Old 30 December 2003, 21:38   #1

my first rib (searider)

hello

just bought my first rib which i pick up on saturday. its a 4m searider and in good nick. the hull no. is 300 and something, has any one got any idea how old this will be. also what is the elephant trunk thing, some kind of self bailer?

bought the rib with no engine so i need a 50, thing is i have a 40 jonson on my shetland cadet. if i put this on the rib temporarily what kind of top end can i expect. there is a guy on boats and outboards claiming 35kn on a 40hp, but i think this is pie in the sky, what do you think?

cheers

smokinmojofilter
Old 30 December 2003, 21:46   #2

Town: Stockholm
Boat name: Osprey & Ring
Make: Osprey & Ring
Length: 9m +
Engine: Plenty
Attache a pic when you recive boat, you are right about the elephant trunk it`s a self bailer but it`s only working when you drive the boat.
Our boats in Sweden are always in the water so we need a electric bilgepump also, otherwise boat is full of water after a couple of days in this rainy country (not that bad during the summers)
Good luck with boat.
Old 30 December 2003, 22:14   #3

thanks petrov, will do
Old 31 December 2003, 07:59   #4

Town: Pwllheli-North Wales
Boat name: V-ONE
Make: Highfield
Length: 8m +
Engine: Honda 250hp
Hi

A 40hp will be great, phil Davies off the forum as a 30hp honda on the back of his. It goes great.
Old 31 December 2003, 08:05   #5

Town: Cardiff
Make: Humber Destroyer 5.5
Length: 5m +
Engine: 90hp OB
Mojo

The avon spec for a SR4M state a usefull hp of 25 - 40 with a max of 50.

I have a 55hp on my 5.2m (not a searider though) and it tops out at around 32 knots 1 up but full of fuel. So I would have thought a 40 on a 4 metre should easily get you to around the 30 knot mark - there are a few 4m Searider owners on so they they will probably answer.

Do you know if your boat has a flooding hull ? as you will need a bit of oomph (techy term) to get it up on the plane and empty the water if it is flooding - but I would imagine a 40 would be up for it.
Old 31 December 2003, 11:31   #6

yeah, its got a flooding hull, but that could be changed easily enough in a couple of hours. From reading back posts it seems some people like it to flood and some like to block it. For my purposes stationary/low speed stability will not be all that important.

if the hull is blocked off is there not the danger of water finding its way in, but not being able to get back out, leading to a constantly heavy boat?
Old 31 December 2003, 12:47   #7

Town: Port Logan
Boat name: Red Fox
Make: Zodiac Pro 500
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yamaha 70hp
MMSI: 232004329
I get over 30mph according to the dial on the console and up to 35/38mph when conditions are right and have a 40 4stroke on a 4.2m zodiac. The punch on lift off should be enough to drain the flooded hull. Get the 40 on and give it a go before spending £££.
What's the conversion from mph to knotts again??
Old 31 December 2003, 12:55   #8

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Divide by 1.15.
Old 01 January 2004, 13:04   #9

Town: south shields
Boat name: jessiesue
Make: avon searider
Length: 4m
Engine: 40hp mariner pull start l/s
happy new year everyone,i have a 4m searider with a mariner 40 l/s i have no idea what the top speed is as i don't have a speedo, but i have just bought a gps so the next time i am out i should be able to tell, all i will say is that your boat with a 40 on the back is fast enough for any body. it will give an excellent ride with more than enough in reserve.

regards
Old 05 January 2004, 00:05   #10

got a loan of an old 30 mariner tiller steer. got 28knt (gps) quite scary with a tiller steer though. much faster than i expected.

in original post i said 35 kn with a 40hp was "pie in the sky" but now i may stand corrected.
Old 05 January 2004, 10:58   #11

Town: Southampton
Boat name: SMH Rib / War Shot
Make: Ribtec / Scorpion
Engine: 100hp Yam/150hp opt
RIBase
If I remember correctly I think I got about 37/39 knots on the GPS on my 4m Searider, two up, two cans of fuel with a 50hp Yamaha 2 stroke.
This was with my big prop. With the smaller prop that came with the boat the top speed was not as good and the engine sounded awful (over-revving). However, with the big prop it didn't really want to plane with more than 3 in the boat. No problem with the smaller prop though.

If you do try the engine from your Shetland watch the revs as the propeller may be a finer (smaller) pitch than ideal.

Seariders - top boats and I think that the 4m is a real hooligan.

By the way - saw a couple of chaps yesterday going to Cowes - one in a 4m searider with a 40hp 4s and the other in a 3.45 with a 30hp 2s anyone on here?

Duncan
Old 07 January 2004, 16:20   #12

Town: Salisbury
Length: 5m +
Searider is sooooooooooooo good

I have the pleasure of owning a 4 metre Searider with a 50 two stroke and its superb , loves the lumpy stuff and gives loads of confidence. Out of the few ribs I have owned up to 6 metres this is my favorite.

If you want to block off the flooding hull , best to fit a dinghy type circular removable hatch , which then gives you the option to simply remove it when you want it back as a flooding hull.

You would also have to block off front breather holes to completely seal it, howver blocking off the flooding hull you will miss out on that sinking noice every time you come to a halt.

Cant say I notice it , as mine pulls away superbly, if you wanted more grunt for waterskiing then it would probably make sense to keep hull from flooding.

Please remember this flooded hull at trolling speeds in very bad conditions will give the boat more stability
Old 07 January 2004, 20:42   #13

Town: Carterton, Oxon
Boat name: Trigger's Broom
Make: FRib
Engine: Suzuki 15hp 2/s
Send a message via Yahoo to Noddy
I have a Honda 40 4 stroke on mine and it whacks along at an average 30 kts withoug even trying!! reckon yours must be mid 80's if it is No 300. I bought three last year ending up with the one I have now. What steering set up does yours have, console or speed boat style?
Old 07 January 2004, 20:49   #14

Town: Carterton, Oxon
Boat name: Trigger's Broom
Make: FRib
Engine: Suzuki 15hp 2/s
Send a message via Yahoo to Noddy
Hi Searider
Bit of a co-incidence I have a Searider with a Honda 40 and went to IOW with my mate Nick who has a boat fitting the other's description. However that was way back in October.
I normally launch at Lee on Solent and camp at Gosport but have just found another camp site at Warsash and believe I can launch into the "Itchen there"? As a local is that right?
Old 07 January 2004, 23:07   #15

Town: Southampton
Boat name: SMH Rib / War Shot
Make: Ribtec / Scorpion
Engine: 100hp Yam/150hp opt
RIBase
Quote:
Originally posted by Noddy
Hi Searider
Bit of a co-incidence I have a Searider with a Honda 40 and went to IOW with my mate Nick who has a boat fitting the other's description. However that was way back in October.
I normally launch at Lee on Solent and camp at Gosport but have just found another camp site at Warsash and believe I can launch into the "Itchen there"? As a local is that right?
Noddy,

If you're camping in Warsash there is a free slipway into the River Hamble (not Itchen) at Warsash. I've not used the slip as i am on the other side of the river but see lots of people using it so i guess it must be OK.

The 4m I saw at the weekend had a Yam 40 not a Honda.

Duncan
Old 07 January 2004, 23:26   #16

Town: Brittany/Portsmouth
Boat name: Merlin
Make: Solent 6.5
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200
MMSI: soon !
The warsash slip is a good one but close to high tide it has a small gradiant so the trailer need to be pushed down the slip 20/30 yrds at times.

On a spring in really moves fast as its shallow from 3/4 to full tide - can catch you out. It has me

can you camp or is it just caravans
pAUL
Old 08 January 2004, 14:29   #17

Town: S.wales
Boat name: ASBO
Make: Ceasar Thundercat
Engine: 50 Tohatsu
Hello mojo
I'm the guy with the searider on boats & outboards. guess having read the last few posts you may not think it's so much Pie in the sky anymore, although 35 knots was on a gps and one up on a flat calm. Goes to show that a modern fourstroke can produce as much punch if not more than an old twostroke of the same size.
bin your old elephants trunk and get hold of an auto bailer with a ping pong ball type setup(cant remember the correct terminology.)
When in the water the ball blocks the hole and prevents the hull flooding(as long as the forward holes are blocked also) When pulling away the ball falls away allowing any water entering via the external drain hole to drain as per design. Have to reiterate everyone elses comments, the 4.0 searider is one hell of a rib.

PS anyone interested she's still for sale any REASONABLE offer acepted
Old 13 January 2004, 06:09   #18

humble pie

bob

if you check the last post on the previous page you will see i admitted i was most likely wrong about my pie in the sky claim.
i had no previous experience with a rib and based it on similar sized fibreglass boats. I got 28kn GPS with a 30 with a tiny prop and no trim adjustment (the pin was siezed)

where would i aquire one of these "ping pong ball" bailers as ive never seen one before and and most of the chandlers in my area are mainly for yotties.

smokinmojofilter