Old 29 December 2007, 21:25   #1

Town: Fareham
Length: 6m +
Moulded packaging.

I want to make some moulded packaging pieces to accomodate a pair of Gekkos and one or two other Items I would rather not have rolling around the interior of my RIB.

Anyone with suggestions on what to use and where to get it from?

Looks Slow but is Fast
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2007, 21:50   #2

Town: Leighton Buzzard
Length: 5m +
You could try the expanding foam stuff for filling the holes around pipes where they go through walls, from DIY stores or plumbing merchants.
Richard
Old 29 December 2007, 21:58   #3
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
do you have a budget in mind - I suspect this is going to work out more expensive that you first thought!

Were you thinking cut foam or vacuum/thermoformed plastic. The latter requires tooling which as far as I have been able to determine in the past rules it out for affordable low volume applications.

You could get some closed cell foam and cut it to size yourself? We have a suplier at work who for complex 3d shapes either routes it out (using a CNC maching) or cuts shaped in a series of layers which are then glued togehter to form the final piece. If he does it then there is a "set up cost" which for one offs would rule it out - but I suspect you could DIY it...
Old 29 December 2007, 22:00   #4

I kinda of thought about this stuff, very messy to use and to look at, was after a neater soloution possibly.

Is there any block foam (not seat cusion foam) that one can carve into shapes, that is pretty hard wearing and doesn't fall to pieces when being used?

I was thinking of a camera case where the foam fits around the camera lenses etc, but on a larger scale.

Looks Slow but is Fast
Old 29 December 2007, 22:05   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
do you have a budget in mind - I suspect this is going to work out more expensive that you first thought!

Were you thinking cut foam or vacuum/thermoformed plastic. The latter requires tooling which as far as I have been able to determine in the past rules it out for affordable low volume applications.

You could get some closed cell foam and cut it to size yourself? We have a suplier at work who for complex 3d shapes either routes it out (using a CNC maching) or cuts shaped in a series of layers which are then glued togehter to form the final piece. If he does it then there is a "set up cost" which for one offs would rule it out - but I suspect you could DIY it...

Themoformed plastic is out due to cost, however what the object of the exercise was to stop the visors on the geckos from getting scratched and my spare prop from pulperizing anything it came in contact with.

I never had problems with Kohaku as there was never enough room for gear, so was packed in together. With Solent Viper there is too much room

Looks Slow but is Fast
Old 29 December 2007, 22:07   #6

Town: mansfield
Length: no boat
Send a message via MSN to osprey__viper
Andy, I used to have a twin helmet holder in the rally car. Might be what your after.

Have a google for a company called Demon Tweeks, they are in wrexham. Might have summat for you.

Ya new boats looking good mate
Old 29 December 2007, 22:18   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by osprey__viper View Post
Andy, I used to have a twin helmet holder in the rally car. Might be what your after.

Have a google for a company called Demon Tweeks, they are in wrexham. Might have summat for you.

Ya new boats looking good mate
Just had a look, they have helmet boxes which are £30 or something and a good selection of bags too. Thanks for that!

Still I would like to explore what people have either used or thinking of using for secure everyday packaging as it's something that I've not seen discussed here before and could benefit all.

Looks Slow but is Fast
Old 30 December 2007, 02:14   #8

Town: San Carlos, Mexico
Boat name: INDE
Make: LOMAC 730
Length: 7m +
Engine: 200 Merc.
MMSI: Please press 1
Send a message via Skype™ to Limey Linda
Ok. here we go. This experience is from making custom cases for very expensive handguns. Purchase a slab/sheet of polystryrene ( insulation material and cheap is also closed cell so it will not absorb water) also a can/bottle of thixotropic contact adhesive. ( this is water based so it will not dissolve the foam). Laminate up the thickness you want and then carve the shape with a serated bread knife: it is sometimes easier to make it in two parts. You can shape fine detail with a soldering iron, very carefully. When shape is correct then using the same adhesive and line it with green baize or thin felt. Make sure to allow for the thickness of the lining when shaping the foam.
Hope this helps.
Old 30 December 2007, 09:31   #9

Town: West of Scotland
Make: humber
Length: 5m +
Engine: 100
spare prop protection

depending on the size of your spare prop; I've used either plastic buckets, or washing up bowls that the prop would fit in, and not wobble about, or pad it out in some easy way; I also taped the right spanner/bits that I'd drop from the original into the bowl;- this then all fitted into a space somewhere and can be forgotten until needed on a remote beach
Old 30 December 2007, 10:30   #10

Town: Kildonan, Arran
Boat name: Cowal (& Bennan)
Make: Quinquari Humber/RC
Engine: Suzuki DF150/DF175x2
MMSI: 235036953
For our Geckos we use their own padded bags - the draw cords can be used to lash them to something (seat back?), and they've provided ample protection in the time we've used them.

And if it gets too bouncy you'll want them on your noddles anyway...
Old 30 December 2007, 10:44   #11

Town: Farnborough
Boat name: Narcissus
Make: Cobra
Engine: Optimax 225
B&Q sell 4" thick polystyrene foam from which you could hot cut, or even carve, your desired shapes.
Old 30 December 2007, 12:00   #12

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Styrofoam will be better than polystyrene. It's softish, slightly springy closed cell foam which can be shaped easily without covering you with a million white bits. You can glue it with contact adhesive and you can even fibreglass over it if necessary.

For your prop storage, why don't you make a pillar on a base plate which you can fix either flat or onto a vertical surface and keep your prop tightly in place with a wingnut?
Old 30 December 2007, 17:00   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by eilean mor View Post
depending on the size of your spare prop; I've used either plastic buckets, or washing up bowls that the prop would fit in, and not wobble about, or pad it out in some easy way; I also taped the right spanner/bits that I'd drop from the original into the bowl;- this then all fitted into a space somewhere and can be forgotten until needed on a remote beach
Hey, washing up bowls is a good Idea. Don't tell the missus that I'm looking in the Kitchen dept. of our local store though. She'll think I'm getting all domesticated

Looks Slow but is Fast
Old 30 December 2007, 17:01   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limey Linda View Post
Ok. here we go. This experience is from making custom cases for very expensive handguns. Purchase a slab/sheet of polystryrene ( insulation material and cheap is also closed cell so it will not absorb water) also a can/bottle of thixotropic contact adhesive. ( this is water based so it will not dissolve the foam). Laminate up the thickness you want and then carve the shape with a serated bread knife: it is sometimes easier to make it in two parts. You can shape fine detail with a soldering iron, very carefully. When shape is correct then using the same adhesive and line it with green baize or thin felt. Make sure to allow for the thickness of the lining when shaping the foam.
Hope this helps.
Certainly the lines I was thinking of.

Looks Slow but is Fast
Old 30 December 2007, 17:06   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalker View Post
Styrofoam will be better than polystyrene. It's softish, slightly springy closed cell foam which can be shaped easily without covering you with a million white bits. You can glue it with contact adhesive and you can even fibreglass over it if necessary.

For your prop storage, why don't you make a pillar on a base plate which you can fix either flat or onto a vertical surface and keep your prop tightly in place with a wingnut?
Where can you buy Styrofoam from Jeff?

I was looking at Chris's mounting position on the back of a bench seat, the same as you've mentioned.

However where I had in mind was inside my bench seat and would have to mount it into the floor, I like the washing bowl Idea the best for my application as it's more flexible and can store spare nuts, split pins and spanners in one place.

Looks Slow but is Fast
Old 30 December 2007, 17:21   #16

Town: Farnborough
Boat name: Narcissus
Make: Cobra
Engine: Optimax 225
I don't nkow much about all the different foam types available, but spotted these guys stock some:
http://www.cfsnet.co.uk/acatalog/CFS...RIALS_129.html
Bought some glass materials off them recently and the service was good.
Old 30 December 2007, 18:13   #17
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Styrofoam IS polystyrene. It is a Dow Corning polystyrene product which is supplied as a closed cell foam [solid polystyrene is actually a hard transparent solid - similar to plexiglas in appearance]. Genuine Dow Corning styrofoam is blue, but I imagine there are other competitor products available. I think what JW was suggesting was that a closed cell polystrene will be nicer to work with than polystyrene block which is made from expanded polystyrene beads.
Old 30 December 2007, 22:12   #18

Town: cornwall
Boat name: nothing
Make: rib eye 430
Length: 4m +
Engine: tatsu 50
MMSI: 666
Hein Gerrick the motorcycle clothing shop sell really nice padded waterproof helmet bags . They have strap points on the corners so they can be strapped on a bike seat .
They come free with AGV helmets also , they gave me one the other day for my spare lid ,so I expect you could buy one for a fiver
they also come with very soft padded inner bag with a drawstring
Old 30 December 2007, 23:59   #19

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
I think what JW was suggesting was that a closed cell polystrene will be nicer to work with than polystyrene block ..
A bit. As I said, it's softish and a little squidgy and it can take glues and resin which expanded polystyrene definitely can't. I've got two types, one is blue and the other is white. Maybe I'm using the wrong name...
Anyway, I got most of mine from the fibreglass supplier.

The other soft closed cell foam you could use is ethafoam (sp?) it's like a camper mat.

I spose you could get a couple of manikin heads to wear your helmets for you.
Old 31 December 2007, 00:32   #20

Town: Poole
Make: Aquaflyte
Engine: Merc 90 2Str
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalker View Post
A bit. As I said, it's softish and a little squidgy and it can take glues and resin which expanded polystyrene definitely can't. I've got two types, one is blue and the other is white. Maybe I'm using the wrong name...

The other soft closed cell foam you could use is ethafoam (sp?) it's like a camper mat.
I've seen the name Evazote and Plastazote used for the closed cell camping mat stuff that I think JW is referring to. Link below is to the first site google came up with for "evazote"

http://www.algeos.com/acatalog/Evazo...ACK_Sheet.html

Other advantage with this stuff is that you can bend it to the required shape then glue it together with Bostik 2402 (hypalon glue)

HTH

Also a member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club
AndrewH is offline   Reply With Quote