Old 13 June 2007, 11:02   #1

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
New drink boating laws

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/6749253.stm

The government just couldn't resist meddling could they?

The drink limit will apply to those "involved in the navigation of a vessel" longer than 7m (23ft) capable of speeds of 7 knots or more.

So in other words it is still possible for a drunken bum in a speed boat to do 70mph through the moorings - as long as it's 22ft long - if it's 23' then he is a danger to the public........

How do you define the 7kts? Many yachts are on the borderline. Surely it would make sense to make it "anyone drunk AND exceeding 7kts".

I really don't see why this is needed - fair enough for commercial but boats just aren't the same as cars. Even though 1 person may be in charge of a boat there are usually some other crew to help out.

Old 13 June 2007, 11:17   #2

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn View Post
Surely it would make sense to make it "anyone drunk AND exceeding 7kts".
Errr... Ummmm... yes, and it does, sort of. The BBC report isn't very well written. See here for more info: http://www.dft.gov.uk/press/speeches...lcoholmariners "section 80 should apply to those persons exercising a function in connection with the navigation of a vessel which is less than 7 metres in length and is not capable of a maximum speed of over 7 knots".
It's not law yet anyway, as the bizzarre "exemption" still appears to apply.

Richard B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2007, 11:22   #3

Town: Far west!
Boat name: Vigilant
Make: Humber
Length: 6m +
Engine: 90hp
Typical. Why make a law nice and simple when you can complicate it?

Drinking and boating either mix or don't mix, irrelevant of the size. Should I swap my Mitsubishi pickup for a Mini so I can get p1ssed and drive home safely then?

I'm all for banning drinking and boating totally (as it should be for drinking and driving), but this idea is just stupid.

Easiest law to understand would be no booze on any boat.
Old 13 June 2007, 11:24   #4

Town: Bristol
Make: fletcher arrowbeu
Length: 5m +
Engine: johnson 175
MMSI: 235057234
Another well thought out peace of government legislation that makes sense! NOT! i don't even wonder anymore about what kind of person brings out all these stupid laws, its clear now, a retard.
Old 13 June 2007, 11:25   #5

Town: NW& wherever the boat is!
Boat name: depends on m'mood!
Make: Humbers/15-24m cats
Engine: etec130/big volvos
MMSI: many and various
far easier to prove beyond reasonable doubt "capable of 7 knots" than actually "doing 7knots or over". If that is all it applies to it is an opportunity missed- our jet skiers and other powerboat/rib users here will still get away with drinking in the waterside pub and then causing havoc. Shame for the yotties who want a glass or two of wine whilst tied up to their mooring-but in the real world is that going to be a problem-is anyone really going to start enforcing a law in those particular circumstances. After last weekend here with what would be the neighbours from hell and their kids causing mayhem and damage on and by the water I am all for anything that can be used to curtail their anti social behaviour before they kill someone-specially if its me!
Old 13 June 2007, 11:29   #6

I am NOT in favour of banning drinking and boating - and remember I don't even drink!!!

Why should someone in say Wales or Scotland or Northumberland etc where it is pretty quiet not have a few drinks when they are boating.? Just because the Solent can resemble Piccadilly Circus doesn't mean that the rest of the country has the same problems.

It is possible to have a day out in other parts of the country and not even see another boat - the sea is a pretty big place so even if you are a bit over the limit who are you going to hurt?

Common sense needs to be applied but as usual it is sadly lacking!!!
Old 13 June 2007, 11:35   #7

Town: Far west!
Boat name: Vigilant
Make: Humber
Engine: 90hp
Quote:
I am NOT in favour of banning drinking and boating - and remember I don't even drink!!!

Why should someone in say Wales or Scotland or Northumberland etc where it is pretty quiet not have a few drinks when they are boating.? Just because the Solent can resemble Piccadilly Circus doesn't mean that the rest of the country has the same problems.
So should drink driving be allowed on isolated roads then? Wherever you are, alcohol impairs thought and that can lead to accidents...

Quote:
It is possible to have a day out in other parts of the country and not even see another boat - the sea is a pretty big place so even if you are a bit over the limit who are you going to hurt?
1 - Yourself
2 - Your family you leave behind
3 - Others who have to put themselves at risk to come to your rescue
4 - All taxpayers , a road fatal costs around 1.3 million to the economy (source - Dept of Transport)
Old 13 June 2007, 11:50   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by havener View Post
So should drink driving be allowed on isolated roads then? Wherever you are, alcohol impairs thought and that can lead to accidents...

1 - Yourself
2 - Your family you leave behind
3 - Others who have to put themselves at risk to come to your rescue
4 - All taxpayers , a road fatal costs around 1.3 million to the economy (source - Dept of Transport)
I don't think it would matter to much if someone were to have a few beers whilst crossing the Sahara!!!

If you choose to put yourself at risk then that's up to you.

The people who put themselves at risk do so out of CHOICE. I was involved with Mountain rescue once upon a time. We used to LOVE getting a callout - it's why we were there. I suspect it's the same with the RNLI.

Most of the cost of a boating accident is probably looked after by the RNLI which is a charity. Also on those grounds it means you much blame mountain bikers and climbers for wasting tax payers money. Maybe they should bring in a new law banning dangerous sports to save the tax payers money?

One final point. Obviously consuming too much booze impairs judgement etc BUT it is still quite possible for someone who has had a few drinks to STILL be a better driver/boater than someone sober who has no experience or is elderly .

Ever driven when tired? Often that can be as bad or worse than someone who has had a few drinks!!!
Old 13 June 2007, 12:00   #9

Town: NW& wherever the boat is!
Boat name: depends on m'mood!
Make: Humbers/15-24m cats
Engine: etec130/big volvos
MMSI: many and various
words fail me -for once!
Old 13 June 2007, 12:01   #10
RIBnet supporter

Town: Over there ---->
Length: 3m +
Quote:
Ever driven when tired? Often that can be as bad or worse than someone who has had a few drinks!!!
I read about a study that had shown that someone who'd been awake for ( I THINK) 18 hours showed the same levels of imparement as someone who was over the drink drive limits.

Drinking and boating's a tough one. I really DON'T want to see the government getting involved in leasure boating - at the moment its all very amicable (mostly) and it works. You know full well how it will go if the government get involved.

A start before introducing drink/driving laws to boats (that will be enforced by who exactly?!) would be mandetory training for anyone taking a craft out on the water. You're far more likely to damage yourself and others through incompetence than intoxication.