Old 24 July 2014, 00:47   #1

Length: no boat
Narwhal - is it all bad?

Would you believe it, I've found just the boat for me. Right layout, right engine, right price except its a Narwhal!
If it wasn't for this forum I would have it sitting on my drive by now.
Is a 12 year old Narwhal worth serious consideration, are there good ones still out there?
I've read about tube issues and the inevitable repairs needed, is there anything else?
Any advice is welcome.
Old 24 July 2014, 14:17   #2

Town: near Kiel, baltic sea
Make: Avon SR4
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30 4-stroke
Hi,

if they were all bad, this spanish company wouldŽnt exist any more. It all depends of the specific condition of that one, youŽve got under
your radar. Could be good, could be bad, doesŽnt matter what name youŽll find on the tubes.
If i wouldŽnt know, were to look after, to check if that rib is ok or not, i would ask someone else who knows, to help me out with that.

I think that Narwahl isnŽt made of hypalon, so you really thave to check the tubes, cause you may be have 12 years old PVC in front of you.
If that one was for a long time in the sun...or was stored mostly in the garage makes a big difference.

I am sure there are many out there, who are satisfied with Narwahl, and may be some who have a tin of PVC glue at home to fix little issues
quickly..
Old 25 July 2014, 11:09   #3

Town: Deventer
Boat name: .
Make: Avon
Length: 6m +
Engine: outboard
We have 480WB/HD one at the lifesaving council which is about 12yrs old.
The foam got soaked once, but got the old foam out, made some minor repairs at the floorboard and foamed it again. Its a good boat for years allready. Superb handling! Fabric is fine. Colour is still good (red), but boat is always stored under an roof when not in use.

One of my friends has a 750HD with a Verado 250. Going to sea with that one a couple times a year and (most people probably won't believe me on this I know, but I'm serious),: In my opinion this is one of the best handling hulls I know.

Ownest: Quality of the gelcoat is not excellent. Done a couple of repairs allready in the years, but the boat is in the water apr-oct for ten years allready, so won't really complain about quality.

No technical problems of any sort with the fabric. Just the colour has faded in the first years and then kept stable at "light-blue".