Click Here to Login

Old 25 July 2014, 11:41   #1
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Musing over future Round Britain trips...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUMBER P4VWL View Post
I'm so jealous of them all, I'd love to do this trip if time and £ allowed. Have fun guys!
I guess the idea appeals to lots of people here, who find "excuses" not to do it. For anyone who has your size of rib its perfectly doable with some planning and the costs aren't that high (for a typical employed, home owning, nice car driving, middle class RIBnetter) if you plan/save over time and share with a crew member etc - roughly £1k each?.

The reality though is that there are probably more enjoyable ways to spend that time/money - even on a RIB. Its an achievement for the boat, the crew and the engine to make it round - but really there's nothing stopping you if you'd love to do it.
Old 25 July 2014, 14:08   #2

Town: Norfolk/Suffolk Borders
Make: no boat
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
I guess the idea appeals to lots of people here, who find "excuses" not to do it. For anyone who has your size of rib its perfectly doable with some planning and the costs aren't that high (for a typical employed, home owning, nice car driving, middle class RIBnetter) if you plan/save over time and share with a crew member etc - roughly £1k each?.

The reality though is that there are probably more enjoyable ways to spend that time/money - even on a RIB. Its an achievement for the boat, the crew and the engine to make it round - but really there's nothing stopping you if you'd love to do it.
Blimey Poly , isn't that a tad harsh ? I too would love to do a RB but individual circumstances are not always condusive ......However , I have just retired , and if a small group fancied a crack at it next year , I'd certainly be up for it ( as long as SHMBO gave me the OK.......! )
Old 25 July 2014, 16:43   #3

Town: N Wales Chester
Boat name: Mr Smith
Make: Humber
Length: 6m +
Round Britain 4 Macmillan

Good to hear guys

Poly, always a fan of your work ;-) yes I know the boat is good for it, and yes all things are possible, I've organised 4 Round Anglesey cruises against adversity, but the three limiting (but not excluding I accept) factors are:
1. 1k saved would be spent by the missus on a family holiday/home/kids
2. Being employed means it'd be hard to get the time to do it as hol's are limited and need to be booked in making weather windows difficult
3. My current navigational skills/experience aren't good enough IMHO

Have to put my mind to it I guess!

Wouldn't mind catching up with some of those who have done it though for some ideas of how difficult it would be logistically with a 2 smoke and how to plan. Particularly Gilles for obvious reasons.
Old 25 July 2014, 16:44   #4

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bern Hanreck View Post
Blimey Poly , isn't that a tad harsh ..! )
Aye, but fair😄

.....sh1t happens.......
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2014, 17:41   #5
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Blimey Poly , isn't that a tad harsh ? I too would love to do a RB but individual circumstances are not always condusive ......However , I have just retired , and if a small group fancied a crack at it next year , I'd certainly be up for it ( as long as SHMBO gave me the OK.......! )
It wasn't really meant to be harsh. Its was as much a reflection on why I haven't done it as pointing out to Paul that if he really wants to do it the only thing stopping him is himself.
Old 25 July 2014, 18:02   #6

Town: swanwick/hamble
Boat name: stormchaser
Make: custom rib
Length: 8m +
Engine: inboard/diesel
We are all entitled to an opinion but should never comment on something that they don't fully understand, money is just an excuse not to do something, does this sound familiar with anyone, ie, how can we afford that mortgage, or, bugger, pregnant, we can't afford if, any of you ? , it still happens though doesn't it.
Until you've done this trip you have no idea the joy, apprehension, elation, proudness, it can bring and I will defy anyone who tells me that are not a different person for doing it.
If everyone had the attitude that they have better things to do, spend there time on or money on, then we might possibly still think the earth was flat and we would fall off it over the horizon.
Exploring is in our blood/ DNA and my opinion is, if you've lost this passion, hankering to do this type of jaunt then you are a lesser person that you were designed to be
Old 25 July 2014, 18:53   #7

Town: Wirral & Caernarfon
Boat name: That's Enuff
Make: Revenger & Avon SR4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Honda 150HP & 50HP
what you talking about Biff, corse the earths flat next you'll be telling Father Christmas is a fat ol bloke in a frock
Old 25 July 2014, 20:00   #8

Quote:
Good to hear guys

Poly, always a fan of your work ;-)
Someone has to be I guess!!

Quote:
yes I know the boat is good for it, and yes all things are possible, I've organised 4 Round Anglesey cruises against adversity, but the three limiting (but not excluding I accept) factors are:
1. 1k saved would be spent by the missus on a family holiday/home/kids
True. BUT If you planned for this over the next 3 years, and aimed to save £1500 (inflation, extra boat upgrades, contingency plan for when the gearbox fails half way round and you need to get transport back and then take the trailer back up etc, replacing the VHF when you get bounced in the drink etc...) So £500 a year. Sounds a lot. Open a savings account and set it to move £10 a week and I'd bet you'd never notice! £2 a day at work - I could save by taking my own sandwiches instead of buying them at work! Not everyone is in my shoes - plenty of my staff couldn't afford to buy sandwiches every day. Plenty of my staff couldn't afford to own a RIB!
Quote:
2. Being employed means it'd be hard to get the time to do it as hol's are limited and need to be booked in making weather windows difficult
True. BUT planned in advance you would be able to take 2 weeks off. Thats the timescale these boys are running to. Now for me I'd want to do it in 6 weeks or more to savour the good bits... But these guys are working to a fixed time frame set a year in advance. I'd guess a bit of studying weather maps would reveal typically good weather windows. But always a risk. If you can do it without committing to accommodation bookings you would only waste the work holiday booking which of course you could do other things with...
Quote:
3. My current navigational skills/experience aren't good enough IMHO
Really? I thought you were the expert on Cardinal Marks! Seriously is the nav that hard? Don't follow Willk's advice and just keep turning right...

On my 3 year plan you've got plenty time to swat up.

But what do you need to know...?
How to read a chart
How to plan a route including planning escape routes
Depth stuff for inshore work
Taking bearings etc for when the GPS pack up
Some skills like following a contour on a chart using the sounder may be handy but hardly critical
Some night skills in-case you get caught out would be sensible.
You can probably practice these skills round Anglesy without any issues
Old 25 July 2014, 20:12   #9

I know I know, though £1500 is optimistic I'd have thought!

With dry suit, PLB, fuel, oil and accommodation if inclement it'd add up.

Will be PM Gilles after this trip certainly. I think a year or two of planning and prep and it's a possibility.

Biffer's words ring true...
Old 25 July 2014, 21:33   #10

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Hissing Sid
Make: Ross Smith Cobra
Engine: 200HP Optimax
MMSI: 235038046
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bern Hanreck View Post

I keep mentioning this to the mrs and she thinks I should stop talking and just do it so count me into your plans if you have any. ....
Jizm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2014, 21:44   #11

Quote:
I know I know, though £1500 is optimistic I'd have thought!
I always like a back of a fag packet calculation...

So Andre's 999 Challenge Guys went right round in 1350NM I think. They were doing 1.2l/NM, I'd assume you were going to do 1.5l/NM So 2025 litres of go juice. Not sure what quayside fuel costs this week. But going to assume its £1.60 a litre. £3,240 of fuel. OUCH!
So if you had 3 people sharing fuel thats just over £1k on fuel, or £1600 split between 2. Thats right the way round so if you are taking the shortcut you can knock a bit off. (??1100NM)
If you are using forecourt fuel its average about £1.32 right now.
That would reduce the cost to c£1,500 for the shortcut.
Reality must be between the two so maybe £2250 - split between two thats not so bad... Between 3 its even better
Quote:
With dry suit, PLB, fuel, oil and accommodation if inclement it'd add up.
Oil - something like 16.5 litres of two stroke fuel. ?£160? split between 2 thats £80 each
Suspect Poly wasn't factoring these in as they aren't soley for the trip and bin
PLB £200 (assume 1 each?) If really only want/need for 1 adventure you can hire (£50-70) or buy used from fleabay?
Drysuit... End of season deal £200? Suspect a black shadow will be more. Or fleabay?

You missed Marina fees. Assuming 12 day trip at £2.50/m (don't know how close that is to reality) Assuming 7m RIB about £20 a night so another £240 to be split.

Accommodation is the probably the bit that would cost the extra especially a problem if you are 3 rather than 2 and not thinking of tent. If you want a B&B every night I'd guess you are looking at £60/night for 2 people but you may struggle to get 3 beds for £90...

Fuel £2250
Oil £160
Marina £240
Accommodation £800 (based on 2)
= £3450 to be shared.
Split between 2 : £1725, Split between 3 (with extra acom?) £1300

PLB £200
DrySuit £200
= £400 personal kit
Total: £2125 if 2 people, £1700 if 3 people... Obviously lower still if 4 people BUT not sure what your seating is like...

You also missed the SCOT Seats??
Old 25 July 2014, 21:59   #12

Seats? I only need one ;-)

It's the fuel that's the killer really.

Rag and stick? Hide
Old 25 July 2014, 22:06   #13

You need more than one if you are sharing fuel with someone else!
Old 25 July 2014, 22:14   #14

And sharing helming.

Sorry for thread drift guys, looking forward to more pics!!!!
Old 26 July 2014, 06:53   #15

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
I think it's a fair bet that most people on here will have job/wife/husband/kids/mortgage, (except Gotchi) it fits the demographic. People still manage to get out there though, despite these "handicaps"............
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2014, 06:59   #16

Town: Portsmouth
Boat name: Not sure
Make: ABC/Priddy
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2 x 500 FPT
Quote:
Originally Posted by biffer View Post
We are all entitled to an opinion but should never comment on something that they don't fully understand, money is just an excuse not to do something, does this sound familiar with anyone, ie, how can we afford that mortgage, or, bugger, pregnant, we can't afford if, any of you ? , it still happens though doesn't it.
Until you've done this trip you have no idea the joy, apprehension, elation, proudness, it can bring and I will defy anyone who tells me that are not a different person for doing it.
If everyone had the attitude that they have better things to do, spend there time on or money on, then we might possibly still think the earth was flat and we would fall off it over the horizon.
Exploring is in our blood/ DNA and my opinion is, if you've lost this passion, hankering to do this type of jaunt then you are a lesser person that you were designed to be
Wait until you powerboat Around the World, it certainly changed me and I am about to do it again!!
Alan P
Old 26 July 2014, 07:29   #17
RIBnet supporter

Town: Peel, IOM
Length: no boat
RIBase
Alan P.,

Remind me again Alan, how many times have you been round the UK now?
You can count both clock-wise and anti-clock-wise.

"Ribbing-the most expensive way of travelling third class"
Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2014, 08:01   #18

Town: Margate / Ramsgate
Boat name: Bumbl
Make: Scorpion
Engine: Yanmar diesel
We planned to take magellan, a 9m Ribtec cabin - round in 2013 (didn't happen for various reasons) budget was £2500 a head x 2.

Now she's gone (the sweedish police have her for those that are interested) I realise what an ideal boat for the job she was - with a wheel house and accommodation.
Old 26 July 2014, 08:11   #19

Town: swanwick/hamble
Boat name: stormchaser
Make: custom rib
Engine: inboard/diesel
And diesel Dan, makes it easy, I could do it in mine, with 600 mile range and a cabin it would make it too easy, er in doors has ask if we can do it in our new toy and spend a bit of time exploring
Old 26 July 2014, 08:49   #20

Would be a great trip in yours Biff, certainly easier logistically and also if inclement.