Old 29 September 2010, 08:56   #41

Town: Douglas
Length: no boat
The Arctic Blue I referred to is a Mk I (2005-6) version. You would need to check with the Importers (Clearwater Oceancraft) to confirm details on their newer boats. However, on the Mk I boat the leading edge of the leg lifts to just above the keel line. Indeed, the previous owner must have grounded the boat on a number of occasions as there are tell-tale abrasions on the unit.
Old 29 September 2010, 12:26   #42
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainGb View Post
Thanks John, this is interesting. The fuel availability is certainly something to take into account.
It would be a deal breaker for me. Other people seem to be happy lugging jerrycans or restricting their cruising area though.
Quote:
How would you rate the resale between twin petrol O/B, diesel/drive and diesel/jet?
My guess is that a diesel/outdrive RIB would have the biggest resale potential, followed by the twin outboards, then the jet drive which is quite a niche item.
Quote:
I'm still interested by easy beaching so diesel/drive could well be an issue.
I don't know, but my guess is that you may not actually end up drying the boat out on beach as often as you think you will. If you really do expect to beach the boat a lot though, then you may decide that a jet is the best compromise for you.

With an outdrive, as others have said, you'll need to check with individual manufacturers to see whether the leg will lift up high enough to clear the ground. On the other hand, I'm not sure whether it would really be a major problem if the skeg ends up digging a hole a couple of inches into the sand as the tide drops - you're going to scratch the gellcoat on the hull anyway!
Old 30 September 2010, 08:13   #43

Town: Salcombe, Devon, UK
Boat name: BananaShark
Make: BananaShark
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2xYanmar 260 diesels
Our 10 metre boat is going to be too big and expensive I think, and we haven't got as far as the RIB version (yet), but the BY260 Yanmars we are using are extremely frugal at 108 litres per hour for 2 X 260hp or 54 litres per hour for one! In the race version if we hit 70mph, it will be using just over 1.5 litres per mile flat out - with such low hours it may take a while to pay it back, but as John says it will improve the resale value and be easier to fill up. We are expecting consumption at cruising speeds of under 1 litre per mile!
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2010, 12:15   #44

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
Well I'd certainly be trying to arrange a look at a Shearwater (http://www.shearwaterribs.com/conten...ifications.php) which strikes me as very similar to the RC850 sport cruiser (although from a much smaller brand than ribcraft - which may or may not be a good thing).
My 750 Shearwater is for sale at the mo!

Pete
Old 30 September 2010, 23:39   #45

Town: jersey
Boat name: Martini II
Make: Arctic 28/FC470
Length: 8m +
Engine: twin 225Opti/50hp 2t
MMSI: 235067688
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainGb View Post
Thanks, this is quite interesting as I was under the impression that drive legs wouln't clear the keel line.
I don't recall coming across one that wouldn't tbh.
Old 01 October 2010, 08:43   #46
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
On my Ribtec/Yamaha the skeg was below the keel line when fully tilted. Not by much though.