Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 02 September 2013, 06:57   #1
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Length: 3m +
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 28
Motoring to the Isle of Wight

Having invested in a Honwave rib and taken it out a few times, I would like to at some point cross to the Isle of Wight, obviously on a very fine day! Could anyone give me advice on what I actually do when I am there. I would probably be launching from Lepe as its the closest point.

May seem a silly question and please forgive me, but do I just turn up at Cowes Harbour? Do you need to radio ahead? Where do you moor and who do you pay fees to?
__________________

__________________
Stuzzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 September 2013, 07:20   #2
Member
 
Landlockedpirate's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: St Helens
Boat name: Wine Down
Make: Maxum
Length: 8m +
Engine: Inboard
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 934
Dont need to book for a lunch stop, just turn up in Cowes and radio 1 of the marina's (Channel Numbers on boards outside entrance) for a berth.

You moor right in the middle of Cowes, walk to the marina office to pay. Its easier than finding a car parking space in Lymington !
__________________

__________________
Landlockedpirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 September 2013, 08:20   #3
Member
 
Bucksribster's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Thame
Make: Ribcraft 585
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 140
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landlockedpirate View Post
Dont need to book for a lunch stop, just turn up in Cowes and radio 1 of the marina's (Channel Numbers on boards outside entrance) for a berth.

You moor right in the middle of Cowes, walk to the marina office to pay. Its easier than finding a car parking space in Lymington !
With a boat of that length, you do not even need to go to a marina, just tie up at the town quay - see Town Quay :: Visitor Moorings :: Cowes Harbour Moorings

Raft up alongside another boat if you there are no spaces. They will charge you £1 per metre. As Landlocked Pirate says, you are right in the middle of town.

Or you can go further up river to the Folly in for a pint. Moor up at the pontoon by the pub. Again you will be charged. It is £5 for my Avon 560.
__________________
Bucksribster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 September 2013, 08:25   #4
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Length: 3m +
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 28
Thanks for the replies. I don't actually have a radio yet (I am going to get one), but the Town Quay sounds like the one, it is only a 3m rib. I just turn up and I'm good to moor?

How do you moor against other boats, may seem a silly question but don't people get peed off if you tie rope to their boat and block them in??
__________________
Stuzzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 September 2013, 09:05   #5
Member
 
Landlockedpirate's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: St Helens
Boat name: Wine Down
Make: Maxum
Length: 8m +
Engine: Inboard
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 934
Just had a look through your posts and realised that you have a 3m sib.

While the boat and engine you have got are both excellent, IMHO a trip to the IOW in it is a little ambitious. It can get very rough in the middle of the Solent and the wakes from ferries/Big Mobo's/ ships are going to cause you significant issues.

You really need some training 1st and also basic safety kit, including a radio.

I don't want to be negative, but there are lots of places you can go on this side of the water, wait till you get some more experience and a bigger boat before you 'go abroad'

In reply to your question, when rafting you must always tie your ropes to the pontoon, not your neighbor.
__________________
Landlockedpirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 September 2013, 09:18   #6
Member
 
Country: France
Make: Joker Booat
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yam 70
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 430
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landlockedpirate View Post
You really need some training 1st and also basic safety kit, including a radio.
Agreed you would do well to get some training and safety kit, especially a radio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landlockedpirate View Post
In reply to your question, when rafting you must always tie your ropes to the pontoon, not your neighbor.
Correct way is to tie to your neighbour and extra lines to the dock. Although very rarely see other boaters doing this
__________________
landlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 September 2013, 09:20   #7
Member
 
Landlockedpirate's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: St Helens
Boat name: Wine Down
Make: Maxum
Length: 8m +
Engine: Inboard
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 934
Quote:
Originally Posted by landlord View Post



Correct way is to tie to your neighbour and extra lines to the dock. Although very rarely see other boaters doing this

Not on a dinghy pontoon
__________________
Landlockedpirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 September 2013, 09:22   #8
Member
 
Country: France
Make: Joker Booat
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yam 70
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 430
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landlockedpirate View Post
Just had a look through your posts and realised that you have a 3m sib.

While the boat and engine you have got are both excellent, IMHO a trip to the IOW in it is a little ambitious. It can get very rough in the middle of the Solent and the wakes from ferries/Big Mobo's/ ships are going to cause you significant issues.

You really need some training 1st and also basic safety kit, including a radio.

I don't want to be negative, but there are lots of places you can go on this side of the water, wait till you get some more experience and a bigger boat before you 'go abroad'

In reply to your question, when rafting you must always tie your ropes to the pontoon, not your neighbor.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landlockedpirate View Post
Not on a dinghy pontoon
very true
__________________
landlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 September 2013, 12:54   #9
nik
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: east cowes
Make: academic
Length: no boat
Engine: fresh air
MMSI: N/A
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 541
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuzzer View Post
Thanks for the replies. I don't actually have a radio yet (I am going to get one), but the Town Quay sounds like the one, it is only a 3m rib. I just turn up and I'm good to moor?

How do you moor against other boats, may seem a silly question but don't people get peed off if you tie rope to their boat and block them in??
Do get a VHF even if its only a handheld one.
As far as mooring up, firstly make sure you have some rope.
It may sound obvious, but I have seen people rock up there and have to use the unused part of other peoples mooring rope in order to stop themselves drifting off.
Tie off onto hard parts (cleats, A frame, metal handles), try not to use the rubber grab handles on tubes.
__________________
nik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 September 2013, 13:26   #10
RIBnet supporter
 
Ian M's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: New Milton
Boat name: Jianna
Make: Osprey
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200 E-TEC
MMSI: 235076954
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 1,937
Quote:
Originally Posted by nik View Post
try not to use the rubber grab handles on tubes.
or lifelines as someone did to me recently.
__________________
Ian

Dust creation specialist
Ian M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 September 2013, 16:47   #11
Member
 
Nick Hearne's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Bucks
Boat name: Blue & Ding Dong
Make: Ribeye,SR4 & Bombard
Length: 6m +
Engine: 115,50 & 15Hp Yams
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 3,246
The trip I made on Friday may give some ideas Lost Anchor & fishing gear, great day out in the Solent I did have flares and VHF radio.
Have to consontrate big time in the swell with a little sib, but on the plus they are so manuverable
You do want to chose good weather and best of all see if you can do it in company.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	99.2 KB
ID:	84964  
__________________
Member of the Ribeye supporters club!!!
Member of Bombard 380 Aerotec club
Member of SR4 club
Nick Hearne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 September 2013, 10:08   #12
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Length: 3m +
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 28
Ok - thanks for the replies. I think I'll lower my expectations a little :-)

Do you reckon I could get to Brownsea Island? I just need to conquer some sort of island lol..

Any advice on launching and mooring up there would be really helpful, cheers
__________________

__________________
Stuzzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:56.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×