Old 29 July 2004, 18:05   #1
tue

Town: Paignton, Devon
Make: Chinook and Viking
Length: 7m +
Engine: 150 Etec + 125 Merc
New console arrived

today . Had a quick play around and after a bit of juggling with various instruments I have come up with this. The gauges will all be in a line not a pyramid like the text and I haven't decided wether to have 1 large hatch or 2. The switches will be 2 x 4 way waterproof panels.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CONSOLE.jpg
Views:	401
Size:	34.0 KB
ID:	7252  
Old 29 July 2004, 18:24   #2
ADS

Town: Dorset
Length: 4m +
Looking good, I would keep the speedo and tach central as these are the ones you are going to be looking at the most. Maybe bring the gps more central so you can keep an eye on it when navigating but keep it away from the compass.
Do you prefer your engine controls to be left handed? Mine are on the right hand side of my console which I have got used to but when I did my RYA 2 they recommended you keep one hand on the throttle all the time. I am right handed so when going into or coming out of a corner I sometimes need both hads on the wheel, does anybody else have any opinions on this? You however, may be left handed

Good luck, I have always wanted to set up a boat to my exact spec -I hope you get your 'ideal' boat at the end.
Alex
Old 29 July 2004, 19:07   #3
tue

I drive so many different types of boat it makes no real difference to me which side the controls are. I have chosen the left because it is a bit more car like (steering right gear stick left). Also I am right handed so should I have to change display on GPS or VHF controls while going I can use my right hand. I have always felt more "in control" when I have a hand on each control anyway and was told the same as you on my L2 course. Plus that boat had the control on the left and it felt more comfortable than on the right like most sports boats.
Old 29 July 2004, 19:19   #4
ADS

Quote:
Originally Posted by tue
I drive so many different types of boat it makes no real difference to me which side the controls are. I have chosen the left because it is a bit more car like (steering right gear stick left).
The controls on our sailing club Raider are on the left and I find that a bit easier and when I get on mine to drive it of a pontoon or something i am fumbling around for the controls With reference to car like controls I am only just old enough to drive and I ve only had a couple of lessons, the instructor says I go too fast round corners Next time I will try and get air rib style when I find a speed bump
Alex
Old 29 July 2004, 19:56   #5

Town: Côte d'Azur
Boat name: Beaver Patrol
Make: Avon Searider SR4
For what it's worth:

I find it easier on the right my self, being right handed....

I too have only been driving a short time (failed one test already!) and find changing gear on the instructors car (Yaris) quite diffecult with my left hand.
Old 29 July 2004, 20:07   #6
ADS

My instructors got a 1.2 clio and I find changing gear a bit difficult, I went from 4th to 3rd trying to get 5th. the engine accelerated and the rev counter flew up like a bloody optimax! It will be a while till I take my test. All my mates are buying alloys for their cars, my first mod will be a tow bar!

Good luck next time with the test.

Alex
Old 29 July 2004, 21:13   #7

Town: Salisbury
Boat name: Blue C
Make: XS 600
Length: 6m +
Engine: 125hp Opti
MMSI: 235082826/235909566
Hi Looking good, however do consider the Magnet in the VHF speaker and Mike, this will interfere with the compass!!

Brian
Old 29 July 2004, 22:54   #8

Town: Côte d'Azur
Boat name: Beaver Patrol
Make: Avon Searider SR4
Taking a test around here (Norfolk) is somewhat of a joke, in fact, there was an article in todays paper about it. The current waiting time is 17 weeks. I got away lightly with a 16 week wait for my next test. Failed the last one end of June, rebooked the next day, and my next one is on October 27th!!!!
Old 29 July 2004, 23:43   #9

Town: Chichester
Length: no boat
Safe distances on most GPS and radio units for compasses is about 1.5 metres! just thought I would mention it.

Cheers

Steve
Old 30 July 2004, 00:22   #10

Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Length: 8m +
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
Yeah The compass is gonna be suwounded by wires withe current running through them and will deviate
Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2004, 00:30   #11

Town: Carigaline/Baltimore
Boat name: XS-600
Make: XS-Ribs
Engine: Merc Optimax 150 XL
I wouldn't worry too much about the distance of electronis instruments to the compass. If you buy a good quality compass with compensators and get it "swung" (adjusted) by somebody who knows what they're doing it'll be spot on. Mine is a Plastimo Offshore and was adjusted by Barnet Marine and is about 2 degrees out with VHF on and perfect with it off. Is it just the picture or are you putting the wheel in the middle!?

I'm presuming "helm" refers to steering wheel and "control" refers to throttle.
Old 30 July 2004, 08:22   #12
tue

Quote:
Originally Posted by swginn
Is it just the picture or are you putting the wheel in the middle!?

I'm presuming "helm" refers to steering wheel and "control" refers to throttle.
Yep in the middle. A little odd for a dual console, but its primary use is as a dive RIB so have no need for an extra passenger seat, and the dual wide console gives me loads of space for all my instruments to be set out neatly where I can see them and I'm not governed by space as would be the case on a jockey console meaning things would have to placed where they fit, which is not always best for viewability. Plus it puts me on the centre line of the boat when driving for the best view when picking up divers on both sides of the boat.
Old 30 July 2004, 09:47   #13

Town: Carigaline/Baltimore
Boat name: XS-600
Make: XS-Ribs
Engine: Merc Optimax 150 XL
Makes sense I guess!! Good choice putting the compass dead central, it makes it so much easier. Looks like its gonna be a really comfortable console to use. I would definitely agree with having the trim dead centre as this will be important when the boat is fully loaded with divers. Good luck with the fit out!
Old 02 August 2004, 19:40   #14
tue

Have had a play with some templates to make absolutly sure everything is where I want it before I drill lots of big holes in my shiney new console .

I've added a stereo plus an area to lay out admiralty charts for current cruising area (this will be under a perspex hinged screen). Is it worth haveing this or should I just put the VHF and Stereo there instead?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	console2.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	7297  
Old 02 August 2004, 20:25   #15

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
Tue, looks good, only thing I can think of is to fit out the console as much as possible before it goes in the boat and check your distance from steering wheel to throttle lever so your hands can go around the wheel and miss the lever.

Pete