Old 16 January 2013, 18:22   #11
Town: Lima-Peru
Boat name: Nautile
Make: Sea Rider Boats
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 18 /30 HP
If you are a religious man should call a priest to sanctify new boat's name with holly water, holly smokes or whatever they are using, if a non religious man could call a witch doctor and dance madly with him, they know their work to take the curse out. Don't break the champagne bottle in the hull, better drink it very cold specially if it's a Dom Pérignon bottle...

Happy Boating

Locozodiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2013, 01:05   #12
Town: Zummerset
Boat name: irven arlyss
Make: Humber Oceanpro
Length: 6m +
Engine: evinrude 135hp
What a load of bo***cks!

Just stick a new name on it!

I have sailed on dozens of ships that have been renamed, and no such ceremony was carried out.

We once had a ship called Condolezza Rice, (after the US politician in Bush's cabinet) and we were told we would be changing it. Now given it was a 900 foot long tanker there was an awful lot of the name, Bow, Stern bridge, and every lifebouy and lifejacket, as well as 101 other places.

We were asked for some suggestions on a new name and a lot of different names were put forward from the office and ship, but as I was going to be the one in charge of changing the name I wanted it to be simple, so I suggested the name "A" cos then the next one could be called "B" and so on, would have been nice and easy, so you know what? we were told to change it to Altair Voyager, which is just one letter less than the original That was a pain in the arse.

Anyway since then the ship has sailed round more or less trouble free for the last 12 years.

The bad luck thing has nothing to do with changing the name, however there are some vessels which are blessed with very bad luck (or bad crews!) I know of at least one that never changed the name and had every possible problem, short of a fatality or sinking happen to her!

So choose your name and be happy knowing you will have many years of enjoyment !

tonto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2013, 12:19   #13
Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Originally Posted by Tim M View Post
Remove all traces of the old name from the boat. Put the new name on, pour some booze on it then get drunk
I often do this, less the boat name part and the pouring of booze on inanimate objects.

jyasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2013, 12:23   #14
RIBnet supporter
Town: Bingley, West Yorks
Boat name: Iolar
Make: Redbay
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki DF140
New name

Name changed:

I explained to her why it had to be done, and she seemed to take it well.
Dan Gurney is offline   Reply With Quote