and while there are many excellent slips and helpful harbour masters it grieves me to pay twelve quid to launch on poorly maintained or user unfriendly slips e.g slips where after you have launched you have to drive miles to park truck/trailer. launching in weymouth earlier this year i walked half a mile to pay my slip fee and on return to the slip the truck/trailer/boat had a parking ticket on it. This was sorted by the friendly harbourmaster. The point i am making is that there is always somebody ready to dive into your pocket for providing poor service. Launch fees can be a large part of the budget. A weeks holiday at aberdovey with six launches would cost you seventy five quid for a nightmare of a slip. As for two of everything, perhaps you dont really need back up but when problems arise i like to be self sufficient where possible. Carrying spare trailer bearings is a good example.
Old 26 August 2002, 17:16   #17

Town: Hilton-of-Cadboll
Of course you could always do what I did....buy a house on the most spectacular boating coast in the uk so you can launch from the bottom of your own garden! Sod the launch fees.

Of course the problem is now I can only afford a little sib Still no one ever aid life would be perfect!

Keith (whatever you do it in, just do it) Hart