RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinyShoe View Post
The course and requirements are crazy. No child CPR, choking etc. You could be a restaurant and no need to cover it.

Required to have right ratio of staff, but not necessarily on that shift.

No risk relationship to the job. Yes anyone can have a heart attack. Risk of a compound open fracture in your average call centre must be fairly low and response time fairly fast. Risk on a quarry in the highlands will be +++ higher. But probably very little need for kids stuff.

Only people required to have kids first aid are people who look after kids.

Work in a hospital. Our department is required to have someone certified to the 3 day level for staff numbers even though we can have an entire resus team there in about 90seconds. Our risk level is relatively low.
Suggest you point them to HSE guidance, Dr's, Nurses and Paramedics are exempt from the training requirements and it's clearly possible to follow the risk assessment such that it is not needed IF your a+e dept is ok with putting plasters on paper cuts to staff!
Old 17 October 2015, 23:09   #22

Town: Dalmeny
Make: zodiac
Length: 5m +
Engine: outboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigi36 View Post
The UK guidelines have been like this for a while
When I left the UK I had recently done my pool lifeguard course and bronze medallion, back then it was 10 compressions to 2 breaths. There seems to of been a constant change ever since, which is why I suppose they can keep charging you to renew your first aid tickets every couple of years.

Jon
Old 18 October 2015, 00:05   #23
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonp View Post
... which is why I suppose they can keep charging you to renew your first aid tickets every couple of years.
First Aid is an Industry, IMO - it needs to produce new lines to keep sales up. I've been retrained in basic CPR every few years since 1990 - for SCUBA, AED use, marine industry, etc. It keeps changing - almost back to 1990 standards now!
Old 18 October 2015, 09:53   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
First Aid is an Industry, IMO - it needs to produce new lines to keep sales up.
First aid is, but the guidelines are produced by the resus council - doesn't make them any money AFAIK. They are taking and reviewing evolving evidence. Things people have been doing for years get challenged and people try something new to see if it improves outcomes etc.

Quote:
I've been retrained in basic CPR every few years since 1990 - for SCUBA, AED use, marine industry, etc. It keeps changing - almost back to 1990 standards now!
There is probably an issue of lack of cross compatibility of training. But then if the training is risk based that might be right. If you run a hotel/restaurant etc CPR training needs to concentrate lots of choking, heart attacks etc. If there is no swimming pool the risk of drowning may be small. If its a SCUBA course I guess drowning needs a bit of attention along with the Bends.

AEDs when first introduced everyone thought needed masses of training. To be honest you don't really need trained with modern ones there isn't much you can get wrong. BUT people are scared to use them if not trained...

Even if the process was still as it was in the 1990s - 5:1 (2 people) / 15:2 (1 person) feel for a pulse, recheck every minute for a pulse, breaths only for drowning unless pulse absent etc - the industry would still make you renew every 3 years. Good lord I have to renew my fire safety and information governance every year!
Old 21 October 2015, 10:22   #25

Town: London
Boat name: Quench
Make: Fairline
Length: 10m +
Engine: Volvo
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinyShoe View Post
That's gotta be a joke. If its not I hope it goes all the way to court and the judge rips her to little pieces.

Under UK law, if you are acting in an emergency, doing what is likely to be what someone would have wanted if they were able to consent but are not able to no consent is needed. #SueMe!
It was a joke, but getting harder to tell these days. Back in my youth I thought the internet would be brilliant because of all the factual information at your fingertips, no excuse for ignorance and an eventual fading of prejudice as we all interact with each other. Well that didn't happen. God bless confirmation bias.
Old 21 October 2015, 20:37   #26
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by sorabain View Post
It was a joke, but getting harder to tell these days.
Yeah: Cassidy Boon : snopes.com

Maybe it's because I find my Rage Mojo harder to access these days, but I tend not to get too worked up about what I read on the interwebs...

Avoiding thedailymail.com helps
Old 22 October 2015, 21:29   #27
SPR

Town: Central Belt of Scotland
Boat name: Puddleduck III
Make: Bombard
Length: 5m +
Engine: 50 HP
New CPR guidelines for drowning victims - get those breaths in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
Suggest you point them to HSE guidance, Dr's, Nurses and Paramedics are exempt from the training requirements and it's clearly possible to follow the risk assessment such that it is not needed IF your a+e dept is ok with putting plasters on paper cuts to staff!

Drs & nurses still need to do CPD on first aid , if they want to teach and are of NOT working in emergency response they need 3 day faw iirc

www.firstaidatsea.co.uk
www.SPRmarine.co.uk
Old 18 December 2015, 11:49   #28
Administrator

Town: Brighton
I found an interesting article about drowning and CPR today. It's mainly aimed at surfers but most of it is applicable to anyone on or in the water

http://magicseaweed.com/news/drownin...scenario/6551/