Old 07 September 2011, 19:30   #1

Town: Sussex
Make: RIBTEC 655
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yam 150
Nav Lights - No A Frame

Sorry if this has been covered before but My 4.5 Valiant has no A frame and I don't have room to put on on, can I put a tri light on a pole attached to the transom and would anyone now where I could get one from, failing that are there any other suggestions.

Thanks
Old 07 September 2011, 19:43   #2

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Hissing Sid
Make: Ross Smith Cobra
Engine: 200HP Optimax
MMSI: 235038046
We used to fit a single pole with a wing to some of the BWMs, Biff (on here)made them, they looked good and some were strong enough to tow from depending on spec.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bwmrb1.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	71.1 KB
ID:	62461  
Jizm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 September 2011, 19:45   #3

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Hissing Sid
Make: Ross Smith Cobra
Engine: 200HP Optimax
MMSI: 235038046
another on a smaller boat....
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20bwm3.jpg
Views:	526
Size:	69.3 KB
ID:	62462  
Jizm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 September 2011, 19:50   #4

Town: Herne Bay
Boat name: Red May
Make: Zodiac
Length: 4m +
Engine: 40hp Honda 4 Stroke
MMSI: Is quite long
Send a message via Skype™ to actions
Channnel Ribs on here made me a transom pole for a VHF aerial as i have no A Frame either. I'm sure you could find some work around for the lights on this.

Edit - Make sure you have the right distances between lights as stated by Polwart.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	London, bday roy and dave, boat 056.jpg
Views:	367
Size:	66.8 KB
ID:	62463  
Old 07 September 2011, 19:51   #5
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
A tricolour isn't appropriate. You are supposed to have an all round white light with the two coloured (port / starboard) lights 1m below them. These can sometimes be mounted on the console. The white can then be on a pole (console, seat back or on transom). I have mine on a removable pole on the console.
Old 07 September 2011, 19:52   #6

Town: Seattle
Boat name: Water Dog
Make: Polaris
Engine: Yamaha 60hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas View Post
Sorry if this has been covered before but My 4.5 Valiant has no A frame and I don't have room to put on on, can I put a tri light on a pole attached to the transom and would anyone now where I could get one from, failing that are there any other suggestions.

Thanks
No you can't put a tri-light on a pole or mast. Not unless you are a sailboat. On a power boat the red and green sidelights are supposed to be in front of and 1m below the all-around white light. (assuming you are <12m in length overall)
Old 07 September 2011, 20:02   #7

Poles look great, I'll pop into see the guy who makes the guard rails at Chichester next time I'm there.

When I said tri I meant an all round white, red and green rather than just a stern light, I know the book says a meter but I often see them closer, though I think it would be neater to have the colours on the console and just the white on a pole.
Old 07 September 2011, 21:08   #8

Town: Cambs
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: 225 Opti
I did this and bought the bits from seascrew.com.

Amazing choice of stainless bits
Old 07 September 2011, 22:00   #9

Quote:
When I said tri I meant an all round white, red and green rather than just a stern light, I know the book says a meter but I often see them closer, though I think it would be neater to have the colours on the console and just the white on a pole.
You cannot use a masthead (or pole) tricolored light on a power vessel. Only sailing vessels <20m in length may use such a light and only while actually under sail. See Colregs rule #25.

So yes, the white should be on a pole and the colored on the sides of the console or mounted on a bracket on the bow. See rule #23

In pictures:
Navigation Lights and Shapes
Old 08 September 2011, 09:19   #10

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Length: 5m +
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
Just make sure if you put them on the console that the upturn of the bow doesn't block the sight lines.

Other possible issue with all three on a pole at the stern - is that YOU don't block the sight line....... which brings us back to Pol's pole on the console.
Old 08 September 2011, 09:41   #11

Town: Alderney
Length: no boat
Quote:
My 4.5 Valiant has no A frame and I don't have room to put on on, can I put a light on a pole attached to the transom and would anyone now where I could get one from
All things are possible.

Can you post a photo of your layout? Do you have a height restriction (store in a garage etc)?

Edit: Also, do you have a fixed VHF already fitted?
Old 08 September 2011, 12:20   #12

Town: Helsinki
Boat name: SR 5.4
Make: Avon
Engine: Toh1 3,5 Yam 90/2S
Quote:
Originally Posted by captnjack View Post
So yes, the white should be on a pole and the colored on the sides of the console or mounted on a bracket on the bow. See rule #23

In pictures:
Navigation Lights and Shapes
On a A frame, sidelights are in most cases on the same line whit the white light, although the white is one metre higher if correctly installed. Never heard anyone complain about that.

So wondering would it be ok to have a long pole, white on top and a "bi" red green light one meter below? would not make much different to a proper A frame setup ?
Old 08 September 2011, 12:25   #13

Town: Alderney
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by C-NUMB View Post
So wondering would it be ok to have a long pole, white on top and a "bi" red green light one meter below? would not make much different to a proper A frame setup ?
Or if an antenna is required a pole with red and green half way up, then two >180 degree whites and then the antenna mount.

Would using square stainless be unsightly? I think round looks better myself.
Old 08 September 2011, 12:45   #14

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Engine: Honda BF50
Have you considered fitting nav lights to a hard hat? A chin strap may be required for higher speeds.
Old 08 September 2011, 15:01   #15

Town: Oakland CA
Quote:
On a power boat the red and green sidelights are supposed to be in front of and 1m below the all-around white light. (assuming you are <12m in length overall)
Don't recall the spec saying the sidelights need to be in front of the white. White should be 1 meter higher though.

I do recall wording to the effect that on a small boat, placement to spec may be difficult or impossible, so an approximation is acceptable (meaning "whatever works", I suppose.)

jky
Old 08 September 2011, 15:10   #16
SPR

Town: Central Belt of Scotland
Boat name: Puddleduck III
Make: Bombard
Length: 5m +
Engine: 50 HP
Quote:
Rule 23

(c)
(i) A power driven vessel of less than 12 meters in length may in lieu of the lights prescribed in paragraph (a) of this Rule exhibit an all-round white light and sidelights.

(ii) a power driven vessel of less than 7 meters in length whose maximum speed does not exceed 7 knots may in lieu of the lights prescribed in paragraph (a) of this Rule exhibit an all-round white light and shall, if practicable, also exhibit sidelights.

(iii) the masthead light or all-round white light on a power driven vessel of less than 12 meters in length may be displaced from the fore and aft centreline of the vessel if centreline fitting is not practicable, provided the sidelights are combined in one lantern which shall be carried on the fore and aft centreline of the vessel or located as nearly as practicable in the same fore and aft line as the masthead light or all-round white light.
Old 08 September 2011, 15:12   #17

Town: yorkshire
Boat name: little vicky
Make: avon ex RNLI
Engine: tohatsu
Have you had a look in the S.i.b forums ,
some good ideas in the past and NORTHERNPIKE has recentley posted his latest ideas in the FUTURA RUNNING LIGHTS thread.
Old 08 September 2011, 17:51   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyasaki View Post
Don't recall the spec saying the sidelights need to be in front of the white. White should be 1 meter higher though.

I do recall wording to the effect that on a small boat, placement to spec may be difficult or impossible, so an approximation is acceptable (meaning "whatever works", I suppose.)

jky
Sidelights are "supposed" to be in front of the masthead light (Rule 23a). When the masthead is replaced with an all-around light on a small boat this is still applicable but you're right - frequently they are not on an A-frame.

But the OP doesn't have an A frame anyway. He needs a pole in the back and either a bicolor light on the bow or individual sidelights on a console.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Channel Ribs View Post
Or if an antenna is required a pole with red and green half way up, then two >180 degree whites and then the antenna mount.
This might legally work, but personally I think it would be seriously ugly. Not to mention the driver's head/body is going to block the sidelights.
Old 08 September 2011, 18:13   #19

I've found a pole I can clamp to the transom and will put a bi light on the nose as my console is small and worry lights there may get obscured.

I've come over from raggies but did read my day skipper manual before posting, there are many different rules for different boats and it does get confusing. I'll never be going very fast in the dark anyway as will be too scared of hitting lobster pots!!
Old 08 September 2011, 23:08   #20
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Sidelights are "supposed" to be in front of the masthead light (Rule 23a). When the masthead is replaced with an all-around light on a small boat this is still applicable but you're right - frequently they are not on an A-frame.
Don't see where is says that in 23a.

In fact you could even read 23a(i) and (iii) to mean that the sidelights could be behind the masthead light.

Certainly 23c(i), which Scott has quoted above, says "in lieu of" which to my mind means if you are applying 23c(i) ignore 23a. Otherwise the the all round white should be forward - not on the a frame at all....