Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 30 January 2010, 15:25   #1
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Gloucestershire
Boat name: Osprey
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 5m +
Engine: E-tec 300 G2
MMSI: TBC
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 4,013
Moving Sounder into the hull

Finally did the deed today.

Marked up the hole.

Took a jigsaw to my lovely clean deck

This is what you find inside a ViperMax.

Then drilled a hole in the corner of the transom box into the adjoining cavity and fed a coat hanger wire through over the bulkhead to drag the cable through.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00098.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	48917   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00099.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	48918   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00105.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	45.1 KB
ID:	48919   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00101.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	31.9 KB
ID:	48920   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00103.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	45.0 KB
ID:	48921  

__________________

__________________
---------------------------------------------------
Chris Stevens

Born fiddler
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2010, 15:35   #2
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Gloucestershire
Boat name: Osprey
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 5m +
Engine: E-tec 300 G2
MMSI: TBC
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 4,013
Pinched some plasticine from the kids and used it to create a well in the hull on top of the flat bit which is the planing pad then a few tubes of araldite to glue the sounder into the hull.

Fitted the Bomar hatch to close it all up again.

Not a job I want to have to do again
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00108.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	36.4 KB
ID:	48922   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00110.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	44.6 KB
ID:	48923   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00113.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	42.7 KB
ID:	48924   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00112.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	44.4 KB
ID:	48925  
__________________

__________________
---------------------------------------------------
Chris Stevens

Born fiddler
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2010, 18:59   #3
Member
 
Hightower's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Fareham
Length: 6m +
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 7,855
What's that stringer for Chris? The central one that the transducer is mounted next to. I thought it was part of a drain system for ensuring any water that gets trapped in the hull goes strainght to the transom end. Wish I'd paid more attention when I saw mine without the deck on.
__________________
Andy

Looks Slow but is Fast
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2010, 03:46   #4
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Gloucestershire
Boat name: Osprey
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 5m +
Engine: E-tec 300 G2
MMSI: TBC
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 4,013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hightower View Post
What's that stringer for Chris? The central one that the transducer is mounted next to. I thought it was part of a drain system for ensuring any water that gets trapped in the hull goes strainght to the transom end. Wish I'd paid more attention when I saw mine without the deck on.
Andy you are right it is a tunnel that is used to drain water throough to the back of the boat. it runs the length of the boat along the centreline and ends about 6" from the transom.

You can see it on the picture you posted although the picture has been take at a funny angle and it does not look like its on the centreline (ignore the red)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Osprey Internal.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	107.9 KB
ID:	48926  
__________________
---------------------------------------------------
Chris Stevens

Born fiddler
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2010, 04:59   #5
Member
 
butty's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: southampton
Make: Island RIBS / custom
Length: 7m +
Engine: inboard diesel
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 265
i am not sure if you hae done it, but would be a good idea to paint the exposed ply, from the cut out for the hatch, with some resin and flowcoat, or either, to seal it.

other wise water will get into your deck and you will get a 'soft area' which no one likes!!!
__________________
butty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2010, 05:48   #6
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Gloucestershire
Boat name: Osprey
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 5m +
Engine: E-tec 300 G2
MMSI: TBC
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 4,013
Quote:
Originally Posted by butty View Post
i am not sure if you hae done it, but would be a good idea to paint the exposed ply, from the cut out for the hatch, with some resin and flowcoat, or either, to seal it.

other wise water will get into your deck and you will get a 'soft area' which no one likes!!!
Thanks butty, I smeared sikaflex all round the exposed wood and used Sikaflex to seal the hatch to the deck.
__________________
---------------------------------------------------
Chris Stevens

Born fiddler
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2010, 14:30   #7
RIBnet supporter
 
Erin's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Channel Islands
Town: A large rock
Boat name: La Frette
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200 Suzzy
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 2,830
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Andy you are right it is a tunnel that is used to drain water throough to the back of the boat. it runs the length of the boat along the centreline and ends about 6" from the transom.
If it is a drain channel, where does it drain from and too? There's no opening on the end of mine IIRC. (I purposely cut a hatch into the deck during my fit-out, partly to be able to check the biges for dryness and also as prep for a sounder at a later date)

I assumed it was a piece of timber acting as a kind of keel line for the moulding.
__________________
Erin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2010, 18:49   #8
Member
 
Hightower's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Fareham
Length: 6m +
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 7,855
It definately looks like a tube, as seen in Chris's photo. I'm guessing here but I assume that it has holes drilled into it to allow water from any sealed compartment to drain into said tube and give clear access though the many bulkheads and straight to the transom area.

__________________
Andy

Looks Slow but is Fast
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 March 2010, 04:56   #9
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Gloucestershire
Boat name: Osprey
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 5m +
Engine: E-tec 300 G2
MMSI: TBC
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 4,013
As a postscipt to this I took the boat out on Saturday for its first outing with the sonar relocated and was stunned at the performance, I was getting a signal even at 40 knots+ and at lower speeds none of the interference caused by the wash from the transom and prop that I used to suffer.

The definition on the fish finder screen is also strong without having to increase the sensitivity.

A definate must do for anyone who has inkling
__________________
---------------------------------------------------
Chris Stevens

Born fiddler
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 April 2010, 18:42   #10
Member
 
Country: Other
Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 150
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 3,688
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
As a postscipt to this I took the boat out on Saturday for its first outing with the sonar relocated and was stunned at the performance, I was getting a signal even at 40 knots+ and at lower speeds none of the interference caused by the wash from the transom and prop that I used to suffer.

The definition on the fish finder screen is also strong without having to increase the sensitivity.

A definate must do for anyone who has inkling
Now part of the spec list for my Vipermax
__________________

__________________
A Boat is a hole in the water, surrounded by fibreglass, into which you throw money...

Sent from my Computer, using a keyboard and mouse
BogMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:57.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.