Old 30 May 2007, 00:24   #1

Town: Rhode Island
Make: avon
Length: 6m +
Engine: 90hp merc
need help with patching

Today I decided to redo a patch on my boat that had a slow leak. I used a hgair dryer and carefully pulled back the patch until I fopund where it was leaking. It has a couple of small puntures but the hypalon has started to come away from the fabric. I can see the threads. I am afraid to go any further and think it should be fine if I clean it up good but do not know how it will be where the fabricis showing. will the hypalon glue work on this, if not what can I do. It is not a large spot but it looks like if I continue to peel the patch back It will get worse. I am afraid to make things any worse, any help would be great???
Old 30 May 2007, 01:02   #2

Town: San Carlos, Mexico
Boat name: INDE
Make: LOMAC 730
Length: 7m +
Engine: 200 Merc.
MMSI: Please press 1
Send a message via Skype™ to Limey Linda
You think you got problems. See my posting Project Lomax. I have yards of fabric showing. Have it now fixed. Takes some time and about 100 bucks.
PM me for details including a pic of the area that needs work.
Regards, Tony
Old 30 May 2007, 01:12   #3

Ilooked on your thread and saww where you were using the hypalon paint to build up the rubber, is this to give you something to glue to instead of the fibers? How good will the paint stay on, Id hate to have it start to come off any time soon and make a good repair any harder? Id love to see any pics you have. My spot is no bigger than an inch
Old 30 May 2007, 02:00   #4

Town: San Carlos, Mexico
Boat name: INDE
Make: LOMAC 730
Length: 7m +
Engine: 200 Merc.
MMSI: Please press 1
Send a message via Skype™ to Limey Linda
What color are your tubes ? For this small an area I would buy West Marine Hypalon paint. Or, worth a try; go to Ace Hardware and buy a roll of Gorilla tape ( about 10 bucks) this a super, super version of Duct tape. Only available in black. The hypalon paint( Tuff Coat, base coat plus top coat)) sticks like you know what to a blanket. No need to put a patch over it.
Cheers, T
Old 30 May 2007, 08:08   #5

Town: Gloucestershire
Boat name: Osprey
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 5m +
Engine: E-tec 300 G2
MMSI: TBC
I recently reglued the rear part of the rubbing strake on my boat on both sides when I pulled away the strake it also pulled away quite a lot of the top part of the hypalon revealing the thread underneath, I checked with Henshaws and they said this was not a problem, what they said to do is to paint on the Bostik Glue as normal using three coats. Coat 1 leave overnight to go off, coat 2 leave for a few hours then apply coat 3 as per the instructions about 15 mins before applying the patch. You should also do this same routine on the patch.

They said that gluing onto the threaded part is fine and it actually absorbes the glue well providing a good mechanical fix.

Chris
Old 30 May 2007, 10:24   #6

thanks, I feel a little better now, hope it all works out, any other experience with this type of patch out there???
Old 31 May 2007, 10:20   #7

I am going to try to glue the patch back on in the next day or 2. any other info would be greatly appreciated. I am going to take all glue completely off and hope it hold where the threads are showing. I dont think I need to use any hypalon paint, it is only a small bit of threads that are exposed. I just want to make sure I am not creating more work for me later on....
thanks