Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 05 January 2009, 14:26   #1
RIBnet supporter
 
Ian M's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: New Milton
Boat name: Jianna
Make: Osprey
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200 E-TEC
MMSI: 235076954
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 1,937
Musto

Got any Musto gear, like it? Well make the most of it, because according the to manager of the local Musto shop, Musto are moving out of 'Technical' clothing, and moving into 'the leisure and countryside scene' (not my words!).
Apparently there is little to be made in technical clothing. He explained all this when I tried and failed to get a minor repair done on a pair of MPX trousers, something which he had promised could be done in the quiet season!
Seems all the manufacturing is now done in China, and the clothing only comes out of that country as complete garments, so no spare 'bits' are available for repairs.
Shame, I really liked what they produced.
__________________
Ian

Dust creation specialist
Ian M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 January 2009, 16:20   #2
Member
 
ashbypower's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Salisbury
Boat name: Blue C
Make: XS 600
Length: 6m +
Engine: 125hp Opti
MMSI: 235082826/235909566
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 1,439
Ian we have a contract with a repairers who do drysuitrepair for us, he also repairs a lot of crewsaver and musto products for them PM me if u wanna know more mate
__________________

__________________
Brian C
APS Marine Centre
ashbypower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 January 2009, 16:31   #3
Member
 
m chappelow's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: yorkshire
Boat name: little vicky
Make: avon ex RNLI
Length: 3m +
Engine: tohatsu
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 2,310
musto have been in the leisure and country clothing re equestrian side of things for a long time now must be over 10 years if not longer ,when i bought my musto suit it came with 2 pieces of spare fabric for repairs,funny thought i would never need them until i tore a hole last year.
__________________
m chappelow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 January 2009, 17:18   #4
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Boat name: SOLD
Length: under 3m
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 794
I think the original musto company was bought out 2007/2008
and i think you are right there is no money in tec stuff, the horse riding side makes far more profit than sailing.
If you think Ribs are expensive
trying owning a Horse (Not a race horse) then look at shows like Horse of the Year that are sold out months in advance and you can see where the real money is, shame because i love there stuff its the highlight of my day when we go to Bicester Village
__________________
Roy Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 January 2009, 04:59   #5
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Gloucestershire
Boat name: Osprey
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 5m +
Engine: E-tec 300 G2
MMSI: TBC
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 4,015
I also have a bit of Musto gear and it is good however I cant fault Gil either and there customer svc is very good. I sent them a pair of 2 year old Key west salopettes that had started to let the damp in round the arse area and they changed them for a brand new pair no issues. I had no receipt either.
__________________
---------------------------------------------------
Chris Stevens

Born fiddler
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 January 2009, 06:51   #6
RIBnet supporter
 
Ian M's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: New Milton
Boat name: Jianna
Make: Osprey
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200 E-TEC
MMSI: 235076954
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 1,937
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
I also have a bit of Musto gear and it is good however I cant fault Gil either and there customer svc is very good. I sent them a pair of 2 year old Key west salopettes that had started to let the damp in round the arse area and they changed them for a brand new pair no issues. I had no receipt either.
Good to know
__________________
Ian

Dust creation specialist
Ian M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 January 2009, 13:31   #7
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Hedge End
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 34
I have loads of musto kit that good. They arent moving away from the marine market that im aware....
Most of the fabrics used are they same and used by different clothing manufacturers
__________________
Blizzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 January 2009, 06:40   #8
RIBnet supporter
 
Ian M's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: New Milton
Boat name: Jianna
Make: Osprey
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200 E-TEC
MMSI: 235076954
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 1,937
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blizzard View Post
I have loads of musto kit that good. They arent moving away from the marine market that im aware....
Most of the fabrics used are they same and used by different clothing manufacturers
Like I said, the guy who told me had "Musto" in big bold letters on the front of his shop. I think that should qualify him as "the horses mouth".
__________________
Ian

Dust creation specialist
Ian M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 January 2009, 12:20   #9
RAD
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Essex
Boat name: Club Boat
Length: no boat
Engine: Yam 40hp
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
I also have a bit of Musto gear and it is good however I cant fault Gil either and there customer svc is very good. I sent them a pair of 2 year old Key west salopettes that had started to let the damp in round the arse area and they changed them for a brand new pair no issues. I had no receipt either.
Agree with the Gill bit. Very pleased when I sent back a pair of boots,not as old as yours but still replaced. After all, if you dont send them back, and buy another, how are they going to get their products right if they dont know where they are going wrong?
__________________
RAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 January 2009, 14:30   #10
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: N. Devon
Boat name: Nutkin Too
Make: X-Pro Defender
Length: 5m +
Engine: Outboard, Suzuki 90
MMSI: 235095884
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,457
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian M View Post
when I tried and failed to get a minor repair done on a pair of MPX trousers, .

I know a couple of great dry suit repairers that would be able to sort these out for you.
Polar Bears on 01566 773654 - ask for Dave

Or
Dry Suit Dave on +44(0)7887 907383 or email dave@drysuitrepair.co.uk


Andy
__________________
treerat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 January 2009, 09:15   #11
RIBnet supporter
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Romsey
Boat name: Longdog
Make: Humber
Length: 7m +
Engine: 150 opti
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian M View Post
Got any Musto gear, like it? Well make the most of it, because according the to manager of the local Musto shop, Musto are moving out of 'Technical' clothing, and moving into 'the leisure and countryside scene' (not my words!).
Apparently there is little to be made in technical clothing. He explained all this when I tried and failed to get a minor repair done on a pair of MPX trousers, something which he had promised could be done in the quiet season!
Seems all the manufacturing is now done in China, and the clothing only comes out of that country as complete garments, so no spare 'bits' are available for repairs.
Shame, I really liked what they produced.
Hmmm,
As an employee of Musto I can ASSURE YOU BEYOND ALL DOUBT that Musto is NOT moving out of the Technical Marine market.
Musto has 3 areas of business

Marine - where it all started back in 1964

Country - Shooting and Equestrian these two sides of the business have been running for over 20 years. The Musto family are heavily involved in the design of this range in particular.


Lifestyle - This is a newer area of the business and is taking the Musto name and reputation to the high street. This range is styled on both marine and country themes, and as such is completely reliant on our reputation as the best Sailing, Shooting and Equestrian brand in the world.

I hope this has put to rest any fears that people may have!
__________________
ktnv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 January 2009, 15:31   #12
RIBnet supporter
 
Ian M's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: New Milton
Boat name: Jianna
Make: Osprey
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200 E-TEC
MMSI: 235076954
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 1,937
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktnv View Post
Hmmm,
As an employee of Musto I can ASSURE YOU BEYOND ALL DOUBT that Musto is NOT moving out of the Technical Marine market.
Musto has 3 areas of business

Marine - where it all started back in 1964

Country - Shooting and Equestrian these two sides of the business have been running for over 20 years. The Musto family are heavily involved in the design of this range in particular.


Lifestyle - This is a newer area of the business and is taking the Musto name and reputation to the high street. This range is styled on both marine and country themes, and as such is completely reliant on our reputation as the best Sailing, Shooting and Equestrian brand in the world.

I hope this has put to rest any fears that people may have!
Good to hear. Perhaps you should be advising your store managers of this
If Musto are still so heavily involved in all their traditional markets, why are repairs through the supplying dealers now not possible. (or is this b_______ks too?)
__________________
Ian

Dust creation specialist
Ian M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2009, 09:50   #13
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: SE England
Length: 6m +
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 58
Just called in at the Musto stand at the Boat Show.
As stated above they have no plans to move out of the Marine marketplace.
They were very surprised that there was even a suggestion they were allegedley withdrawing
__________________
Scoobysnax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2009, 12:53   #14
Member
 
Bigmuz7's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: Glasgow
Boat name: stramash
Make: Tornado
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 90
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 5,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy Smith View Post
i think you are right there is no money in tec stuff, the horse riding side makes far more profit than sailing.
If you think Ribs are expensive trying owning a Horse (Not a race horse) then look at shows like Horse of the Year that are sold out months in advance and you can see where the real money is,

Err dunno about that... If you want a pair of wellies , you can go down your builders merchant and get a pair for less than a tenner,.. look for a pair in a yachtie mag and you'll pay up to 200 Sure they are hi tech but isnt it amazing how something simple like keeping your feet dry can vary in cost so much.
__________________
Bigmuz7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2009, 06:06   #15
Member
 
m chappelow's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: yorkshire
Boat name: little vicky
Make: avon ex RNLI
Length: 3m +
Engine: tohatsu
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 2,310
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmuz7 View Post
Err dunno about that... If you want a pair of wellies , you can go down your builders merchant and get a pair for less than a tenner,.. look for a pair in a yachtie mag and you'll pay up to 200 Sure they are hi tech but isnt it amazing how something simple like keeping your feet dry can vary in cost so much.
yes but they wont have marine or ocean printed on them ,
__________________
m chappelow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2009, 06:55   #16
Member
 
Doug Stormforce's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Southampton
Boat name: Yoda & Obi Wan
Make: Valiant 750 & XS600
Length: 7m +
Engine: 150, 115 HP
MMSI: Various
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 1,031
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmuz7 View Post
Err dunno about that... If you want a pair of wellies , you can go down your builders merchant and get a pair for less than a tenner,.. look for a pair in a yachtie mag and you'll pay up to 200 Sure they are hi tech but isnt it amazing how something simple like keeping your feet dry can vary in cost so much.
Ive got a pair of Musto HPX Ocean wellies, had them since 2006. I belive they retailed at 210 at the time, however we bought them through our corporate account so a little cheaper.

They are without a doubt one of the best bits of kit I have every bought. (I rate them alonside my Musto Ocean Smock, my Tornado RIB, my Leatherman, my Maglite and my old VW Golf. None of this kit ever failed me).

Before that i had Dubarrys (about 130 ish now)- also a good bit of kit but a disaster if they got salt water in them. They were great for ribbing in the Solent and inshore yacht racing and very warm in the winter. On the rare occasion they got sea water in them a rinse through followed by a night full of news paper by the heater sorted them out. I rate them far better than my previous 30 sailing wellies.

When I did the Round Britian and Ireland Race in 06 (sail, non stop). I took a wave in each wellie just before the start line. The result was wet feet for 8 days. I vowed a lot of things during the beat up the West cost of Ireland and Scotland. One was never to be sea for long lengths of time with wet feet ever again. Within days of finishing I had ordered the HPX Oceans. Next race was Cowes to Cascias (Portugal). Western approches to the English Channel were horible (about 9 full time professional offshore race crew throwing up sort of horrible). The Ocean boots had prooved themselves on their first outing, 5 days later arriving in Portugal I had bone dry feet.

There are alternatives to the Musto Oceans but if I lost these I would replece with exactly the same without giving it any thought.

Those on here who know me personally know Im not akin to wild expenditure but I belive you have got to be warm and dry at sea. A 10 pair of wellies will not do that for you in the winter in the UK.
__________________
STORMFORCE COACHING
web - www.stormforce.biz
email - coaching@stormforce.biz
tel - 02380 231122
Doug Stormforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2009, 11:54   #17
Member
 
Bigmuz7's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: Glasgow
Boat name: stramash
Make: Tornado
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 90
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 5,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Stormforce View Post
A 10 pair of wellies will not do that for you in the winter in the UK.
Couldnt agree more, my point was that there must be plenty of money in sailing gear when you see how much it costs, and I dont think the horsey set take home all the medals when you see some of the kit that we have to go along with our boats , but sometimes you wonder how much of it is hyped/margined up because its got a sailing connection. I mean you could buy a set of bib pants for 50 .. perfectly good ones .. and then pay 300 for a pair that do pretty much the same job
__________________

__________________
Bigmuz7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:40.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×