Old 16 September 2004, 11:21   #31

Town: Portsmouth
Boat name: Not sure
Make: ABC/Priddy
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2 x 500 FPT
I have been working with Iridium for over 5 years and having tried all the rest I do belive that it is the best system available. Call costs are reasonable and as others have said good value for money when abroad compared to GSM roaming calls.The inbuilt arial is positioned for left or right ear use and is always in the right place. It is the Iridium system that we used to email all the colour photsos back from around the world via a palm top.
The best network for GSM phones is Vodaphone which seems to work even up in Greenland. I would not go to open sea without one. AlanP

Old 16 September 2004, 11:43   #32

Town: Nutbourne
Boat name: Renegade
Make: Porter
Length: 6m +
Engine: 140 Tohatsu
MMSI: 235022904
Quote:
Originally Posted by TQBoater
Out of interest has anyone tested or have any idea how far a mobile phone will work over open water ?

I guess it's more than on land as you have nothing to get in the way, but I have no idea how far it willl work from a single transmitter.
I did the Pool Cherbourg ferry a few years ago and had a signal all the way accross although it did become French at some point, where I'm not sure.

I would think it's also height related like the VHF.
You may have noticed that the signal went "SOS Only" for quite a bit of the trip. EC 1, 2 & 3 (Channel separation bouys) have emergency cell phone facilities.

Old 16 September 2004, 13:27   #33

Town: Gloucestershire
Boat name: Zulu
Make: Humber oceanpro
Length: 5m +
Engine: 75 Etec
MMSI: 235016713
I think I am right that even if your mobile has no signal bars, a 999 call often still be made. If 999 services call you back on your mobile you get a different ring tone (and loud) compared to your normal setting.
(On land that is)
Old 16 September 2004, 14:15   #34

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Quote:
Originally Posted by arn.george
I think I am right that even if your mobile has no signal bars, a 999 call often still be made. If 999 services call you back on your mobile you get a different ring tone (and loud) compared to your normal setting.
(On land that is)
Often an sms message will get through when signal isn't strong enough to make a call - there have been several cases of this reported.

Also to those doubters about vhf coverage etc there are place in the world where mobiles stand a MUCH better chance!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/1171210.stm
Old 16 September 2004, 15:28   #35

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn
...there are place in the world where mobiles stand a MUCH better chance!
In fact any independently powered device would stand a better chance in this case, because they had lost electrical and motor power!

I'm not knocking the value of mobile 'phones as a communication device, but you do sound like someone using the rare example of someone thrown from a motor vehicle accident to prove that seatbelts are dangerous
Richard B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2004, 16:33   #36

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard B
In fact any independently powered device would stand a better chance in this case, because they had lost electrical and motor power!

I'm not knocking the value of mobile 'phones as a communication device, but you do sound like someone using the rare example of someone thrown from a motor vehicle accident to prove that seatbelts are dangerous
Definitely not Richard - would only EVER use a mobile as a last resort!

As to seatbelts wouldn't be here now if it wasn't for them 99.999% of time they are a good idea - but NOT on an open boat as has already been discussed!!!!