Old 21 July 2004, 00:16   #11
Town: Poole
Length: no boat

Avon is a very good but you pay a high price to have that name on the side of your boat. The other people here have suggested a couple of other makes that are nearly as good and for the purpose of your usage it would be fine.

If you get a chance to see another boat look at the quality of fittings / gluing, routing of cables etc. If it is a well known make such as valiant then this would be a good buy.

I also agree that a second-hand boat, for your first one, is the best way to go. The benefit is when you make a mistake, and you will, it won’t cost as much or cause the second-hand value to drop when you want a bigger boat.

Whatever you get post some pictures on here, of that great part of the world.

MarkWildey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2004, 00:52   #12
Town: Des Moines, Iowa
Boat name: Perfecto
Make: Merc
Length: 4m +
Thanks for your imput. Ya ill keep my eye out for used ones. It sounds like a good option for first RIB. Because im aware that the resale value is quite good. But still I want to consider a new one as well. I dont believe there is any Valiant dealers around here. The only models that have here are small Mercury (quicksilver) valiants under 3m! The biggest takes a 10 horse heheh. Whats up with that.

What do you guys think of the Bombard WB 420? The price may be right

Sirius_Bane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2004, 06:58   #13
Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
I don't think British people realise how rare RIBs are in the USA/Canada - second hand ones will NOT be that easy to find.

Just done a search on and - 4 between them!!! And they were crap!

You won't go wrong with an Avon - they are built to last - I would have advised you buying a boat from the UK and shipping it over but the £ is very strong against the $ at the moment!

Bombard/Zodiac are similar to the Avon but aren't quite as ruggedly built.

Hope you get something nice and have loads of fun with it - don't forget to post some nice piccies here!

codprawn is offline   Reply With Quote