Old 30 May 2009, 22:08   #1

Town: Portsmouth
Boat name: Kaybe
Make: Ribtec
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha Wake Sport 50
Send a message via Skype™ to Gavin F
My tubes keep deflating, what can i do?

Right then? My tubes keep deflating!!!????!!!! I've had a good look over the tubes and there are a few patches on them from the previous owner but they seem to be ok, there are a few loose patches and that but nothing major and don't know what else to do? I've had them all pumped up at the same time and they deflate at the same rate, it just seems a bit of coincidence that they all do it at the same time? Could this be the temperature, could it be that there's exactly the same hole on each tube, don't know? Any one know how I can fix this problem and check why they're going down? Help please as I want to get out asap....
Old 30 May 2009, 22:19   #2

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
They will go softer at night or in the water and harder in the sun.........

Rude comments aside try soapy water and look for leaks.
Old 30 May 2009, 22:28   #3

Town: Jersey
Boat name: Archangel
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 6m +
Engine: ETec 225
MMSI: 235063789
Tubes deflating

A few ideas in no particular order:

Temparature can make a big difference to the tube pressure. If the temparature falls, so will your tube pressure. If the pressure doesn't return as the air temparature increases then you must have a leak.

Check all the valves. If the tubes are old and the valves are original then, like lightbulbs, they'll tend to fail at the same time.

How many chambers do your tubes have? Modern rib tubes will have several such that the majority of the tube will remain inflated if there is a hole in any one place. It seems strange that everything's deflating on your boat.

If you can't find the leak then get your boat on a trailer and carefully wipe the tubes in water mixed with washing up liquid. This will reveal the tiniest of leaks.

Last resort: get your boat retubed. I would rather have the expense than an emergency at sea.
Old 30 May 2009, 22:35   #4

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: stramash
Make: Tornado
Engine: Etec 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn View Post
try soapy water and look for leaks.
Thats the best you can do I'm afraid.. depending on your circumstances .. and if you want to keep your boat for a while a retube might be a consideration if its got a lot of repairs on it already .. I know it sounds extreme .. but just think,.. it will make your craft good for another 10 years and thats not a bad investment but you need to give more info on size and how quick they go down etc cos some folks are happy with mild deflation .. others wont be.. personally I've had some Northcrafts that had rubbish tubes that needed pumped every odd week, but other boats.. that never needed air in as much as 2 years.. for sure
Old 30 May 2009, 22:53   #5

Thanks for this, looks like i need to get the soapy water out then! The valves are screw in sort of valves and there are three seperate ones. I'm going to have a look tomrrow with some soapy water and see what that reveals I think. How much woudl a retube cost, might just buy a new rib in this climate should be some bargains....
Old 31 May 2009, 08:37   #6

Town: Up Norf
Make: Avon SR4,Tremlett 23
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yam 55, Volvo 200
Your probably looking around £2500-£3000 for a retube.

If all chambers are deflating you could deflate them all and try pump just one chamber up. If all your tubes or more than the one your pumping inflate then the baffles will be leaking.

I'm sure you can just get parts of the tube replaced so you don't need a full retube.
Old 31 May 2009, 12:53   #7

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
Sounds like the baffles have gone in addition to a leak, but all is not lost. If you can find the leak or duff valve then go for it. If not you could ask May Day Marine in Airport Rd to change the valves, bit hard to get hold off because they are always out collecting and delivering liferafts but fine when you do. They have serviced my liferaft for years now (used to be out past Emsworth before they moved).

Wouldn't worry about the baffles if you can get the tubes to stay up for a few days.

http://www.the-internet-pages.co.uk/...nflatables.htm

Pete
Old 31 May 2009, 16:41   #8

So then, here's the latest! Went down to the boat today with my bucket and soapy water and tested all seals, joins, etc, etc on the tubes and no bubbles in sight to be seen!?! All the tubes were hard and then all went soft at exactly the same time. What's the diagnosis doctors and what next? Cheers all.

By the way, thanks for advice on mayday marine above Pete, they look like they might be worth a call.
Old 31 May 2009, 17:02   #9

Town: Gloucestershire
Boat name: Osprey
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Engine: E-tec 300 G2
MMSI: TBC
Pump them up as much as you dare then if your boat is in a quiet place walk around and listen for hissing. I found a couple of difficult to loate holes this way on a small tender.

In the worst case you may have a leak under a rubbing strake or worse where the tube glues to the hull this could mean a trip to your nearest tuber to see if they can repair them

Ribshop are near to you aren't they?

Chris

Born fiddler
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2009, 17:21   #10

Town: yorkshire
Boat name: little vicky
Make: avon ex RNLI
Length: 3m +
Engine: tohatsu
can you roll the boat over on a lawn or old tyres a lot of small holes are on the underside ,if so get a bottle of cheap washing up liquid mix 50% with water inflate the tubes hard and paint on trying not to make bubbles before you start, doing one section at a time then with a pen mark the holes ,and go around the valves where they joint the tubes ,had a leak on one boat last week and was down to the whole valve unscrewing slightly ,just needed nipping up with a spanner.good luck
Old 31 May 2009, 21:40   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Pump them up as much as you dare then if your boat is in a quiet place walk around and listen for hissing. I found a couple of difficult to loate holes this way on a small tender.

In the worst case you may have a leak under a rubbing strake or worse where the tube glues to the hull this could mean a trip to your nearest tuber to see if they can repair them

Ribshop are near to you aren't they?

Chris
Thanks for this, i'm going to have to do something so i'll give anything a go, here's to happy hissing!
Old 31 May 2009, 21:41   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by m chappelow View Post
can you roll the boat over on a lawn or old tyres a lot of small holes are on the underside ,if so get a bottle of cheap washing up liquid mix 50% with water inflate the tubes hard and paint on trying not to make bubbles before you start, doing one section at a time then with a pen mark the holes ,and go around the valves where they joint the tubes ,had a leak on one boat last week and was down to the whole valve unscrewing slightly ,just needed nipping up with a spanner.good luck
Well I guess I could apart from the A Frame might get in teh way a little might it? I'll see what's what down at the ECA but could be a little difficult on that one, I might phone up Robshop for a bit of advice on this one.