Old 31 July 2009, 10:20   #1

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: Thunder
Make: Halmatic Arctic 22
Length: 6m +
Engine: 2 x 150 Etec
New Engines - How Fast??

Taking the rib out for its first run witht the new engines later today, with twin 115's i was getting 43 knots. How fast do you thing its going to be with twin 150 E-Tec's?
Old 31 July 2009, 10:22   #2

Town: Up Norf
Make: Avon SR4,Tremlett 23
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yam 55, Volvo 200
55kts?
Old 31 July 2009, 13:31   #3
mdt

Town: fife
Make: Humber / searider
Length: 5m +
MMSI: ... - - - ...
plenty...
Old 31 July 2009, 14:19   #4

Town: tununak
Boat name: fv ravin madd
Make: achillis & avon
Engine: outboards
How you Brits like the ETecs?

I would like to know how the etec outboards have worked out for you guys over there? In Alaska we consider them to be a pain and most guys smile when they hear them talked about. We have seen lots of shelled out kickers of this brand but that means nothing really. I know they have a plated bore and cant be rebored so new block after a meltdown. I would like to hear your guys reports I know you take your boating to full level over there and great pride in captains after all 500 years of sailing or more. I do know Im leaving the 4 strokes behind after having two in the last 10 years both high time heavy loads and great care. Im looking for ease of working on them as I live in a very remote part of the world.
Old 31 July 2009, 15:28   #5

Damn I'm going to have to wait till next week to find out, everything is fitted they are just waiting for a hub to connect the twin setup to the new gauges. :-( Looks nice though with shiny new lumps on the back :-)
Old 31 July 2009, 15:31   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by pale horse View Post
I would like to know how the etec outboards have worked out for you guys over there? In Alaska we consider them to be a pain and most guys smile when they hear them talked about. We have seen lots of shelled out kickers of this brand but that means nothing really. I know they have a plated bore and cant be rebored so new block after a meltdown. I would like to hear your guys reports I know you take your boating to full level over there and great pride in captains after all 500 years of sailing or more. I do know Im leaving the 4 strokes behind after having two in the last 10 years both high time heavy loads and great care. Im looking for ease of working on them as I live in a very remote part of the world.
I hope the new ones will be good, I'm replacing twin 115 Ficht's which were 8 years old and had done about 800 hours when one piston shed its rings.
Old 31 July 2009, 18:19   #7

Town: Gloucestershire
Boat name: Osprey
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Engine: E-tec 300 G2
MMSI: TBC
Quote:
I think they are great however how they will cope in the Alaskan climate is not for me to say!.

I think the two biggest issues with E-tec is finding a dealer who knows how to rig the engine right and shit fuel.

I have seen a number of people on the E-tec owners website struggle with injector problems due to corrosion caused by water in fuel due to the high levels of Ethanol you guys have over there so it does not suprise me you have heard a few horror stories.

Poor quality fuel is the death of an E-tec due to injectors failing and burning out the cylinder which I think in the UK is much less of a problem (and it certainly shouldn't be with the amount we pay for Petrol)

Born fiddler
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 August 2009, 09:50   #8

Town: West Wales
Make: Vipermax 5.8, SR4.7
Engine: 150 Opti, F50EFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordyP View Post
Taking the rib out for its first run witht the new engines later today, with twin 115's i was getting 43 knots. How fast do you thing its going to be with twin 150 E-Tec's?
49-50kts
Old 01 August 2009, 09:51   #9

Town: West Wales
Make: Vipermax 5.8, SR4.7
Engine: 150 Opti, F50EFi
Quote:
.... We have seen lots of shelled out kickers of this brand....
Old 09 August 2009, 09:13   #10

Town: Cannes
Boat name: midkat 550
Make: apoge
Engine: 2x50 Tohatsu
another drawback about Etec is the oil : owners are strongly recommended to use the XD100 - very expensive - and if not available the cheaper XD50, but only after reprogramming the ECU to allow more oil to flow.
In very cold climate, the XD100 is much better than XD50, even after reprog.
Old 09 August 2009, 09:52   #11
CJL

Town: London/Oxford
Make: Ribcrafts
Engine: 150hp/2x115hp
MMSI: 235090215
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to CJL
Old 18 August 2009, 18:03   #12

Ok so running with 14 x 22 props I'm getting 49 knots, revs at WOT are 5000 so i reckon with the props changed to 14 x 19's I should get up to full operating revs of 5800 and maybe get her through the 50 knot barrier. I have to say that that the power from the E-Tecs is amazing ).
Old 18 August 2009, 18:48   #13

Gordy,

The ideal top end operating range for the 150 is 5500 - 5600 RPM. I have my 150 propped to hit 5500 at WOT when fully timmed out. I did try an 18" prop and got 5650 and lost 3 knots.

I think you will be better off with 20" props. You may find you loose some top end speed with the 19's.

To gain RPM you may find that you can raise the engines on the transom as the E-tecs like to run quite high up. Did you check to see if your anti ventilation plates were riding above the surface?

Heres a picture of an E-tec mounted too low and then at the incorrect height...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	toolow.jpg
Views:	359
Size:	33.9 KB
ID:	44993   Click image for larger version

Name:	correctheight.jpg
Views:	263
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	44994  

Born fiddler
Old 19 August 2009, 08:36   #14

Cheers Chris,

Going out tomorrow night with the usual load of divers and kit to see how she goes, good point on the vent plate, I'll have a check and see how she runs with weight on board. The engines have been set up so that the vent plate is in line with the bottom of the transom. Props that are currently on are ali, I want to make sure that I order the right stainless props!!
Old 19 August 2009, 20:27   #15

Quote:
Cheers Chris,

Going out tomorrow night with the usual load of divers and kit to see how she goes, good point on the vent plate, I'll have a check and see how she runs with weight on board. The engines have been set up so that the vent plate is in line with the bottom of the transom. Props that are currently on are ali, I want to make sure that I order the right stainless props!!
Gordy,

To be honest I dont think you will see much more speed by dropping down in prop size however you are currently lugging the engine at 5000RPM so you do need to drop the prop size.

If your plates are currently level with the hull you may well be able to raise the engines at least 2 holes which could gain you 100-200RPM. A lot depends upon your hull and what props you end up getting. I would be tempted to go for 20" Vipers and see if you can also gain some RPMs by raising a couple of holes. Its a big decision to get right as the props are not cheap. If you wanted to borrow a 19" RH prop to try you are welcome to borrow mine then you just need to get hold of a LH one from someone else (assuming you are running contra rotating engines of course)

I have posted a question on the US based E-tec owners forum to see if any of the US or Australian guys who rig hundreds of twin installs of these engines can add any ideas.

Chris

Born fiddler
Old 19 August 2009, 21:38   #16
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Ok so running with 14 x 22 props I'm getting 49 knots, revs at WOT are 5000 so i reckon with the props changed to 14 x 19's I should get up to full operating revs of 5800 and maybe get her through the 50 knot barrier. I have to say that that the power from the E-Tecs is amazing ).
I'm running 14 x 19 on 90s and getting about 4750 (ono ). Keep in mind that twins should be one notch overpropped compared to a single rig.
Old 19 August 2009, 21:50   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
I'm running 14 x 19 on 90s and getting about 4750 (ono ). Keep in mind that twins should be one notch overpropped compared to a single rig.
Do you mean underpropped so if one engine quits the other should still have the grunt to get it on the plane?

If you do then you need to drop down a couple of inches becuase you are 250RPM below the optimum RPM for the 90's

E-tec RPM Chart

Born fiddler
Old 19 August 2009, 21:56   #18
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Do you mean underpropped so if one engine quits the other should still have the grunt to get it on the plane?
I don't think so, they just are . I think 'cos they're sharing the load so more Prop surface per HP to Load than a single, make sense?
Old 19 August 2009, 22:00   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
I don't think so, they just are . I think 'cos they're sharing the load so more Prop surface per HP to Load than a single, make sense?
Not really

Born fiddler
Old 19 August 2009, 22:00   #20

Town: Manchester
Boat name: n/a
Make: n/a
Length: under 3m
Engine: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Gordy,

The ideal top end operating range for the 150 is 5500 - 5600 RPM. I have my 150 propped to hit 5500 at WOT when fully timmed out. I did try an 18" prop and got 5650 and lost 3 knots.

I think you will be better off with 20" props......Did you check to see if your anti ventilation plates were
Erm.....what are.....ahem.....ventilation plates? Also, er.....does 18", 19" or 20" when that measurement applies to a prop. mean the distance it will travel forward during one full revolution? Or am I talking a load of bulls**t?

Walks away whistling nervously while everyone else on the Forum shakes their collective head.