Old 24 January 2005, 19:00   #1
tue

Town: Paignton, Devon
Make: Chinook and Viking
Length: 7m +
Engine: 150 Etec + 125 Merc
Moulding a RIB hull

I have the possibilty of getting the use of a hull mould. It needs a bit of work to clean up the moulding surface as it has been sat in a garage for about 10 years.

It was by all reports a very fast hull in its day and was used to make Javelin speedboats (50mph with a 70hp ), over 70mph with a 115 ). Apparently they were going to use the hull to make a RIB but never got around to it.

I was thinking about maybe having a go at moulding a hull and building a RIB from it (there is also the deck mould but I won't need that). The hull is about 5-5.5m, so would make a 6-6.5m LOA RIB.

Does anyone have any experience in moulding hulls? or have any comments on the pros and cons of moulding a hull myself and building up from there?

Thanks
Old 24 January 2005, 20:33   #2

Town: St Davids
Boat name: 6 vessels -various
Make: Quinquari/Humber
Length: 10m +
Engine: Twin ETEC200s
Paul,

A thousand and one gems of advice can exist on this subject with many better and more qualified than us in the field of layup.

But before you start.

1. You may have bought the mould but do you have the right to use it. The two do not follow and you must assertain specific rights. As an example the previous owners of the right went bust but the administrators still exist and can chase you one day. That design did cost someone a lot of time and money and the mould is simply a mechanical property with no rights.

2. RCD. If you want to build it for yourself and promise not to put onto the market for 5 years then RCD is not an issue. However this is a long time so you are best advised to apply RCD. This can dictate scantlings etc as well as stability and final fit.

Appologies for making things look a tad difficult. The prospect of a good DIY build is good and can lead to inovation within the industry and must be comended.

Cheers
John
www.quinquari.co.uk