Old 21 August 2007, 11:26   #1

Town: Haverfordwest
Boat name: Nenya
Make: Tornado 5.1
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mercury 60hp
MMSI: 235051491
New engine....or a new boat?

A little hyperthetical at the moment although I'd like to think I may be able to do one or the other early in the new year, this is my dilemma.
I'm considering putting a new engine on the Tornado. The rib is about 10 years old but is in superb condition having been very well looked after by its previous owners and I've tried to do the same.
The engine is about the same age and although it's running like a swiss watch I'd rather something newer, bigger and with better fuel economy.
The question is, rather than replacing the engine, would it be better to sell the Tornado as a complete package and invest the money from that plus the money which the engine would have cost into something a bit bigger all round and nearly new?
I'm estimating that if I replaced the lot I'd have about 10-11k to splurge.
Old 21 August 2007, 11:33   #2

Town: Midlands
Make: Nautique
Length: 6m +
Engine: PCM 5.7l
Have you been out on a bigger rib?
I think if the opportunity was there to upgrade to a larger boat it'd be a no brainer for me. The difference just from a 5m to a 6m is enormous.
Old 21 August 2007, 11:47   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by simmons0 View Post
I think if the opportunity was there to upgrade to a larger boat it'd be a no brainer for me. The difference just from a 5m to a 6m is enormous.
Several times, mate of mine has a 6m with 115hp on the back, difference is very noticable as you say. Have been let loose on a 9m with a 300hp diesel inboard too, don't think my budget would stretch to that though!
Old 21 August 2007, 11:52   #4

Town: Bucks
Boat name: Blue & Ding Dong
Make: Ribeye,SR4 & Bombard
Engine: 115,50 & 15Hp Yams
Quote:
Originally Posted by simmons0 View Post
Yep it is 1000mm
It really is up to you do you want a bigger boat, or are you happy with what you have? Or do you just want more HP as you could end you with more HP & better fuel economy!
A bigger boat is more expensive to run & more hassle to launch & recover!
Old 21 August 2007, 13:32   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Hearne View Post
Yep it is 1000mm
It really is up to you do you want a bigger boat, or are you happy with what you have? Or do you just want more HP as you could end you with more HP & better fuel economy!
I'm very happy with what I have, but I think I'd be very happy if I had something like my buddies as mentioned above.
The problems you mentioned with regard to the bigger boat are spot on, my friend is a little envious of the associated benefits of my smaller boat, as I am of the benefits of his larger vessel.
I guess it comes down the basic economics of it, is it worth putting a brand new engine on to an older rib, or would it be better to get rid while I'll still get a reasonable amount then use the pot to get a newer package?
Old 21 August 2007, 15:14   #6

Town: Scillies
Boat name: Freedom
Make: Searider
Engine: Yam 2st 90
It seems to me the base question is what and how do you intend to use it. If you are generally a fair weather bgoater then I would go for just a bigger engine. If you want to be able to handle bigger seas then it's change the boat and engine.

Just IMHO of course.

Ian
Old 21 August 2007, 16:13   #7

Town: Oakley
Boat name: Zerstörer
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Suzuki DF 140
MMSI: 235050131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Hearne View Post
Very much worth bearing in mind. Goes from being an easy one man launch and retrieve to a two man job. Means you have to rely on others if you trailer sail.

I now find that I can't even move my trailer on my own if its not straight in a parking slot. Damn thing ways 100s of KG !
Old 21 August 2007, 16:41   #8

Yep having gone from a sub 6m rib to my present boat which is over 2.5 tons on the trailer I can no longer launch & recover with such ease as I did with the old boat!
Old 21 August 2007, 16:51   #9

Town: Gloucestershire
Boat name: Osprey
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Engine: E-tec 300 G2
MMSI: TBC
Nick I am about to do exactly what you are saying.

I have a 10yr old Osprey Viper 5.25 with a 90 on the back. Both are in excellent condition.

I love this boat to bits but have always felt it could easily handle the max rated 120HP.

Having spent a lot of time getting this boat exactly as I wanted I think I am going to stick with it for a little longer.

Ultimately at the moment its probably worth 8000 and I have found a really good deal on an ex demo 115HP engine for 5k. I am fairly confident that I could then sell the boat if I chose next year for at least 12000 so If I decided I needed to get a bigger boat then I could do. I also suspect that I would find the Osprey easier to sell with a new engine hanging off the back.

Finally I would still have a tidy 90HP engine to sell on ebay and looking at what others have fetched I reckon I could get at least a thousand for it.
Old 21 August 2007, 17:05   #10

Town: Windsor CT
Boat name: Blue Moon
Make: ribcraft 6.5
Engine: 150 hp honda
MMSI: 338051172
I went from a 12 year old but, great shape, 18 ft ARC with a 90 hp Mariner to a 6.5 Ribcraft the a 150 Honda. I considered the same thing, upgrading the engine, to a 115 hp newer technology outboard. When we trialed the 6.5, the differences were BIG. The ride, interior room, sea handling abilities that the three extra feet in length provided were significant. Just an engine upgrade would not have changed any of those things. The fuel consumption actually decreased +- 4 miles per gal. to 5 or more mpg.

I also can still launch by myself if need be.

I guess you have to decide what's important to you. I was still able to get good resale on the old boat, but for how much longer I don't know if I had kept it for another 4-5 years.

Good luck with your decision. If you do upgrade, do check out Ribcraft.

Bill

www.eclecticwonders.com uncommon art
Old 22 August 2007, 07:22   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Nick I am about to do exactly what you are saying.

I have a 10yr old Osprey Viper 5.25 with a 90 on the back. Both are in excellent condition.

I love this boat to bits but have always felt it could easily handle the max rated 120HP.

Having spent a lot of time getting this boat exactly as I wanted I think I am going to stick with it for a little longer.

Ultimately at the moment its probably worth 8000 and I have found a really good deal on an ex demo 115HP engine for 5k. I am fairly confident that I could then sell the boat if I chose next year for at least 12000 so If I decided I needed to get a bigger boat then I could do. I also suspect that I would find the Osprey easier to sell with a new engine hanging off the back.

Finally I would still have a tidy 90HP engine to sell on ebay and looking at what others have fetched I reckon I could get at least a thousand for it.
Chris
Been there don that, had a 5.75 Viper with old Johnson v4 100hp on changed for a 4 year old Opti very low hours! When I came to sell it I think the newer engine helped no end also got all the money back I had spent buying her & the new engine!
Old 22 August 2007, 08:52   #12

Town: Gloucestershire
Boat name: Osprey
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Engine: E-tec 300 G2
MMSI: TBC
Nick what sort of increase did you see with the opti?

Chris
Old 22 August 2007, 08:57   #13

As in speed about 10 knots increase & about half the fuel when doing about 20 knots!

Nick
Old 22 August 2007, 10:08   #14

Town: Yarmouth, IoW
Boat name: 7up
Make: Ribeye Sport
Engine: Merc 150 Opti
MMSI: 235057812
Package vs Bits and Pieces

My only concern is sometimes a package that is balanced is more appealing on the resale market. Someone buying a 10 year old boat is doing so usually because they are on a budget. Therefore I would be wary of spending a lot on a new lump and expecting to sell it easily (although as Nick says, there are exceptions)
I would buy another balanced pack, maybe a 3-4 year old boat and engine, regardless of whether I am stepping up size wise or not, although alot would depend on how much you've spent on extras and whether they can easily be transferred if needed.
Tough one!
Old 24 August 2007, 12:09   #15

Thank you for the replies, sorry for my tardiness in answering.
The step up in size is not a necessity, although I think if the opportunity arose for the right price I would do so, the extra length does have it's advantages as has been pointed out. Genoas suggestion of the 3 - 4 year old boat is probably the way I would lean and that would potentially be regardless of size, though I wouldn't go smaller.
But the brand new engine with full warranty does appeal too, my concern with this was the possible effect it would have on resale value if it was stuck on an older hull, whether the condition is good or not.
I think maybe my best option is to wait and see what if anything is available at the time, as I said this is some months off now at least and if a real bargain appears out of season, (and considering the summer we've had it wouldn't surprise me if it did) I'd be rather foolish to pass up the opportunity, of course I may win the lottery in that time too!!
Whatever I decide, rest assured, we can all look forward to another which engine/boat is the best debate.