Old 26 September 2010, 10:37   #21

Town: Guernsey
Boat name: Monkey Nutz
Make: Cougar R8 Sport
Length: 8m +
Engine: 350Sci Verado
Interesting thread..
I have an 8.4m with the Verado 350 Sci.
It a fantastic combo, and you only really need the one engine.
The 300 Verado was excellent to but not quite as punchy.
As for running costs..40 knots/4000 revs/60-80ltr per hour, not to bad really.
Lovely engine very quiet at low revs with a nice roar at top end..
Old 26 September 2010, 10:57   #22

Make: Linder
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post

So unless you've got money burning a hole in your pocket, a desire to pay more for fuel, pay more to store it, a bigger status symbol, etc... then I'd suggest you try some of the shorter boats - you might be pleasantly surprised.

EDIT: Oh, and I'm not sure I'd be wanting to beach an 8.5m, £60000+ rib regularly either
Thanks Polwart, nothing that sinister with my choice (not set in stone). This 8.5m has the advantage of a small cabin in the console. I was not able to find anything smaller with a similar console.

Regarding beaching, are you saying that larger ribs cannot be beached safely?
Old 26 September 2010, 11:14   #23

Town: N Wales Chester
Boat name: Mr Smith
Make: Humber
Length: 6m +
Polwarts comments:

I'd agree, if its 50hrs use a year, (unless money really isnt a problem) paying that much more for both the boat, engine and then the running costs just for a little loo or miniscule cuddy, seems a massive expense. A bit of planning and pitstops in pubs etc in the area can negate it easily.

Having had our 6.5m, with a deep v, after having a 5.4m, it really can handle more than i'd imagine most average skippers would dare to handle in anyway. I wanted to go out in seas that the 5.4 struggled in, but the seas that the 6.5 won't handle, I don't fancy going out, and that's suited and booted with goggles etc. Plus your pushing what's safe unless you are pretty skilled. Those that do have the experience to skip in those conditions probably wouldn't want to travel far in it anyway and it would be time to head home.

As a few have said, over 6.5, unless you a) have need to travel, living on islands in jersey/geurnsey, scotland isles etc or b) use a boat for work, or c)carry over 6 people every time you go out it seems a large expense for what gain?

A fully kitted out 6.5 of a high quality brand with a maximum hp, will probably do 55knots plus. Unless racing, the extra is for what? Posing?
Old 26 September 2010, 11:22   #24
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainGb View Post
Thanks Polwart, nothing that sinister with my choice (not set in stone). This 8.5m has the advantage of a small cabin in the console. I was not able to find anything smaller with a similar console.
Ah OK I hadn't realised RC offered a cabin version - that makes sense. I'm not sure exactly what you're looking for with a cabin but Shearwater do a very "discrete" cabin console that still looks like a traditional rib. I think Parker (Andre on here) do something similar. And then a few people, e.g. Scorpion, Excalibur, Redbay will do you a cabin that occupies everything forward of the console. Zar might be another option, but the aesthetics are bit different from a traditional rib. I've probably missed a few, and some of the more niche manufacturers could easily create something for you - e.g. I think someone one here has an Ocean(?) console which is big enough to fit inside, and could be part of a cabin.

Quote:
I don't think it is "unsafe" but I think it could become expensive quite easily. Its one thing running a two grand searider up a beach which you can probably drag back to the water if you need to leave before the tide is back in, and a few scratches add to the "authenticity" of the rugged boat. I don't know your local area so maybe there are perfect beaches for doing this? But I think Mollers anchors off and swims/tenders ashore when on his "big" boat?
Old 26 September 2010, 11:23   #25

Interesting set of reply. However, I would not have thought that a small console with a loo could be chosen to satisfy some "posing ambitions" ....
Old 26 September 2010, 11:24   #26

Town: Boat Lake Geneva
Boat name: Lark
Make: Capelli Cap 32 WA
Length: 10m +
Engine: Yamaha 250x2
MMSI: 235096621
There seems to be a huge focus on expense in this thread. If the chap has the funds, a twin engined or large single engine set up it is ideal even if its only used 50 hrs per year.

There's no point in buying an MX5 if you can afford a Ferrari.
Old 26 September 2010, 11:30   #27

Quote:
Ah OK I hadn't realised RC offered a cabin version - that makes sense. I'm not sure exactly what you're looking for with a cabin but Shearwater do a very "discrete" cabin console that still looks like a traditional rib. I think Parker (Andre on here) do something similar. And then a few people, e.g. Scorpion, Excalibur, Redbay will do you a cabin that occupies everything forward of the console. Zar might be another option, but the aesthetics are bit different from a traditional rib. I've probably missed a few, and some of the more niche manufacturers could easily create something for you - e.g. I think someone one here has an Ocean(?) console which is big enough to fit inside, and could be part of a cabin.
Thanks, I do not really like the type of cabin occupying everything forward of the console so looking for something smaller and more discrete as it is really just to house a marine toilet and conveniently store some kit.
Old 26 September 2010, 11:33   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardjawilson View Post
There seems to be a huge focus on expense in this thread. If the chap has the funds, a twin engined or large single engine set up it is ideal even if its only used 50 hrs per year.

Hahhh .... I'm relieved .... I started to wonder if the labour conference delegates were posting during their tea break ....
Old 26 September 2010, 13:12   #29
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Hahhh .... I'm relieved .... I started to wonder if the labour conference delegates were posting during their tea break ....
You were the one who brought up "ecconomy" in the opening post and wondering if you'd make a saving on diesel...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainGb
Thanks, I do not really like the type of cabin occupying everything forward of the console so looking for something smaller and more discrete as it is really just to house a marine toilet and conveniently store some kit.
Unlike Paul, I can totally see the attraction of a small cabin regardless of where you use the boat, and certainly see that with ladies (and I use the term loosely!) on board that its easier to keep them happy if you have toilet facilities, and so maximise your enjoyment of the boat! Having recently acquired a young family I reckon Paul will be looking for some sort of shelter in the next 5 years, as he discovers kids don't like rain/spray as much as him!

Well I'd certainly be trying to arrange a look at a Shearwater (http://www.shearwaterribs.com/conten...ifications.php) which strikes me as very similar to the RC850 sport cruiser (although from a much smaller brand than ribcraft - which may or may not be a good thing).
Old 26 September 2010, 13:28   #30
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
and certainly see that with ladies (and I use the term loosely!) on board that its easier to keep them happy if you have toilet facilities
I have a theory about that

I think that ladies only need to know that the toilet is available if they need it and thereafter don't bother with it.

I'm convinced that there is a market for console hatch stickers that say "Hygienically Suspect Wobbly Toilet inside" - save us all a fortune
Old 26 September 2010, 17:47   #31

Town: Boat Lake Geneva
Boat name: Lark
Make: Capelli Cap 32 WA
Length: 10m +
Engine: Yamaha 250x2
MMSI: 235096621
I think that ladies only need to know that the toilet is available if they need it and thereafter don't bother with it.

I think you are spot on with that comment.
Old 26 September 2010, 19:03   #32

Town: N Wales Chester
Boat name: Mr Smith
Make: Humber
Length: 6m +

I've never heard a prospective ferrari owner considering fuel economy as in the opening post where he alludes to the economical benefits of diesel. I think you'd be ignored by a ferrari salesman if you did.

As a result, the posts drew from this that money was not unlimited and that costs needed to be factored in to a degree. Hence suggestions that the extra money required going from 6.5 to 8.5 should be considered against the actual need for the length and size of boat ie useage/serious weather capability etc

Polwart: I can see the benefit of a cuddy or shelter to some degree for wind protection and spray etc. Though i don't personally see the need for a bigger boat to provide console storage and loo though!

If money isn't an object, my favourite is Goldfish for the south coast and Protector for North coast.
Old 26 September 2010, 19:21   #33

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: stramash
Make: Tornado
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by HUMBER P4VWL View Post
my favourite is Goldfish
Excellent choice .. send mine up to Largs with a driver please ..

.. fek theres no where to put me gin and tonic ?
Old 26 September 2010, 20:02   #34

Town: jersey
Boat name: Martini II
Make: Arctic 28/FC470
Length: 8m +
Engine: twin 225Opti/50hp 2t
MMSI: 235067688
Quote:

Are we talking about letting a rib dry out on a beach or ramming it James Bond style up the beach at 50 knots?

The former is fine, always worth having a look around to make sure there's no sharp bit's of rock sticking up etc.

The latter is not advisable
Old 26 September 2010, 20:36   #35

Nothing risky, just drying out on sandy beaches in calm weather.
Old 27 September 2010, 16:57   #36
Administrator

Town: Brighton
For an all round cruising RIB you really don't need masses of power. An 8m-ish boat with 250-300hp will easily perform well enough to put a grin on most people's face.

I've cruised fairly extensively in a 7.5m RIB with a 165hp diesel. The only time it felt under powered was in a flat calm, and it rarely needed to be driven on the stops. Most people wouldn't even consider an engine this small though, and it did affect the resale value.

For the sort of use you have mentioned I would go for a single diesel. At around 300hp you'd have an excellent all rounder, and it wouldn't be underpowered at all. The availability of fuel on the quayside everywhere will really open up your horizons.

If you want something faster that's fine, but it's unlikely to be a better cruising boat.

I wouldn't be particularly keen to dry the boat out, but done carefully you're unlikely to do much damage.
Old 28 September 2010, 09:29   #37

Thanks John, this is interesting. The fuel availability is certainly something to take into account.
How would you rate the resale between twin petrol O/B, diesel/drive and diesel/jet?

I'm still interested by easy beaching so diesel/drive could well be an issue.
Old 28 September 2010, 20:08   #38

Town: Douglas
Length: no boat
For what it's worth, the Mercruiser Bravo1x Leg on an Arctic Blue 27 lifts just clear of the keel line so is OK for grounding. The boat is fitted with a 320 hp diesel engine, so plenty of speed (circa 45kts).
Old 28 September 2010, 20:52   #39
RIBnet supporter

Town: Dinard, Brittany
Boat name: Into the Red
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 7m +
Engine: Evinrude E-tec 250HO
MMSI: 235 076 114
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypman View Post
For what it's worth, the Mercruiser Bravo1x Leg on an Arctic Blue 27 lifts just clear of the keel line so is OK for grounding. The boat is fitted with a 320 hp diesel engine, so plenty of speed (circa 45kts).
Well maybe, but who in their right mind would go for that engine in over THAT other one they fit to that boat...
Old 29 September 2010, 08:27   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypman View Post
Thanks, this is quite interesting as I was under the impression that drive legs wouln't clear the keel line.