Old 08 June 2007, 07:21   #1

Town: Truro-Cornwall & Brazil
Boat name: Bananas in Blue
Make: Humber Destroyer 5.5
Length: 5m +
Engine: E-Tec 115
New 5m Rib...Any suggestions/experience??

Have decided I'm going to get a new Rib as soon as i've sold my fishing boat and saved up the necessary additional cash....
I want a rib with good handling for skiing etc, good sea keeping qualities and high speed cruising ability without working the engine too hard.
My current thoughts are towards a 5m humber destroyer fitted with a 90Hp motor, either a Tohatsu TLDI or an Etec (Opti ruled out on weight grounds).

Any advice/reccomendations experiences warmly welcomed.....
Old 08 June 2007, 10:07   #2

Town: Mudeford
Make: Humber Ocean Pro 5.3
Engine: 90ho Tohatsu
Humber

New or second hand ?

I have a Humber Ocean Pro 5.3 with a tohatsu 90 TLDI. I think this combination offers really good value for money. Fast (40knts and i still need to get a different prop so should get a couple more knts out of it), handles well in the rough stuff, easy to trailor. However, it's more of a work boat, but that is what i was after at the time (loads of deck space, easy to clean etc). Depends on what you would like to use it for and your budget.

I'm my view i don't think you get a cheaper boat at around 5m than the Humber + tohatsu that is good in the rough stuff. The tohatsu is also a very good engine. You can also buy direct from humber for a discount.

However, if i had the money i would prob buy a ribcraft, but they are a lot more expensive, but you do get what you pay for as they are very good boats.

any help?
Old 08 June 2007, 12:04   #3

Town: Salcombe, Devon, UK
Boat name: BananaShark
Make: BananaShark
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2xYanmar 260 diesels
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markyboyo View Post
Have decided I'm going to get a new Rib as soon as i've sold my fishing boat and saved up the necessary additional cash....
I want a rib with good handling for skiing etc, good sea keeping qualities and high speed cruising ability without working the engine too hard.
My current thoughts are towards a 5m humber destroyer fitted with a 90Hp motor, either a Tohatsu TLDI or an Etec (Opti ruled out on weight grounds).

Any advice/reccomendations experiences warmly welcomed.....
As a manufacturer I'll let others tell you what they think about our boats, but our 6m is available in shorter lengths down to 5 metres - we make boats to order but at reasonable prices - if you're not too far away we're about 30+ minutes the other side of Plymouth, so come and see us!
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 June 2007, 12:23   #4

Town: Fareham
Length: 6m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookee View Post
As a manufacturer I'll let others tell you what they think about our boats, but our 6m is available in shorter lengths down to 5 metres - we make boats to order but at reasonable prices - if you're not too far away we're about 30+ minutes the other side of Plymouth, so come and see us!
Cookee I've been trying to reach you by PM or Email for days, can you empty your inbox a little

Thanks

Looks Slow but is Fast
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 June 2007, 12:33   #5

I replied to your email!
Here is the answer in case it didn't come through ...........

Hi Andy,

Sorry I was stuffing my face - I did see you wondering around, but likewise never got to say hi - next time feel free to interrupt me!

What you'll need is the indicator style switches - we use them on the race boat, and you can alter the trim without taking your hands off the steering wheel. They are available from Hypro marine and the retail is £66.76 + VAT, but worth it - they fit onto the hub behind the wheel and don't move with the wheel - altogether much better and more reliable than the switches on the steering wheel.

Hope that helps - give me a call if you have any problems getting hold of one and I'll get it for you,

Cookee
Old 08 June 2007, 13:47   #6

Town: Fareham
Length: 6m +
Thanks Cookee Looks like a neat solution.

As for RIB purchase, I guess most 5-5.5m RIBs will have a fairly good performance with a 90.

Don't know much about Humbers, but Ribcrafts are good. I think there are many manufacturers out there making a good product in this size range. Have you considered a Searider 5.4?

Looks Slow but is Fast
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 June 2007, 16:50   #7

Town: Wilmslow
Boat name: Serotonin
Make: Quicksilver
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mariner 15
Check out Jono Garton he'll sort you out a good deal on a Humber
Old 08 June 2007, 19:07   #8
J S

Town: N.Wales/Southampton
Make: Zodiac
Length: 3m +
Engine: Honda 15hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by fred bolton View Post
Check out Jono Garton he'll sort you out a good deal on a Humber

Seconded. The 5.5 Destroyer he does is one of the best ribs i have driven. Jono does them with a 90 opti and they go very well.

James
Old 08 June 2007, 19:28   #9

Town: Bristol
Make: Humber Destroyer
Engine: Yamaha 70
MMSI: 235057234
Marky, i have owned quite a few different types of ribs and boats, i.e

5 meter tornado
4.7 avon
4.8 ribcraft
5 m zodiac
17 dauntless boston

and none of them even come close to the excellent sea keeping of a 5.25 osprey viper, these boats handle choppy seas like much bigger boats and better in some cases. The 5.25 viper i believe has the widest beam than any other boat in its class (2.5 m) and when in a following sea it keeps you as stable as you like, not to mention the excellent deep vee to power through a head sea. I love ribcrafts boats but there no better than osprey for seakeeping
Old 09 June 2007, 03:06   #10

Thanks for all the super quick responses folks!
Unless I come across something secondhand that fits the bill perfectly I think I will definately be looking to buy new.
The Humber destroyer/ocean pro certainly look like some of the best value boats around and while I would love a ribcraft it may be stretching finances a bit too far. The 5m XS looks like a nice good value boat but I'm not at all sure about the hull design/handling characteristics, the tubes look very close to the water when underway at speed.

I'm also considering a 5m ocean pro with the 2m beam as it will be easier to store (hopefully in the garage!), Psychopic, is yours a 2m or 2.3 beam?
Keeping the all up weight to less than 750kg for towing would also be good and hopefully possible for a 5m boat.

I've used an avon sr4.7 (60hp) and a 5.4(75hp) alot in the past, the 4.7 was great fun but a little too small and the 5.4 a touch to heavy/large for what I want.

I have a 2005 Hatsu 50 (not tldi) at the mo and do have a soft spot for them, have seen new TLDI 90's for under the 5k mark too. The Etec 90 does look the buisness tho but is a fair bit dearer(really wish tohatsu would revise the 90's cowl along the lines of the 115 tldi!), Anyone here have experience of both? Guess the e-tec may be better on fuel and more refined????

Cookie...I'll pm you and may be you could mail me some details?? Prob be spending a night or 2 in plymouth when I've got leave so i'll try to pop up!
Old 09 June 2007, 03:10   #11

The Osprey is definately a great handling boat, the beam would be nice to have on the water but i'm really limited to about 2.3m for storage
Old 12 June 2007, 16:00   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markyboyo View Post

Cookie...I'll pm you and may be you could mail me some details?? Prob be spending a night or 2 in plymouth when I've got leave so i'll try to pop up!
email me at cookee@bananasharkracing.com or call 01548 856078 - you'll be welcome any time!