Old 13 January 2007, 19:27   #21

Town: aberdovey, n wales
Length: no boat
aircraft

Thanks endeavour

The aircrafts do look very nice but £14000 may be slightly out of my price range, the one in the picture looks like quite a shallow hull, how do they handle rough seas.

I'll try and get some prices from llyn marine on etecs as an etec 60 would be my ideal choice but they may not be worth the extra on a carbed two stroke or even a four stroke.

Thanks

Andy
Old 13 January 2007, 21:11   #22
DM
RIBnet supporter

Boat name: Little Wing
Make: Searider 5.4
Length: 5m +
Engine: Tohatsu 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by GED View Post
You may want to take a look at Liverpool Power Boats.

Yep, Ian's a man to deal with.

DM
Old 13 January 2007, 23:33   #23
GED

Town: CONWY/CORFU
Boat name: The Full Morty II
Make: Air Craft/Shakespere
Length: 8m +
Engine: Etec 300hp/Etec150hp
5mt aircraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy d View Post
Thanks endeavour

The aircrafts do look very nice but £14000 may be slightly out of my price range, the one in the picture looks like quite a shallow hull, how do they handle rough seas.

I'll try and get some prices from llyn marine on etecs as an etec 60 would be my ideal choice but they may not be worth the extra on a carbed two stroke or even a four stroke.

Thanks

Andy
Andy I had on of these air craft for 2 years using it commercially in my job
they handle great.... I think the cost of the one without the console is about
£4750 inc vat .... pm me if you would like a demo
Old 14 January 2007, 07:18   #24

Town: Pwllheli-North Wales
Boat name: V-ONE
Make: Highfield
Engine: Honda 250hp
Quote:
I think the cost of the one without the console is about
£4750 inc vat
Wow sailing club certainly got ripped off at £14k, seems a good price at £4750.

Endeavour whats the situation with the RCD if not supplying/fitting a console? A big fuss down here with a console coming out of a ribeye and the kid getting run over by the rib (no kill coard on).

Jono
Old 14 January 2007, 08:22   #25
RIBnet supporter

Town: Warrington/Anglesey
Make: Menai 480SR.
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsoooooooo 70hp
Hi Andy,

I am sure that other ribsters here have their views on PVC tubes. All that I can say is that all three ribs that I have owned have been PVC and upto date I have had no problems. I belive that Menai import their tooobs from South Africa. Here is what they have to say about the subject on their construction page! http://www.menaimarine.biz/boat%20construction.htm The menai tooobs appear to be more substantial to other PVC tooobs that I have seen?

Engine: Look at the Tohatsooooos 2 stroke carb models as an option, but hurry before stocks run out as they are no longer allowed to be imported due to the new EU eco regs.

I am also in cheshire, so your more than welcome to call over and have a good look at the rib.
yoyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2007, 16:49   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyo View Post
Hi Andy,

I am sure that other ribsters here have their views on PVC tubes. All that I can say is that all three ribs that I have owned have been PVC and upto date I have had no problems. I belive that Menai import their tooobs from South Africa. Here is what they have to say about the subject on their construction page! http://www.menaimarine.biz/boat%20construction.htm The menai tooobs appear to be more substantial to other PVC tooobs that I have seen?

Engine: Look at the Tohatsooooos 2 stroke carb models as an option, but hurry before stocks run out as they are no longer allowed to be imported due to the new EU eco regs.

I am also in cheshire, so your more than welcome to call over and have a good look at the rib.
I can't really see why they would use PVC tubes if they thought that hypalon would be much better, is there a huge price difference or some other massive advantage that I am unaware of.

Don't want to sound stupid but what is the actual current situation with two stroke outboards, are there particular ones that are still legal to produce. I would of thought that a ban coming in would have been on the sale of two strokes rather than the manufacture as that would be easier to police.

Do you think that two strokes will be more difficult or more expensive to get hold of later this year or is there still scope for normal sale for a while.

Also does anybody have experience of aircraft's performance in rough seas as the hull on the picture above looks very shallow to me.

Thanks

Andy
Old 14 January 2007, 17:00   #27
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
I can't really see why they would use PVC tubes if they thought that hypalon would be much better, is there a huge price difference or some other massive advantage that I am unaware of.

Don't want to sound stupid but what is the actual current situation with two stroke outboards, are there particular ones that are still legal to produce. I would of thought that a ban coming in would have been on the sale of two strokes rather than the manufacture as that would be easier to police.

Do you think that two strokes will be more difficult or more expensive to get hold of later this year or is there still scope for normal sale for a while.

Also does anybody have experience of aircraft's performance in rough seas as the hull on the picture above looks very shallow to me.

Thanks

Andy
PVC significantly cheaper than hypalon. Generally accepted to have a shorter working life - but storing it indoors or undercover will help.

The ban prevents the import of engines not meeting certain emissions requirements. Essentially this prevents the import into the EU of all traditional 2-stroke engines with carbs. New technology "direct injection" 2-strokes such as the E-tecs are unaffected. Also only affects NEW engines not second hand.

By banning import - you let vendors sell existing stock off. Also with only a small number of o/board producers it is probably easier to monitor their imports than what the many retailers are up to.
Old 14 January 2007, 18:27   #28

Thanks Polwart

Do you think that this will affect the availability or supply of outboards any time soon or will it be a while before we see the effects.

Are all four strokes exempt from the new laws, if they are do you think that they will start to get cheaper as more will be being produced.

Andy
Old 14 January 2007, 20:49   #29
RIBnet supporter

Town: Warrington/Anglesey
Make: Menai 480SR.
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsoooooooo 70hp
Quote:
Thanks Polwart

Do you think that this will affect the availability or supply of outboards any time soon or will it be a while before we see the effects.

Are all four strokes exempt from the new laws, if they are do you think that they will start to get cheaper as more will be being produced.

Andy
Andy.

I know that the last few months leading up to the 31st Dec 06, the Tohatsu importers down South in Lymington were trying to get as many carbed 2 strokes of all sizes imported into the UK.

Demand was out stripping availability of these motors so much that the cost started to rise leading up to xmas. I talked to my supplier the other day who told me that demand is very large for these type of engines and they will soon become very hard to get.

Imports of these engines are still allowed for commercial operators and racing (Zapcats use Tohatsu 50) etc.
I can only presume this must be the case for all makes of NEW imported motors that don't meet the new EU regs.

The High tec TLDI type 2 strokes and regular 4 strokes are not included in the ban, but they cost aprox 50% more than carbed 2 strokes.

I got my motor from Jon at National A1 Marine on the Wirral before the ban came into force. I was very pleased with their service.

http://www.nationala1marine.co.uk/
yoyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2007, 22:15   #30

Town: Liverpool
Make: Humber
Engine: Mariner 60 4/s
Hi, i found the aircraft to be a good boat but it has a very shallow v and isn't that stable in the rough, it's fast boat, and with a yam 50 2 stroke performs very well. They aren't the most asthetically pleasing ribs either but, good value for money. I beleive you can buy them from liverpool powerboats with a mariner 60 4 stroke aswell.
Old 15 January 2007, 17:50   #31

What do you think about Yamaha 2 strokes, there seem to be a lot around around the size I am interested in.

Will they use a lot more fuel than a Mariner or be more expensive, there seem to be a lot of them around second hand but quite new and with low hours.

Thanks

Andy
Old 15 January 2007, 18:21   #32
GED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack h View Post
Hi, i found the aircraft to be a good boat but it has a very shallow v and isn't that stable in the rough, it's fast boat, and with a yam 50 2 stroke performs very well. They aren't the most asthetically pleasing ribs either but, good value for money. I beleive you can buy them from liverpool powerboats with a mariner 60 4 stroke aswell.
The shallow v isn't that bad in the rough! the 5.2 boat was built to accommodate small dive club/rescue market and has been around for years (shallow v giving more room in the back) to store kit. the boat is an all rounder and under £10k for boat, 60hp Mariner and trailer ready to go you will find it hard to beat.
Old 15 January 2007, 18:31   #33
GED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jono Garton View Post
Wow sailing club certainly got ripped off at £14k, seems a good price at £4750.
Jono
Liverpool power boats sold this boat to a dealer in wales who kitted it out then sold it on to the sailing club ....so I'm told...come on jono whens are next rib run, me boats needs a blast.......
Old 15 January 2007, 22:12   #34

Town: Liverpool
Make: Humber
Engine: Mariner 60 4/s
Quote:
The shallow v isn't that bad in the rough! the 5.2 boat was built to accommodate small dive club/rescue market and has been around for years (shallow v giving more room in the back) to store kit. the boat is an all rounder and under £10k for boat, 60hp Mariner and trailer ready to go you will find it hard to beat.
oh no, i think it's an o.k. boat just that head on in some good chop they are quite bumpy , on the plus they are very responsive and accelerate very nicely.
As for a yam 50 2/ and mariner 60 4/ the yam is a much more brisk ride and is lighter, typical 2/ ,but what you can make up for in fuel costs i'd choose the mariner 4/, in fact ive got one, they are alot quiter, particularly at tick over, and have plenty of oomph for a 5 metre r.i.b.
Old 16 January 2007, 08:39   #35

Quote:
The shallow v isn't that bad in the rough!

Your talking to man who snapped the bottom off his spine, I like deep V

Like to arrange another rib run, however got a list as long as my arm for training as the weather was so bad in Nov & Dec, 15 Humbers to build, 3 Osprey sold and to build and a couple of days shooting (Before the season ends) and on top of that a bloody big house to rebuild.

When will see pics of Johns new rib?
Old 16 January 2007, 17:15   #36

Does anybody know the stance that manufacturers take on warranties for people who have fitted their own engines.

Jono, would the warranty be valid if I was to fit one of your 2nd hand outboards.

Andy
Old 16 January 2007, 17:23   #37

Quote:
Jono, would the warranty be valid if I was to fit one of your 2nd hand outboards.
We would want to fit the engine for the engine warranty to be valid.

RIB Manufacturers arn't too fussy if you fit your own engine, it is the engine manufacturers who insist on Installation & PDI by approved fitter/dealer/boat builder.

Jono
Old 16 January 2007, 19:29   #38

Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Engine: Etec 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jono Garton View Post
We would want to fit the engine for the engine warranty to be valid.

RIB Manufacturers arn't too fussy if you fit your own engine, it is the engine manufacturers who insist on Installation & PDI by approved fitter/dealer/boat builder.

Jono
Am I right in thinking that some engines also need to be set up by a techie after installation on the boat?

Sent from my Computer, using a keyboard and mouse
BogMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2007, 19:34   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by BogMonster View Post
Am I right in thinking that some engines also need to be set up by a techie after installation on the boat?
Part of the PDI with Optimax, Etec & Verado is a run through with the laptop after installation, this is mainly to prime the fuel & oil and check for faults. With E - Tec you also need to set which oil you are using.

Jono
Old 18 January 2007, 17:12   #40

Trailer

What trailers would you recommend for this size of boat, what manufacturers are good?

Do you think it would require braking as for this size of boat you can choose?

Also what sort of price should I be paying for a decent trailer, It will not be used for launch and recovery on a daily basis. Only a few times a year as I plan to have the boat on a mooring and the furthest it will probably have to travel is from the Rib Manufacturer and normally will never travel more than 100 miles once or twice a year.

Thanks

Andy