Old 28 April 2002, 15:22   #1

Town: Hilton-of-Cadboll
Length: no boat
Mystery RIB!

Hello folks

Check out this site and take a look at the RIB that is on it.
www.seaadventures.co.uk
Does anyone recognise it? Clue - it should be lying at Hamble according to the 'Ribs for Sale' section of Ribnet.

Keith (man of mystery) Hart
Old 29 April 2002, 17:30   #2
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
They are out of order using that picture -- it's not in the public domain and they don't have permission to use it. I have sent them an email asking them to remove it. They only had to ask . . .

It's a bit of a sorry situation when a RIB charter company has to steal a picture of someone else's RIB to use on their web site!

John
Old 29 April 2002, 18:22   #3

The Detective strikes again!

Yup John, a Rib charter company without a Rib of their own to photograph is a bit worrying.

Don't we have a Ribnet member in Portree?

Keith (super surfer) Hart
Old 29 April 2002, 21:12   #4

Town: Leatherhead
Wow!!!

Those poor villians in the West Midlands must have a tough time with Keith (Hawkeye) Hart on their case

Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill! Bullshit and brilliance only come with age and experience.
Ribald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 April 2002, 21:13   #5

Town: Isle of Skye
Boat name: Seafari - VHF CH 71
Make: Humbers+Catamaran
Length: 6m +
Engine: Volvo/Iveco/Suzuki
Tut Tut!

Personally thought the name is/was a bit close to the bone.

We had to actually buy the boat first before we got a picture of it!

Whose RIB is it then ? Poss you could ask for publicity fees ??

All well spotted.

Cheers

Pete - Seafari Adventures - Skye (Not Portree)
Old 30 April 2002, 06:40   #6

When I was VERY little (I know it's hard to believe, but I was once), I remember watching Hawkeye and Chingachgook, the 'Last of the Mohicans'. It must have inspired me.

Have you heard from the 'offenders' (note the quote marks, this means I can not be sued) yet John?

About 2 years ago, we noticed a drop in our Black Aretfacts mail order business. I found out that our website was not working, the url was being directed to a company in Scotland who had somehow managed to steal our website address. I immediately contacted the web hosting company I use and with many appologies the url was redirected back to my own site.

I contacted the offending business and told them in no uncertain terms that this must not happen again and asked them to forward any orders to me! I never heard a word from them. No appology, no explanation, nothing. I seethed and simmered for a while but it would have been very expensive to sue for damages so I just left it at that.

For a while................

Then about 6 months ago I started receiving booking enquiries for a company in Scotland. I quickly realised that it was the very same company who had previously stolen my website url. At the time I had no idea why the bookings were coming to us. Anyway I silently had my revenge as each time an enquiry or booking came through, I simply pressed the delete key and consigned their potential customer to electronic data oblivion in MY wastebasket.

You have no idea how good it felt to hear the soft click of that delete key. Then after a short while I had the added pleasure of emptying the wastebasket. Still they came through and the pleasure continued.

Then...............

Last month I received an email directly from the offending company. A very chatty email explaining that they had set up a new website and email booking system which happened to have a similar name to mine. However, the local tourist authority had misprinted the url and it happened to be that by mistake they had printed MINE. Would I be ever so kind and redirect any enquiries to them, and how kind I was etc. etc.

Well folks, it felt very sweet as I remembered how THEY had ignored MY plea for help. And when I heard the soft click of the delete key as their plea joined it's compatriots in MY wastebasket I felt even better. Even now I am still receiving their bookings, and guess where they end up?

John, bide your time. You never know when the 'favour' can be returned.

Keith (revenge is sweet) Hart
Old 30 April 2002, 08:04   #7

Make: FB 55
Length: 10m +
Skyewaves sure did not hang about...Spirit of Portsmouth is removed from their site. Funny about all this.....I stumbled across this site a while ago and honestly thought it was another one of John's lucrative little businesses?!
ps.How's the baby and family doing JK?
Old 30 April 2002, 08:27   #8

Charles: I stumbled across this site a while ago , it's a small world, but as they say, I wouldn't want to have to paint it though!

I can understand using a manufacturers generic picture, but pinching one from another website is a bit much. I've found a couple of photographs on entrtrainment agencies sites, but they are actually selling our entertainment for us.

Keith Hart
Old 30 April 2002, 09:30   #9
Administrator

I have received a prompt and very full apology from the webmaster in question, and as Charles noted the images have been removed.

It was apparently being used as a stopgap until they could get a picture of their new boat, they just forgot to ask whether it would be OK.

No harm done, but it pays to be careful when Keith (Ello, ello, ello) Hart is around with time on his hands!

John
Old 30 April 2002, 10:39   #10

I would just like to point out for the record, that I am NOT a police officer. I am a CIVILIAN Scenes of Crime Officer, so technically I'm not authorised to say " 'ello 'ello 'ello". I am pointing this out to avoid any confusion and avoid any wrath from the boys in blue as I am sure there are a couple on RibNet.

Well as you say John, no harm done.

Keith (pedantic is not the word) Hart
Old 30 April 2002, 17:04   #11

Make: BWM
Length: 6 give or take
Engine: 150 HP outboard
Public Apology to John Kennett.

Many apologies - use of the photograph was entirely my fault and I should (and do) know better. The image of Phoenix was only to be used temporarily as the actual SkyeWaves boat to be featured on the site should have been built, delivered and photographed a while ago before the site went live.

Unfortunately the boat in question has been delayed in manufacturing, has not yet been delivered and hence the site went live 'as was'. I had intended at that point to approach John to ask for permission to use the Phoenix image temporarily and I am seriously amiss in not having done so. The images of the boat were removed from the website by 10pm last night immediately in accordance with his (very reasonable) request.

They will be replaced by one from the manufacturer as soon as this can be arranged or photos of the actual RIB (whichever arrive first), as indeed they should have been before going live.

I would also like to personally assure John that there will be no long-term effects of the type reported by Keith in one of the contributons above.

John Biscoe - Webmaster to SkyeWaves.
Old 30 April 2002, 17:17   #12

Very Sorry, well now you're here keep on postin'.

The difference is that YOU did something about it, the people who pinched my site didn't....until, as fate decreed, the tables were turned on them.

So, welcome aboard, and please join in.

Keith (might try Skye in my tiddler) Hart
Old 30 April 2002, 17:30   #13

Make: BWM
Length: 6 give or take
Engine: 150 HP outboard
Thanks Keith - I may well just do that.

If you're up this way, the first pint is on me

And I think that I shall keep this nickname by way of a penance ....

JB
Old 30 April 2002, 18:50   #14

Town: Pembrokeshire
Boat name: MATUKA
Make: Lencraft
Length: 5.5m
Engine: Mariner 60 4s Efi
stolen property

Message for KH.
Keith..as a member of the family, you are entitled to say whatever you like. Without you people we would be in SH-ONE-T.
Regards from a plod.
Old 30 April 2002, 19:04   #15

That's very kind of you David, I'm all embarassed now....

Right on a serious matter.
Seeing as we are on the subject of Skye, take a look at this :http://www.northern.police.uk/nav/index1.htm Then take a look at the link about the body found on Skye. If you are from Skye you may be able to help.

Keith (used to be in Northern Constabulary) Hart
Old 30 April 2002, 19:41   #16
Administrator

I have now had abject apologies, grovelling even, by email and here on the forum from SkyeWaves and their web designer. The offending picture was removed very promptly too. Thank you.

I fully accept the apologies and am sure that no harm was intended (and in fact no harm was done), and consider the matter closed. There's no need for this to get out of proportion!

I may tax the guilty parties a beer or two should I ever meet them though . . .

John
Old 30 April 2002, 20:03   #17

Town: Worcester
Boat name: Cheap 'N' Cheerful
Make: Avon C
Length: 3.5 metres
Engine: Mariner 8HP O/B 2 stroke.
To very sorry, can you keep that pint for me Keith's tea total!! I think I could manage to drink it on his behalf??!!
Bill (Billy no mates and no engine Associate of KH) Davison.
Old 30 April 2002, 20:21   #18

Now TLS is pinching my drinks. Sodd Off Davison. I'll have a Kaliber please.

Keith (who the hell is this Bill chappie anyway?) Hart
Old 30 April 2002, 20:29   #19

Town: Worcester
Boat name: Cheap 'N' Cheerful
Make: Avon C
Length: 3.5 metres
Engine: Mariner 8HP O/B 2 stroke.
Hart, just as well I'm a nice natured little barsteward!!
Old 30 April 2002, 20:35   #20
Ali

Town: Portree
Make: Panthercat
Length: 9m
Engine: Mercruiser Diesel
No problem John, if you are ever here let me know and i will sort the beers out. That goes for you as well Keith.