Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate
Nos,

I've generally been tolerant of your posts, even when they have derided others and the grammar's been bad, but you've really overstepped the mark here with your utterly regionalist, unthinking and hurtful gibe about people from Birmingham.

I've lived and worked in Brum and the people are absolutely brilliant - lots of them drive lorries for God's sake! Admittedly they used to make Rovers at Longbridge, but that's stopped now so surely you can't hold that against them.

Yes - they do like small boats with BIG engines and live a long way from the water and speak funny and get called the Birmingham Navy when they come down here and try to motor off while still attached to the pontoon. However please realise that they bring and spend huge amounts of money on local goods like beer and pizza and are, at least, amusing to watch.

I think you'll find the people Wavey's talking about were from Liverpool.
and more !!!

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 May 2006, 07:02   #22

Town: Oldham
Boat name: Aqua Vitae
Make: Ribcraft 4.8
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yamaha 75hp
MMSI: 235115057
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavelength
Day 2 looked round to see maniac in old overloaded speedboat give it loadsa wellie with excessive up trim from standstill. Shot straight upwards and then sank back down vertically as water flooded in over the back. 4 people in the water, no lifejackets, 2 non swimmers, T shirts and jeans on and so cold so quickly . Loadsa screaming etc, etc. If we hadnt just happened to be passing thru the area at that time they were gonners.
Dave,
A thought occurred to me (it does sometimes happen)...

Did you claim salvage? That would've taught 'em a lesson or two!

Tim
Old 09 May 2006, 20:32   #23

Town: Lymington
Boat name: Farfetched
Make: Solent
Length: 6m +
Engine: Merc. 150 Outboard
MMSI: Lucederterv...?
I am shocked and annoyed by the fairly regular, it seems, death's of motor boat sailors due to a lack of killcords. I do not feel enough is ever really done to remind motor sailors about this, nd I feel more emphasis should be made by RIB manafacturers and hardboat sales agents as to the importants and statistics of this.....

Just a thought, the story of Anthony Irving's death on Friday was quite shocking, dying so close to home......
Old 09 May 2006, 20:44   #24

Town: NW& wherever the boat is!
Boat name: depends on m'mood!
Make: Humbers/15-24m cats
Engine: etec130/big volvos
MMSI: many and various
Quote:
Did you claim salvage?
naw-it was only worth tuppence ha'penny-and that includes the fuel
Old 09 May 2006, 22:41   #25

Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribomaniatic
I am shocked and annoyed by the fairly regular, it seems, death's of motor boat sailors due to a lack of killcords. I do not feel enough is ever really done to remind motor sailors about this, nd I feel more emphasis should be made by RIB manafacturers and hardboat sales agents as to the importants and statistics of this.....
I just can't believe anybody would knowingly do it and I'm equally amazed that in the very short time I have been involved with boats I have heard of several people who have apparently been killed as a result of not wearing one.

There have been two occasions since I had my boat when I have taken my killcord off to do something and then taken off at full blast and after a couple of minutes realised I wasn't reattached to it, on both occasions I banged the throttle closed and stopped to reattach it immediately, having experienced the sort of "oh Sh&&" flush you get when you pass an unseen police car going rather too fast.

It's just complete common sense, even more so than wearing a lifejacket IMHO (I can swim without a lifejacket, but I can't swim if a) my boat has just cruised off over the horizon or b) it has just cruised round and over the top of me and split my head open in the process).

Nobody told me to wear it and I didn't have any training for it to be drummed in. I just never even considered NOT wearing it any more than I would drive on a motorway without a seat belt.
Old 10 May 2006, 16:11   #26

Town: London
Boat name: varies
Make: n/a
Length: n/a
Engine: varies
Quote:
Originally Posted by BogMonster
I just can't believe anybody would knowingly do it and I'm equally amazed that in the very short time I have been involved with boats I have heard of several people who have apparently been killed as a result of not wearing one.

There have been two occasions since I had my boat when I have taken my killcord off to do something and then taken off at full blast and after a couple of minutes realised I wasn't reattached to it, on both occasions I banged the throttle closed and stopped to reattach it immediately, having experienced the sort of "oh Sh&&" flush you get when you pass an unseen police car going rather too fast.

It's just complete common sense, even more so than wearing a lifejacket IMHO (I can swim without a lifejacket, but I can't swim if a) my boat has just cruised off over the horizon or b) it has just cruised round and over the top of me and split my head open in the process).

Nobody told me to wear it and I didn't have any training for it to be drummed in. I just never even considered NOT wearing it any more than I would drive on a motorway without a seat belt.
Good for you.

Do you test it functions correctly as part of your pre-departure checks? I never used to, but one day saw someone else do it and thought that's sensible. About 6mths later, went afloat, tested it and the engine kept running. Switch had failed. Now I always test it before setting off! It is definitely a safety crictical bit of kit, if it doesn't work, don't go out.

t
Old 10 May 2006, 20:20   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tideway
Good for you.

Do you test it functions correctly as part of your pre-departure checks? I never used to, but one day saw someone else do it and thought that's sensible. About 6mths later, went afloat, tested it and the engine kept running. Switch had failed. Now I always test it before setting off! It is definitely a safety crictical bit of kit, if it doesn't work, don't go out.

t
Yes and no. I have checked it a couple of times (and involuntarily the other day when I hopped off the seat to tie up, forgetting it was still tied to my leg!) but I must admit I don't check it EVERY time. I guess I figure it is a bit like the RCCB in my house, I'll check it every so often to make sure it works but not every time I plug the kettle in.

Mine has a handy function (maybe they all do) that while it will kill the engine, you can restart it without the kill cord plugged in - in case the cox fell over the side and needed rescue I assume! But one thing that I could do with is a spare cord/fitting, one of the original ones got broken so I only have the one. I suppose there are a million different types and the chances of finding the right one are bugger all?
Old 10 May 2006, 20:28   #28

the guy who has never forgotten the killcord, even if only for a brief moment, doesnt exist-or doesnt do much boating! Like accidents on roads they shouldn't happen but we all make mistakes at some time in our life. We carry spare kill cords and it is a point to make on a level2 course-if I go over the side how are you gonna come for me if I have the cord and the boat is drifting away from me in the wind.
Old 10 May 2006, 20:37   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavelength
the guy who has never forgotten the killcord, even if only for a brief moment, doesnt exist-or doesnt do much boating! Like accidents on roads they shouldn't happen but we all make mistakes at some time in our life. We carry spare kill cords and it is a point to make on a level2 course-if I go over the side how are you gonna come for me if I have the cord and the boat is drifting away from me in the wind.
Very true, as I said I have done it a couple of times, momentary lapse, I guess if my steering fell off at that precise moment I might be a statistic too.

The idea I came up with recently, to make sure I don't forget, is to clip the kill cord to the wheel when I take it off, then you can't really miss it because as soon as you go to do anything it is in the way which reminds you to put it back on. Or if you don't notice, the first armful of lock on the wheel rips the cord out and stops the engine which sort of grabs the attention
Old 10 May 2006, 20:59   #30

Town: Reading, Hants
Boat name: Juicy
Make: Sealine F43
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2 x 370hp
MMSI: TBC
Quote:
Very true, as I said I have done it a couple of times, momentary lapse, I guess if my steering fell off at that precise moment I might be a statistic too.

The idea I came up with recently, to make sure I don't forget, is to clip the kill cord to the wheel when I take it off, then you can't really miss it because as soon as you go to do anything it is in the way which reminds you to put it back on. Or if you don't notice, the first armful of lock on the wheel rips the cord out and stops the engine which sort of grabs the attention
good idea as i forgot mine for a bit of time on sunday, will do that in future,

is always good to test your kill cord on every trip as unfortunately they fail unsafe, ie on a merc if they are not connected or the connection comes loose the kill cord does not work and the engine still runs, not the ideal way but the way it is so always test it before each outing!!
Old 10 May 2006, 21:50   #31
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Mine has a handy function (maybe they all do) that while it will kill the engine, you can restart it without the kill cord plugged in
Sounds like the mercury style switch which is just a loop of cord round a toggle switch?
Quote:
I suppose there are a million different types and the chances of finding the right one are bugger all?
Not a million but each manufacturer generally has their own... ...if you're not sure someone here will no doubt be able to identify it from a picture. I think I have seen a kill cord with all the possible combinations on it (so one cord fits "any" boat) somewhere - will try to find a link (no doubt they won't sell to the Falklands though!).
Old 10 May 2006, 22:21   #32
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart
I think I have seen a kill cord with all the possible combinations on it (so one cord fits "any" boat) somewhere - will try to find a link (no doubt they won't sell to the Falklands though!).
This is what i was think of - its actually for PWC though - so might not have every possibility:

http://www.towsure.com/product.asp?p=7418
Old 10 May 2006, 22:38   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart
This is what i was think of - its actually for PWC though - so might not have every possibility:

http://www.towsure.com/product.asp?p=7418
Doesn't look like any of those. It is dark at the moment but I'll take a pic or two when it isn't.

Basically the "bit in the middle of the ignition switch that turns when you turn the key" moves in and out and is held pressed in by the kill cord thing, when you rip the kill cord out the middle bit with the key in pops out and the engine stops. Turn the key to start again and you can re-start it without the cord connected, or refit the cord and it resets.

I guess Oakley or Humber probably fitted it, I see Oakley is based in Brighton so when I am over I shall be going to their shop to see if they have a reasonable answer as to why they don't answer any effn emails since February so I will see if they have one then. The engine has an Oakley sticker on so I guess they ought to be able to supply it (and all the other bits I want), shame their customer service is crap!!!
Old 11 May 2006, 19:28   #34
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
Doesn't look like any of those. It is dark at the moment but I'll take a pic or two when it isn't.

Basically the "bit in the middle of the ignition switch that turns when you turn the key" moves in and out and is held pressed in by the kill cord thing, when you rip the kill cord out the middle bit with the key in pops out and the engine stops. Turn the key to start again and you can re-start it without the cord connected, or refit the cord and it resets.

I guess Oakley or Humber probably fitted it, I see Oakley is based in Brighton so when I am over I shall be going to their shop to see if they have a reasonable answer as to why they don't answer any effn emails since February so I will see if they have one then. The engine has an Oakley sticker on so I guess they ought to be able to supply it (and all the other bits I want), shame their customer service is crap!!!
My engine came from Oakley - and I also found that they weren't responsive to emails but did provide good phone support. I now it costs you a fortune though... does skype work over dial up? you could use that and "skype out".
Old 11 May 2006, 20:03   #35
ADS

Town: Dorset
Length: 4m +
Quote:

I think I know what you mean Stephen, the end of the killcord that attatches to your leg/arm/life jacket etc is like a bottle cap and has a little stud in the middle that pushes in the circular 'pin' in the middle of the kill switch itself. When the cord is removed the pin pops out the engine cuts, (or doesn't in which case your f*****!!)

Closest match on the net i could find was this:
http://www.mfgsupply.com/img/snowmob...t/01-147-1.jpg

Anyway, I had the same thing as you (if im correct) on my old Suzuki, and couldn't find an additional lanyard and shortly after it packed up. I also thought that if i was on my own and fell out the boat and someone else picked up my boat they're kill cord or spare wouldn't fit mine due to its uncommon design. To cut a long story short I replaced my switch with a more conventional model, the type that you pull the switch out and the fork bit attatches behind it. Cost me about £7 from the boatshop and never had a problem after that.
Old 11 May 2006, 21:01   #36

Here is the kill cord arrangement on mine

ignition key goes in to the middle, when the clip attached to the killcord is pulled off the middle (and the key) pops out about 1/4" and the engine stops, but can be restarted without fitting the clip back on
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P5110033.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	47.7 KB
ID:	19015   Click image for larger version

Name:	P5110034.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	19016   Click image for larger version

Name:	P5110037.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	28.7 KB
ID:	19017  
Old 11 May 2006, 21:49   #37
RIBnet admin team

I think its a fairly standard Johnson kill cord?

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/pr...ductId=1026753
http://www.marinemegastore.com/jump/...-PLA_31328.htm
Old 14 May 2006, 11:15   #38

Town: Hilton-of-Cadboll
Length: no boat
Quote:
Its people like that that give RIBs a bad name
It's people like THAT who give PEOPLE a bad name...

Keith Hart
Old 14 May 2006, 22:28   #39

Hi Keith - wot no brackets