Old 17 November 2006, 22:17   #1

Town: Poole
Make: Aquaflyte
Length: 6m +
Engine: Merc 90 2Str
My new Ribtec project ...

Having sold my old rib, I felt the need for something a little larger, and here are the first few pics of my new boat. She's a Ribtec 535 with 90 Mariner horses on the back. As you can see at the moment she's in need of a little TLC. I've got a good deal when bought her from Ribeye who took her in as a trade-in ( - cheers John) and she's now being looked after by that nice Mr Tilley in Dartmouth. On that note, cheers Paul for doing the liasing with John.

The plan is that Paul is going to refurbish the tubes, lifeline, handles etc and then when I get her home she'll have a proper wash and brush up. We're planning on recovering the really scuffed top half of the tubes with Artic Grey fabric (bottom of the tubes is in really good nick) so we'll have a two-tone finish. No comments about go-faster stripes and fluffy dice please guys.

Plan is also to get some photos of her during the refurbishment so there can be a running commentary. Watch this space for progress

Andrew
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ribtec FL.jpg
Views:	340
Size:	46.8 KB
ID:	23287   Click image for larger version

Name:	side.JPG
Views:	403
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	23288   Click image for larger version

Name:	scuff.JPG
Views:	347
Size:	46.3 KB
ID:	23289  
Old 17 November 2006, 23:36   #2

Town: Fareham
We always enjoy refurb stories Andrew (make a change from Sea Riders ).

Have you any plans for the rest of the RIB?

Looks Slow but is Fast
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2006, 07:08   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hightower View Post
Have you any plans for the rest of the RIB?
One of the first jobs will be to fit a VHF and ariel. I've also got a separate Cuda128 depthsounder and Garmin GPS76, but I'm toying with the idea of Ebaying them both and investing in a combined unit like the Garmin 178c that Bedajim and few others have been discussing a few months ago. Any thoughts any one?

Similarly high importance is getting the Ali prop repaired. Its got quite a few nicks on the leading edges, and it'll need some work done on it. I remember seeing some recommendations of prop repairers on the engines discussion area so I'll search through and find out who's recommended.

After that I'll need to get all the weed/growth/crud off the bottom of the hull. Even though its been anti-fouled at somepoint that doesn't appear to have deterred all things biological. Is it better to leave the old anti-foul paint on there, or try and remove it (and if so, how)?. Brakes on the trailer also need some attention.

So as you can see Andy, there are quite a few jobs to keep me going over winter.

Andrew
Old 18 November 2006, 07:51   #4

I wouldn't buy a combination unit like the 178 as you're putting all your eggs in one basket. Garmin dosen't have a good reputation for depthfinders, much better to stick with the Cuda and buy a plotter.

As for the prop....You got a spare? Alloy props are cheap new and you might be lucky and buy a cheap new one for very little money on E-bay, I did.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Mercury-outboa...QQcmdZViewItem

This one looks good

Looks Slow but is Fast
Old 18 November 2006, 08:33   #5

Town: Midlands
Boat name: SR4.7
Make: Avon
Length: 4m +
Engine: Mariner 60 EFI
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewH View Post

After that I'll need to get all the weed/growth/crud off the bottom of the hull. Even though its been anti-fouled at somepoint that doesn't appear to have deterred all things biological. Is it better to leave the old anti-foul paint on there, or try and remove it (and if so, how)?.

Andrew
After leaving the cabin cruiser on the river for six months, we use a pressure washer and scrubbing to remove the antifoul. Providing all the growth is on the antifoul then its quite an easy job, any bits that have got on the gel-coat are much harder. Antifoul is made come off easily.

If your going to trailer the boat then remove all the antifoul, it stains and doesn't look very nice, and will rub off on the rollers on your trailer.

If the boats on a mooring then antifoul it. If you don't you'll loose several knots off your top speed.
Old 18 November 2006, 23:29   #6

Thanks for the advice guys

Andy: Do Garmin sounders have such a bad name? I'd got the impression that their kit was pretty reliable, but is that only true of the GPS side of things?

Getting another prop sounds like a good idea ,If I can pick up a cheapish Ali one I can keep the exisiting one as a spare

Samt: Rib will be trailed most of the time so setting about the hull with a jet washer sounds like the right way forward

Regards

Andrew
Old 19 November 2006, 00:11   #7

Well there where several threads a couple of years ago about unhappy Ribbers buying Garmin depthfinders, never owned one though but did convince me to buy from a different manufacturer and to be honest Garmin might have got their act together and solved the problems people where having, as for service they're second to none.

But please remember if you purchase a combined unit and have a problem with it at Sea, when you need your navigational devices you'll be at an instant disadvantage as you'll have lost both GPS and Depthfinder.

Having said all this, it is your choice as I've no Idea what you're requirments are for a RIB and I wish you luck on your choice.

Looks Slow but is Fast
Old 19 November 2006, 02:22   #8

Town: Tobermory, Canada eh
Boat name: Verius
Make: Zodiac Hurricane 590
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha F150
Send a message via MSN to Stoo
Quote:
Any thoughts any one?
Personally, I like the idea of a combo unit just because of the space limitations on my boat. (I have a similar Jockey console like yours...) I had an aluminum bracket fabricated that sticks off the side of the console so that when my hand is on the throttle, the unit is within finger reach. (The throttle stabilizes my hand for pegging the right buttons...)

I can't speak about the Garmins, but I had a Lowrance Globalmap 3000 for about 9 years that was bombproof, and I have one season on a Lowrance LCX-25C upgrade. Both were sonar/GPS plotter combos. The new one has the option of adding a radar antenna.

As for having "all of your eggs in one basket"... I carry a spare handheld GPS just in case (and a handheld VHF as well...)

Good luck with your project!

www.wetspotimages.com
Stoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2006, 06:45   #9
RIBnet supporter

Town: Rutland
Length: no boat
Hi

I've had no problems with my Garmin 178c and most of the problems people seem to have are based on mounting the fish finder/depth finder sender unit on the transom but mine works fine, mounted as per the instructions

PS I've kept the 178c from my old boat for my new one as I'm so happy with it.

PPS I also carry a hand held just in case (as I've got one)

James
Old 19 November 2006, 11:10   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bedajim View Post
I've had no problems with my Garmin 178c and most of the problems people seem to have are based on mounting the fish finder/depth finder sender unit on the transom but mine works fine, mounted as per the instructions

James
So is your mounted "thru hull" or is it also transom mounted? If I remember correctly you've also got the internal antenna version haven't you James?

Andrew
Old 19 November 2006, 11:35   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bedajim View Post
Hi

James
If memory serves it was the transducer people where having problems with, I think that some actually fitted external transducers into the hull for better results by means of encasing it with resin or silkaflex.

I have a Garmin 182c and find it's a great plotter, very user friendly.

Looks Slow but is Fast
Old 19 November 2006, 12:41   #12
RIBnet supporter

Town: Rutland
Length: no boat
Quote:
So is your mounted "thru hull" or is it also transom mounted? If I remember correctly you've also got the internal antenna version haven't you James?

Andrew
Hi

yes it's transom mount type fine upto 32 knots thats as fast as the searider went and I 've got the internal gps antenna as it saves running a wire to the A frame

I moved the transom mount closer to the engine when i fitted the smart tabs and it was still fine

James
Old 19 November 2006, 15:39   #13

Town: Bristol
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Yamaha
ive had a couple of 178c's and they are superb, easy to use, etc etc, im looking for another one now and what is the version like with a internal aerial?? are they as good????? sorry to nick your thread but have to know!!! thanks
Old 19 November 2006, 17:10   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt h View Post
sorry to nick your thread but have to know!!! thanks
Bl**dy Bristol thread pinchers - is nothing sacred .

Must be some kind of bad habit picked up by living too close to Swansea !!!

Andrew
Old 19 November 2006, 17:49   #15

Town: West Wales
Make: Vipermax 5.8, SR4.7
Engine: 150 Opti, F50EFi
Quote:
Bl**dy Bristol thread pinchers - is nothing sacred .

Must be some kind of bad habit picked up by living too close to Swansea !!!

Andrew
Robbing jacks
Old 19 November 2006, 17:51   #16

Town: Bristol
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Yamaha
ha ha , this is fun!!!! more !!!
Old 19 November 2006, 18:00   #17

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Downhilldai View Post
Robbing jacks
Oi Mush!!!
Old 19 November 2006, 18:14   #18

Town: West Wales
Make: Vipermax 5.8, SR4.7
Engine: 150 Opti, F50EFi
Aaye - tidy like, innit
Old 19 November 2006, 19:14   #19

Town: Southampton
Boat name: SMH Rib / War Shot
Make: Ribtec / Scorpion
Length: 4m +
Engine: 100hp Yam/150hp opt
RIBase
I have a Garmin 182C inherited with the boat and works fine. Added a Garmin Sounder - cheapest one I could get at the boat show and has worked fine for the last 2 years on a transom mounted transducer - even at speed.

For propeller repairs try propeller revolutions in Poole - Cobbs Quay

Would also be worth picking up a s/h Laser II 20" for your combination - had one on my SR5.4 with a 90 Mariner and it went well.

Have fun
Old 20 November 2006, 10:33   #20

Good to hear lots of people endorsing the Garmin 178c - feeling a bit more positive about that now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Searider View Post
For propeller repairs try propeller revolutions in Poole - Cobbs Quay

Would also be worth picking up a s/h Laser II 20" for your combination - had one on my SR5.4 with a 90 Mariner and it went well.

Have fun
Duncan - thanks for the name of revolutions. I remember having seen their name mentioned in other posts.

Is the Laser II made from stainless or is it Ali? My thoughts had always been that as stainless is so tough, if you do have the misfortune to have a ding then the gearbox is taking all the stress. If your prop is made of ali this is going to bend a lot more - thereby protecting your gearbox somewhat. Opinions anyone ?

Andrew