Old 26 July 2009, 09:14   #41

Town: Muscat
Boat name: Abdul Aziz 3
Make: Libra
Length: 6m +
Engine: 2 x Yam 75 OB
The floats found around Tristan are thought to come from fishing gear used by Taiwanese poachers. The poachers fish around 'the back' of Tristan when the islanders cannot launch from their harbour. They also fish aroung Nightingale and Inaccessible Islands as well as Gough Island (South African territory). My float is in UK on my mothers hearth - I will try and get a picture. Beach combing in Muscat is less exciting but offers a better range of flora and fauna. For example a club group diving at the weekend saw Whale Shark and a Pineapple Fish.
Old 27 July 2009, 09:22   #42

Town: Cowes
Length: 8m +
Engine: 225 Opti
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Young2 View Post
The floats found around Tristan are thought to come from fishing gear used by Taiwanese poachers. The poachers fish around 'the back' of Tristan when the islanders cannot launch from their harbour. They also fish aroung Nightingale and Inaccessible Islands as well as Gough Island (South African territory). My float is in UK on my mothers hearth - I will try and get a picture. Beach combing in Muscat is less exciting but offers a better range of flora and fauna. For example a club group diving at the weekend saw Whale Shark and a Pineapple Fish.
Has the red tide gone now?
Old 27 July 2009, 09:26   #43

Town: Muscat
Boat name: Abdul Aziz 3
Make: Libra
Length: 6m +
Engine: 2 x Yam 75 OB
Hi Rodan
Red Tide has been gone for a few months now but as you are aware this has been the worst occurrence in living memory. As far as I know there has been no real explanation of why this year was so bad. I shall be interested to see how it develops next time round.