Old 01 November 2013, 06:57   #1

Town: Nairobi
Boat name: Mwaozi Tumbe
Make: Presteige
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yamaha 90HP
My New RIB Project

Hi All,

I have been reading the forum for some time while I didn't have a RIB and have been on the look out for a decent priced little motor.

I think I have done quite well, I managed to buy a Prestige 475 that has been stood dry for 5 years on an island in a Lake about 100K from Nairobi (living in Kenya).Got the boat for nothing, I cold recoup my money just off selling the road trailer... so I am chuffed so far.

The RIB has a 90hp Yamaha engine on it, the hull seems in good nick and the deck is better than expected after a wash, although it has two jam jar lid size cracks/holes towards the bow, its should be a simple fibre glass fix.

All three chambers inflate - but then deflate rather quickly, I am going to use some hot soapy water and a biro to try and locate most of them later today.

Advice I would love:

1. Best way to check for punctures
2. How to go about giving the engine an MOT
3. How to smarten up the PVC tubes once they are all patched and sealed
4. What glue/materials needed for tub restoration
5. Any other tips and pointers from you experts.

I have just rebuilt a Land Rover with no former experience and picked everything up off a forum so I am hoping for the same result here!

Pictures to be added in next post.
Old 01 November 2013, 07:40   #2

Town: Wirral & Caernarfon
Boat name: That's Enuff
Make: Revenger & Avon SR4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Honda 150HP & 50HP
Hi Huffie, welcome to RIBnet

Guess if you've rebuilt a landrover then sorting a rib should be straightforward, you'll get plenty if advice on both on here

looking forward to the pics of your rib
Old 01 November 2013, 08:13   #3

Pictures:

Getting a boat through the thick hyasinth swamp!

The Boat after we pumped some air into her

Launching into the water

On the water (followed by 3 hours of 12 blokes cutting at the weeds and walking waste deep to make a channel to drag the boat through).

Time for a beer after the afternoons work!

On the land after all the air was released.
Old 01 November 2013, 08:43   #4

great pics Huffie

looks like you have your work cut out sorting the rib, but guess it will clean up nice, and go well with a 90 Yam, keep the pics coming so we can see how your getting on

nice landrover too, just right for towing the rib
Old 01 November 2013, 08:45   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Caton View Post
great pics Huffie

looks like you have your work cut out sorting the rib, but guess it will clean up nice, and go well with a 90 Yam, keep the pics coming so we can see how your getting on

nice landrover too, just right for towing the rib
- Thanks Chris, I have no idea where to start or how to go about fixing all the punctures, restoring the tubes etc. Any tips on where to start. I a quick learner and good with my hands ?! Just need telling what to do.
Old 01 November 2013, 08:54   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huffie View Post
- Thanks Chris, I have no idea where to start or how to go about fixing all the punctures, restoring the tubes etc. Any tips on where to start. I a quick learner and good with my hands ?! Just need telling what to do.
fixing leaks ain't my strong point, but I guess someone will be along very soon with some good advice on where to start, do you know what material the tubes are made from, hypalon or pvc as repair methods are different for both. good news is that the tubes do hold air for a while so should be repairable. have you checked it's not just the valves that are leaking, try blowing the tubes up hard and using soapy water look for the bubbles, especially round the valve. valves are usually straight forward to sort out, maybe just need stripping down and cleaning, rebuilding will sort some / all of your problems
Old 01 November 2013, 09:01   #7

Quote:
fixing leaks ain't my strong point, but I guess someone will be along very soon with some good advice on where to start, do you know what material the tubes are made from, hypalon or pvc as repair methods are different for both. good news is that the tubes do hold air for a while so should be repairable. have you checked it's not just the valves that are leaking, try blowing the tubes up hard and using soapy water look for the bubbles, especially round the valve. valves are usually straight forward to sort out, maybe just need stripping down and cleaning, rebuilding will sort some / all of your problems
Its good news that you don't think its a lost cause, I had no idea! I need to buy a pump, finding one in Nairobi is impossible. I cleaned it with some hot soapy water last night, all be it with no air in the tubes and she's looking better. I'll go take some more pictures now - try to incise people to the thread!
Old 01 November 2013, 09:06   #8

First 20 minute clean, hose pipe and a sponge

The cracks, about 3inches by 2 inches each.

three of the values look like this

Not sure whats this is called but its the bit that raises up the motor and lowers it. Apparently its dead and i need a new one, whats it called?? How much are replacements?

Engine bits

And again
Old 01 November 2013, 09:45   #9

Town: Bucks
Boat name: Blue & Ding Dong
Make: Ribeye,SR4 & Bombard
Length: 6m +
Engine: 115,50 & 15Hp Yams
Hi it's a power trim and tilt, very expensive to replace but well worth having a go at repairing your self.
One of my jobs to do on my Yami 50 is to strip down the power tilt as it drops down over night if left
Tubes look much better after the wash, need to get some air in them and with all that gunk around them makes me think they may be your problem!
If you do not have a pump, one idea would make up a set of bellows would be straight forward to do, or if you have a vacuum cleaner the revers the polarity on the motor so it blows in stead of sucks
Or one other idea would be to use the exhaust from the Landy to blow it up, works on lifting air jacks!
Is the floor fibreglass?
Great engine those yami 90s
Nick Hearne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 November 2013, 09:46   #10

Length: no boat
RIBase
Engine bits

Owners Manuals | Yamaha Outboards

If you go on the Yamaha Outboards website there is also a good number of support pages on early models plus free manuals. I also found good help on the Q&A section.

Good luck on the restoration! Great place Kenya - but watch out for the crocs!!
Old 01 November 2013, 09:59   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by indaba1991 View Post
Engine bits

If you go on the Yamaha Outboards website there is also a good number of support pages on early models plus free manuals. I also found good help on the Q&A section.

Cheers guys great stuff. And Hippos are the issue not so much crocs - had a close encounter while dragging this old girl out the marsh! We had 12 people in that boat very quickly!

Will check out the yamaha site.
Old 01 November 2013, 10:03   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Hearne View Post
Hi it's a power trim and tilt, very expensive to replace but well worth having a go at repairing your self.
One of my jobs to do on my Yami 50 is to strip down the power tilt as it drops down over night if left
Tubes look much better after the wash, need to get some air in them and with all that gunk around them makes me think they may be your problem!
If you do not have a pump, one idea would make up a set of bellows would be straight forward to do, or if you have a vacuum cleaner the revers the polarity on the motor so it blows in stead of sucks
Or one other idea would be to use the exhaust from the Landy to blow it up, works on lifting air jacks!
Is the floor fibreglass?
Great engine those yami 90s
I like the land idea! We don't have hoovers here they have not made the trip across the sea. - Could make it using some hose pipe and tape?!
Old 01 November 2013, 10:05   #13

Town: Bromsgrove
Boat name: Kick-Ass !
Make: PAC/Artic 22
Engine: 250hp Yamaha
Loving the scenery , now that's a find out there,,
Old 01 November 2013, 10:26   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by indaba1991 View Post
Engine bits

I have no idea what year this thing is - the serial number plaque has these numbers:
90A6T0 /
6HI / L / 479185

Any clues?
Old 01 November 2013, 11:44   #15

looks like you are going to be busy for a while

as someone else has said, looks like 1st place to start looking for your air leaks is around the valves, lots of horrible old glue round there

guess the pic is showing damage to the floor, can't really tell what it's made of, will take a bit of sorting out, looks like something heavy been dropped on it from a fair height

can you put a 12v supply onto the motor to see if the power trim / tilt moves either way, should give you an idea what the problem is

let's know how you get on
Old 01 November 2013, 11:48   #16

Quote:
looks like you are going to be busy for a while

as someone else has said, looks like 1st place to start looking for your air leaks is around the valves, lots of horrible old glue round there

guess the pic is showing damage to the floor, can't really tell what it's made of, will take a bit of sorting out, looks like something heavy been dropped on it from a fair height

can you put a 12v supply onto the motor to see if the power trim / tilt moves either way, should give you an idea what the problem is

let's know how you get on
Floors double layered fibreglass from looking at it.

Going to need to find some to walk me round the engine no idea what goes where... I know its water cooled but no idea where the waters meant to enter or exit
Old 01 November 2013, 11:56   #17

post some good pics of the damage to the floor, someone will give you an idea where to start with that job

same goes for the engine, post some pics showing the complete outboard then we can see what's there or missing. I could be wrong, won't be the 1st time, but engine details are usually on a plate on the trim / tilt engine bracket, the bit that bolts to the transom and the engine itself mounts to, but the pics will help
Old 01 November 2013, 12:39   #18

Town: Helsinki
Boat name: Helena II / Avon
Make: Prestige Brio,SR 4.7
Engine: Yamaha F25 & 90/2S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huffie View Post
I have no idea what year this thing is - the serial number plaque has these numbers:
90A6T0 /
6HI / L / 479185

Any clues?
Try this:

and for the RIB:
althoug your boat is propably made in South Afrika where they sold their rights to ?
Old 01 November 2013, 14:21   #19

Town: Chorley / Holyhead
Boat name: Northwind Challenger
Make: Tornado
Engine: Mariner 115 efi CT
MMSI: 235080598
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to Festinghouse
how well does your postal system work? is it possible for you to buy all the bits needed online? if so then there is no reason why you cant get this boat to a good workable spec.
Old 01 November 2013, 18:11   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festinghouse View Post
how well does your postal system work? is it possible for you to buy all the bits needed online? if so then there is no reason why you cant get this boat to a good workable spec.
Well I'm not really sure what I need. I can use ebay in the UK then get a courier to send it over. But need to buy it all in one package to make it worth while. Anyone want to compile a shopping list for me?!

Also I pumped up the tubes today and found that most of the valves are leaking loads and that there is a decent leak in the front right, I covered it with some tape and it stayed pumped for 2 hours or so.

Even now - 4 hours later - its still got 80% of its air, the front maybe 50%. Quite happy with that as i thought it would be like swiss cheese.

Tags
rib