Click Here to Login

Old 10 September 2012, 22:15   #1

Town: Globe
Boat name: Floaty Weirdo
Make: 15m bigego
Length: 10m +
Engine: Ford Alternantor
My old searider refurbs first trip out at sea

Rebuilt an old searider 4 , yeh I know the seat material is a little to be desired but I made the seat and just had to get it out so its builders sacks for now Ok and I've made it so the material can be easily changed when needed, the rest of it doesnt have the same build quality contol as the seat fabric, i'll post pics later of the build. Took it out for the first time off rye harbor 4 pm yesterday. Anyone give me an idea of how choppy that was for a first time experience. Someone must have been out round that way yesterday. It was pretty scarey and after 15 mins and I came back in for a river potter , very wet and cold, had a shirt on and pair of trousers. I think I just got nervous at the launch and forgot to change. Also , just as a bonus , as I was getting the boat off the trailer , in full view of the amused public, my life jacket cord got caught on the boat, THAT WAS A BIT OF AN UNPLEASANT SURPRISE, what a pratt, lol. Excellent things though arnt they folks..ribs that is, well and the life jacket actually. Then coming back from rye town , we watched a young seal playing about with a feather on the mud banks, completly unperturbed by us for about 15 mins. All I can say is , I cant wait till I have more confidence, thank god for Laurence of Arabia.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0459.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	119.8 KB
ID:	72022   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0458.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	90.6 KB
ID:	72023   Click image for larger version

Name:	!cid_7D4259E5-E544-42C4-B556-82CC370C8F32@dlink.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	72024   Click image for larger version

Name:	!cid_DA683E98-A9F3-4B04-BFEF-BA528477E939@dlink.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	72025   Click image for larger version

Name:	sr4.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	72026  

Old 10 September 2012, 23:49   #2

Town: Raleigh, NC
Boat name: Recess
Make: Avon
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mercury 9.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by spareribs View Post
Excellent things though arnt they folks..ribs that is,

They really are a blast. Having had my first RIB for about a month or so now, I'm looking for a bigger 1.
Nothing too big, I don't have alot of $$$, but I REALLY want a steering wheel and forward facing seat, I'm thinking about an 11 footer, up to about a 14 footer.
We are having a blast on ours, and it's just a 10 footer with 9.9 Mercury.
Old 12 September 2012, 07:51   #3

Town: Oldham
Boat name: Aqua Vitae
Make: Ribcraft 4.8
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yamaha 75hp
MMSI: 235115057
I was out Sunday morning in my 3.6 Tornado. I went from Hasler to Bursledon. It was choppier than anticipated and even with full waterproofs, one of my crew were drenched (he'd declined the offer of a drysuit).
We bailed on the return journey and got a taxi to retrieve the car and trailer due to increasing winds that would be too much for my little thing.

My advice: get a Drysuit to stay warm and dry. Do a course (national powerboat certificate) to gain so experience and confidence. Get another ribnetter to join you for a bit of support.
Above all.....enjoy!
Old 12 September 2012, 20:52   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by theteacher View Post
They really are a blast. Having had my first RIB for about a month or so now, I'm looking for a bigger 1.
Nothing too big, I don't have alot of $$$, but I REALLY want a steering wheel and forward facing seat, I'm thinking about an 11 footer, up to about a 14 footer.
We are having a blast on ours, and it's just a 10 footer with 9.9 Mercury.
I only paid £500 for the boat trailer console steering gear, 2 old steering wheels, and then just shear brute determination got it back to a good state. I just concentrated on the core stuff, deck , transom, water tightness and bought a load of good quality glass and used the internet. I now have a boat that will last a long time. Unless the tubes are shot , I dont think you can really go wrong, unless it was a Chernobyl rescue craft or something. Oh and did get some rubber bling, but mainly just to make her bashable not blingy. Well a bit. The boat did have a letter box hole in the deck and the transom was pretty holy and had some top rot but nothing hard to do really. Not if you look at this bloke and his related videos you should be able to do a half decent job on a repair.
Old 12 September 2012, 20:56   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Tim View Post

My advice: get a Drysuit
I just ordered a floatation suit Fish Eagle 2 piece £90 with postage, that I do want. Dunno if I'll be Mr Staypuff Marshmellow man in it but, I hate cold, ruins the fishing, as soon as your feet go , the end is nigh.
Old 12 September 2012, 23:55   #6
Dhf

Length: no boat
[QUOTE=spareribs;487402]I just ordered a floatation suit Fish Eagle 2 piece £90 with postage,

You will not be disapointed either, I've got one of those and I find wearing the jacket alone keeps me warm enough, the only problem I find is with the detachable hood, it's got a large peak and constantly want's to blow back at speed. so I've removed mine and use a wooly hat instead.
Nice rib btw, I used to have one like that and covered many happy miles in it.
Happy warm Rib-ing,