Old 25 September 2010, 05:00   #1

Make: Linder
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50
New 8.5 rib - engine choice

Good morning all ... my first post on this forum. I'm planning to order a new rib, between 8 and 9 m, for west country cruising and just having fun. Regarding engine setup, what do you think my litres/miles would be for twin 250hp? Is there anything equivalent in term of power using diesel fuel?
The usage will be purely private, maybe 50 hours per year. so do you think petrol O/B will be more cost effective over few years (taking into account purchase cost, maintenance and fuel use)? If O/B, E-Tec or 4 stroke?
Also, can diesel ribs be easily beached? I'm thinking about the drive protection.

Thanks in advance.

Old 25 September 2010, 05:36   #2

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 60hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Give it 5 mins...

Welcome to the forum by the way.

Old 25 September 2010, 05:41   #3
RIBnet supporter

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
2x250 E-TECs with Icon controls, excellent power:weight, great fuel economy, quiet, low oil consumption & no smell/smoke when set to XD100, 300 hours/3 years to first service & the sheer low down grunt of 2 stroke, you'd struggle to match that with a 4 st & no chance with diesel
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4: See rule#5
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2010, 08:13   #4

Town: Douglas
Length: no boat
Welcome, I am sure you will get lots of advice !!! For my "pennie's worth" I would stick to petrol outboard(s) 2 or 4 stroke as you choose. I consider that diesel installations are less appropriate when your annual usage is low (circa 50hrs) as you will not amortise the considerable additional initial cost.
Moreover, most inboard engine legs will not lift clear of the keel line making them unsuitable for beaching. The main disadvantages of petrol outboards are the poor availability of fuel afloat and the greater fuel burn. The choice is yours, god luck and enjoy your ribbing.
Old 25 September 2010, 11:36   #5
RIBnet supporter

Town: Hamble Point
Boat name: Red Eye
Make: Ribeye 785 Sport
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yamaha 300HP BETX
MMSI: 235082425/235905837
If you are looking for an outboard/s, look no further than the new V6 Yamahas. I have the new 300HP BETX on the back of my RIB, with a 19" Saltwater S/S propellor and it just flies. The new Yamahas work well as pairs too. Lighter than their older equivalent and in some cases the same price. The engine sound is superb, performance brilliant, and first class fuel economy. Give Yamaha a call and don't discount them. These new engines are the best for price and power to weight ratio. Best of luck. Let us know what you choose. Regards. Welcome to Ribnet!
www.rribs.co.uk
RRIBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2010, 15:32   #6
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: 2 stroke YAM 20 HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRIBS View Post
Give Yamaha a call and don't discount them. These new engines are the best for price and power to weight ratio.
Ehm, actually the equivalent sized etec is about 15 kg lighter per engine (and in the right shaft size etc could be over 20 kg lighter). I also thought the Etec's were cheaper (list price) than Yamahas but I don't have price list or know who offers the biggest "discount".

And that CaptainGb is the problem with advice on which engine threads - most people have an opinion - but its unlikely that many have actually tried all of the competition on your particular type of boat and even less likely that they've lived with it.

In terms of fuel ecconomy with twin 250s I suspect this will have a lot to do with how much self control you have with the throttle. At full throttle I'd expect them to be burning something like 150 L/hr . However when cruising at "sensible speeds" most people here seem to claim something like 1 L/nautical mile (almost regardless of boat/engine) +/- 20%.

For 50 hours a year, then almost certainly petrol ob's work out more affordable than diesel inboards - and the only obvious reason for speccing diesel in a new lightly used leisure boat then becomes availability of dockside fuel.
Old 25 September 2010, 16:59   #7

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: stramash
Make: Tornado
Engine: Etec 90
Single OB too for those hours.... Verado 350 sci .. my biggest was the 275 .. so dont have the data for the 350 ... but with the DT&S boy did I like that engine .... it really hums like a peach .. now my english teacher would have put me in detention for that phrase ( have I given my age away ? )
Old 25 September 2010, 17:03   #8
RIBnet admin team

Make: Redbay Boats
Length: 9m +
Engine: 370hp
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmuz7 View Post
now my english teacher
They taught you English?
Old 25 September 2010, 17:15   #9

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: stramash
Make: Tornado
Engine: Etec 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
They taught you English?
Fae an Irishman talkin too a SCOTSman .. the answer ofcourse is no! but lets not let that piffeling quibble get in the way of a thread .. those morris dancers can fight it out amongst themselves

And someone had to be able to tell me how to communicate with them
Old 25 September 2010, 17:18   #10

Town: Jersey
Boat name: Archangel
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 6m +
Engine: ETec 225
MMSI: 235063789
With a boat that size you have to be prepared for big fuel bills. Someone I know recently bought a Scorpion 8m+ with a single 300hp Verado that burns in excess of 2 litres per mile at fast cruise. My boat (6.8m / 225 ETec) burns 1.5 litres per mile at 35-40kts. I don't know too much about diesels except they weigh a tonne and rust up quick, and the smell of diesel makes me sick.