Old 26 June 2010, 13:16   #1

Town: New Jersey
Make: 733
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yanmar
My first RIB!

Hi All,
After doing alot of research, I just picked up my first rib, and it is definitely a project. It's a yachtline 310. I plan on doing all of the rebuild myself. It needs some gelcoat repair and to reglue the tubes onto the hull. Other than that, it just needs a good cleaning. The tubes seem to be holding air just fine. A few pics are attached.

I have been doing research, but still have a few questions.

I have attached a pic of some cracks in the gelcoat/fiberglass. For the small nicks, i'll just fill them with epoxy, but along the side where the bottom and top of the hulls meet it is cracked. Any advice on how to repair this?

Also, where the transom merges into the hull seems to be cracking. I can't tell if it is just the gelcoat or more. Should I be concerned?

Is this boat pvc or hypalon? So I know which glue to buy. Also, is there a different glue to glue the tubes onto the hull?

I know it's alot, but I figured i'll ask all at once so maybe some people with alot of experience could help answer my questions.

I look forward to your responses and getting this thing in the water!

thanks
Sean
Old 26 June 2010, 13:26   #2

pics
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1050430.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	52262  
Old 26 June 2010, 13:34   #3

Old 26 June 2010, 16:17   #4

Boat name: Mk2
Make: Zodiac
Length: 4m +
Engine: 7.5hp Honda 4stroke
Wow...that's a big project...imho. Maybe I am just a whimp...I get intimidated by my sib with a leaky valve or two.

God Speed
Old 26 June 2010, 17:33   #5

Town: Windsor CT
Boat name: Blue Moon
Make: ribcraft 6.5
Length: 6m +
Engine: 150 hp honda
MMSI: 338051172
Basket case zodiac

Welcome Sean,
Yikes, I hope you didn't pay much money for it. Most likely your boat is PVC, If in doubt look at the fabric, if it is the same color on the inside as the outside and a flashlight shines through it, it is PVC. Hypalon would be black on the inside.
What you have is not that unusual for an older PVC zodiac. I had a small zodiac SIB with similar issues. I finally gave up and sold it for $25 at a tag sale. I hope you have better luck. If you do a search I'm sure there are a load of threads from guys who were able to do the repair.
Good luck.
Bill www.eclecticwonders.com uncommon art
Old 27 June 2010, 15:20   #6

Thanks for the info, yea i got it really cheap just to have as a project. I'll post pics as the restoration is completed.
Old 07 November 2010, 13:27   #7

Update: I completely reglued the tubes to the hull. It took some preparation, but overall wasn't too bad. Here are a few pics. I did it mid July, and used the boat for the rest of the season a few times a week. I just stopped going out last week (1st week of november) because its getting too cold- even with a wetsuit. Took it out in the surf a bunch of times. Even flipped it in 8 foot surf, messing around (that was fun!) I was able to kill the motor before we flipped totally so the motor was fine. With 15hp, this thing is fun! 21mph loaded with 2 people and 75lbs of gas and fishing gear. 3 people put it over the limit of being able to plane. with just me, and no gear i got 24 mph, which is too fast for this boat.

Its safe to say i'm hooked on ribs, and I'm in the market for something bigger (a 5.4 searider maybe??)

For those looking to glue pvc boats, i'll describe how i did it.

For those of us in the US, where bostik products are very rare, I used a product called stabond. I ordered it from NRS. There are many writeups on how to use these glues, and i cant stress enough to follow them strictly. I used it to bond the pvc to pvc and also to bond the pvc to the fiberglass hull.

The time was in the preparation. It took me alot of hours to sand / grind off all the old glue. I used a dremel with a bunch of different attachments, an orbital sander with 60 grit paper. there is no easy way around it, youll need to spend time grinding it off, and gently to prevent grinding the actual pvc away, which i did in a few spots. once that was done, i purchased new pvc material from my local zodiac dealer to make new attachment strips.

I used a dehumidifier in the room to lower the humidity as much as possible. With the hygrometer really low, it was time to start gluing. The fumes sucked, but i had a fan in a window blowing out to try and help. Once both pieces have a few coats and are allowed to dry for 15 mins, when you stick those two together they will not come apart very easily. It took me 7 hours to completely reglue it while sticking to 3 coats of glue and the time inbetween pieces.

take your time and do it right! I abused the heck out of this boat the entire summer, and it took everything i threw at it. Can't wait for my next project.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1050486.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	49.5 KB
ID:	55398   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1050477.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	55399   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1050501.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	45.0 KB
ID:	55400  
Old 07 November 2010, 13:30   #8

pic
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1050483.jpg
Views:	297
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	55401  
Old 07 November 2010, 13:44   #9

Town: jersey
Boat name: Martini II
Make: Arctic 28/FC470
Length: 8m +
Engine: twin 225Opti/50hp 2t
MMSI: 235067688
Excellent use of the sitting room, like it
Old 07 November 2010, 15:55   #10

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by martini View Post
Excellent use of the sitting room, like it
Was going to say the same thing. Thought I saw an engine hoist. Quick double-take confirms it's an engine hoist. Top bloke 95gstnj!
Old 11 November 2010, 14:11   #11

Town: Basingstoke
Boat name: True Spirit
Make: Ribeye 785 Sport
Engine: Yamaha 250
Project

If you like a project i have a 5 year old Bombard Ax300 rib perferct condition except water got in to the transom which is Marine ply and its rotted, so if you want another project make me an offer.
Old 21 November 2010, 01:51   #12

Hmmmm. If I was 3000 miles closer I'd think about it!
Old 27 November 2010, 20:54   #13

Town: kilmarnock
Length: 3m +
sikaflex on hypalon

Like you i bought a cheap project rib in my case an AX300 by Bombard the problem with this is the wooden transom is soggy at one side to about the middle.ive removed, templated and recut a new one from marine ply,could you suggest a cheaper option than hypalon glue to reseal the transom in place.i was going to use sikaflex marine grade but as this is my first rib im out of ideas any comments welcome from anyone with experience
Old 28 November 2010, 08:38   #14

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Tornado
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: 250hp Suzuki
Quote:
Originally Posted by spartacus View Post
Was going to say the same thing. Thought I saw an engine hoist. Quick double-take confirms it's an engine hoist. Top bloke 95gstnj!
So is there any other use for the lounge ? ............... Fantastic, I think that might cost me a divorce if I tried it, and thats alot more expensive than most/all Ribs !