Old 19 November 2005, 17:39   #21

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn
Most boats with console mount throttles have them in the middle and the steering wheel on the right - hence left hand throttle.
Do they? And your point is?
Old 19 November 2005, 17:59   #22

Make: FB 55
Length: 10m +
Quote:
Most boats with console mount throttles have them in the middle and the steering wheel on the right - hence left hand throttle.
What a load of absolute twaddle!!
Old 19 November 2005, 18:18   #23

Town: Brittany/Portsmouth
Boat name: Merlin
Make: Solent 6.5
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200
MMSI: soon !
We've had the throttle on both sides (well...right side- mounted and left surface- mounted ).

I'm OK with both but generally prefer my strong hand on the throttle & near the key & kill cord.

It just looked like a nice set-up for a left-handed helmsman IMHO.

missus

(Interested in JW's and CT01's views as they know their stuff)
Old 19 November 2005, 18:37   #24

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Quote:
Originally Posted by ct01
What a load of absolute twaddle!!
Sorry I forgot - there are NO boats with such a setup - forgive me I am just barking......
Old 19 November 2005, 18:53   #25

Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
No Codders there was a glimpse of reality in your post but as usual it was made to sound as if the statement was based on expertise and not just supposition! I have a 50 kwid bet on with gArfie that you are really a Boatmad member winding us up. So come on Tony own up
Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2005, 19:18   #26
RIBnet supporter

Town: Warrington/Anglesey
Make: Menai 480SR.
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsoooooooo 70hp
Steady on you guys!!

Missus: I am right handed and chose the left hand side for the controls after mocking up both sides. I just found the left hand mounting option slightly more comfortable. After reading the many RIBnet postings on this very subject I concluded that there is no right or wrong way?
Ultimately the decision is yours!!

Bob.
yoyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2005, 19:20   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Wave
No Codders there was a glimpse of reality in your post but as usual it was made to sound as if the statement was based on expertise and not just supposition! I have a 50 kwid bet on with gArfie that you are really a Boatmad member winding us up. So come on Tony own up
Not based on expertise but personal preference. I am very right hand biased - can't do bugger all with my left hand with any accuracy!!!

The majority of people in the UK drive in cars with the steering on the right and the gear stick on the left.

Also most of the boats I have seen with centre consoles tend to have the steering wheel on the right and the throttle on the left.

I wasn't trying to be antagonistic in my post but some people's replies have been!!!
Old 19 November 2005, 23:46   #28

Town: Brittany/Portsmouth
Boat name: Merlin
Make: Solent 6.5
Engine: 200
MMSI: soon !
Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyo
Steady on you guys!!

Missus: I am right handed and chose the left hand side for the controls after mocking up both sides. I just found the left hand mounting option slightly more comfortable.
Cool Bob.

I was just wondering (codders don't get upset BM member or not I thought it was MM Stuart ).

Some peeps prefer the strong hand on the throttle, some on the steering ; no right or wrong as you say.

Just wondering which side peeps favour & why.

missus
Old 20 November 2005, 07:28   #29

Quote:
Sorry I forgot - there are NO boats with such a setup - forgive me I am just barking......
Re-read your post! A statement of fact that most boats have centre mounted throttle is the load of twaddle - you are a master at making unbelievable statements and then when challenged conveniently change what you previously said - you are probably correct though with your description of yourself.
Old 20 November 2005, 07:28   #30

Old 20 November 2005, 08:34   #31

Town: Fareham
Got mine on the right, only because the dam thing's so stiff I couldn't move it with my left.

Looks Slow but is Fast
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 November 2005, 09:21   #32
RIBnet supporter

Town: Warrington/Anglesey
Make: Menai 480SR.
Engine: Tohatsoooooooo 70hp
As this is my first console fit-out, I have one nagging Question,

Even though the console has a completely glassed in base I presume there could be some water ingress during washing down or even god forbid a capsize etc.

Is it a good idea to drill a couple of drain holes in the back of the console at deck level or even fit one of those small self drainers?

Your thoughts as usual are welcome.
Attached Images

yoyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 November 2005, 09:44   #33

Town: Fareham
I have a cheaper option than drain plugs. I would drill a couple of holes though the deck inside of the console to allow any water to gather in the bilge where your pump can drain it.

Doesn't the control gear go though the deck? Wouldn't it just drain though there?

Looks Slow but is Fast
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 November 2005, 10:57   #34

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hightower
I have a cheaper option than drain plugs. I would drill a couple of holes though the deck ...
Old 20 November 2005, 11:57   #35

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyo
Is it a good idea to drill a couple of drain holes in the back of the console at deck level or even fit one of those small self drainers? Your thoughts as usual are welcome.
Yes good idea especially if you can block them up with a bung. One thought, were are your fuel tanks ? inside the console ? so petrol vapour is heavier than air so it will sink down into the console perhaps / so how are you going to get it out, or just wait until you turn the battery master switch on one day ? so some low down bungs left out during storage could be a good idea.

Pete
Old 20 November 2005, 12:58   #36

Quote:
Re-read your post! A statement of fact that most boats have centre mounted throttle is the load of twaddle - you are a master at making unbelievable statements and then when challenged conveniently change what you previously said - you are probably correct though with your description of yourself.
"Most boats with console mount throttles have them in the middle and the steering wheel on the right - hence left hand throttle."

Is EXACTLY what I said - notice the words - "with console mount" - I did NOT say most boats HAVE a console mounted throttle!!! Of course it's not going to be the case with Yank boats but as most people in the UK have cars with the steering wheel on the right they tend to have boats the same.

It was NOT meant as an inflammatory post so what the hell are you getting so worked up for???
Old 20 November 2005, 13:22   #37
ADS

Town: Dorset
Quote:
"Most boats with console mount throttles have them in the middle and the steering wheel on the right - hence left hand throttle."

Is EXACTLY what I said - notice the words - "with console mount" - I did NOT say most boats HAVE a console mounted throttle!!! Of course it's not going to be the case with Yank boats but as most people in the UK have cars with the steering wheel on the right they tend to have boats the same.

It was NOT meant as an inflammatory post so what the hell are you getting so worked up for???

From what I can see, on most small applications the throttle is fitted on either side of the console -its entirely personal choice which side you have it.

With Hydraulic steering, it does not matter which hand you have on the wheel, and often in rough weather as JW put, you often need more control over the throttle than the steering.
On larger applications dash mounted throttles are often fitted to the drivers left. I always thought the main purpose of these was to offer more control, but also to move the throttle from the side of the console where it could be knocked by a passenger, potentially dangerous with 200HP.
However on smaller boats with over 90HP without hydraulic steering, i have found the steering to be a handful if not no-feedback type, in this case I was glad it waas my right hand on the wheel.

All IMHO!!!

Alex

Alex
Old 20 November 2005, 15:36   #38

Quote:
I'm not getting worked up, just getting totally exhausted by someone who has been into ribs for five and a half minutes and regurgitates drivel more often than not! Take delivery of your Pro-sport, spend a couple of years actually being out on the water instead of cyber-land and then possibly impart your 'wealth' of knowledge - IMHO

Happy Ribbing now!
Old 20 November 2005, 15:44   #39

Town: Principalite d'Chaos
Boat name: The Nashers Revenge!
Make: Windsor Brothers
Engine: Optimax 225
MMSI: "Mmmmm SI" she said!
I have a double width console with side by side jockey seats, and changed from a side mounted lever to the right of the helm to a top mounted lever in the middle of the console.

Partly because I find it more comfortable to have my Right hand on the wheel and Left hand on the lever, and partly because I let my kids drive a lot and sometimes friends that are not experianced with boats. The centre mounted lever allows me to sit on the passenger jockey, yet still have access to the lever instantly if required to help out.

I think all consoles should have a one way drain, as rain water if nothing else will always find its way in.
I've also lined mine with thick open pattern rubber doormats, cut to shape and glued into one large mat. This allows a small amount of water to get in and stay under the matting whist your gear is raised above the floor level by 1/2 an inch.

Nasher
Old 20 November 2005, 16:44   #40

Quote:
I'm not getting worked up, just getting totally exhausted by someone who has been into ribs for five and a half minutes and regurgitates drivel more often than not! Take delivery of your Pro-sport, spend a couple of years actually being out on the water instead of cyber-land and then possibly impart your 'wealth' of knowledge - IMHO

Happy Ribbing now!

Drivel? It is NOT my fault you can't READ properly!!! You accuse me of things i didn't even say!!!

Just because I have never had a RIB before does NOT mean I have no experience of boats or the sea!!!